Preparing for a Wedding

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I am shooting a wedding in October next year, a friend doesn't have much budget and prefers my photos over her alternatives and wants me to shoot her wedding.

I initially declined, the second, third and fourth time until she wore me down :) Now I want to do everything I can to exceed her expectations.

For a start I bought a few wedding photography books.. so I'll have to get around to reading those!

I know someone who photographs weddings, he may not be opposed to me shooting with him - although his style and post-processing are not to my taste - it could be an option but I have my reservations.

I messaged this company in hope to partake in a training course, but I didn't hear back - I might try again.
http://www.energyphotographic.co.uk/surrey-photography-training-courses/

Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare myself? what I should do between now and then.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know the training course you mention but don't rely on a course to teach you what you need. Far better to work as a second to get a feel of what really involved.
Get to know your gear really well, learn fill flash and working in poor and mixed lighting, make sure you have a clear idea of what the couple want and expect from you. Wedding are as much about man managment as photography, so make sure your comfortable organising things.

As Wayne says, if you have the opportunity to go and watch someone else work, ignore their results they're unimportant.

You need the opportunity to watch the day unfold through a photographers eyes, what happens when, where would you shoot it from, what gear would you need. It doesn't matter what the primary is doing, you need to work out what you would do.

Then you don't need to practice at a wedding or even go on any 'wedding' courses, study photographers you like and then. Shoot these:
  • Couples - do a pre wedding shoot with the couple and shoot any other couples that'll have you.
  • Family groups, the in-laws? anyone you can get hold of who'll let you practice in return for new Facebook profiles.
  • Macro and still life - in natural light, shoot some stuff, study the way windowlight models them - you'll need to walk into a room and find a spot to shoot rings, bags, jewellery etc instantly.
  • Your Mrs, in lots of poses with different lighting.

The portfolio building courses are rubbish, they prepare you for nothing, if you want to train, try a posing or lighting course, something that'll give you actual skills rather than puff and waffle.

Thanks Wayne and Phil, lots of good information there. I'm feeling motivated!!

The advice you have already received is spot, I really just want to reiterate that you will not learn how to shoot a wedding on a course. I have only just started shooting weddings (also for friends at first) and watched hundreds of youtube vids & dvd courses, also read a lifetimes supply of books and the day itself is completely different to anything that a course can tell you. You will need the ability to take control of certain parts of the day as well as adjust to changes in the plans without hesitating. As has been said above practise to get you techniques spot on, assist if you can to get an idea of the 'flow' of the day and then have a good sleep the night before so you are on the ball.

good luck :)

I too was considering a wedding photography course but after reading this I am not so sure it is worth it. I am less interested in the photography itself but the management side of things.

I have shadowed one wedding already and ended up with some really cracking shots and a lot of duffs as well so I know that I need to improve some areas, namely low light and fill flash as suggested before but its the organisation side of things that I want to learn.

I too was considering a wedding photography course but after reading this I am not so sure it is worth it. I am less interested in the photography itself but the management side of things.

I have shadowed one wedding already and ended up with some really cracking shots and a lot of duffs as well so I know that I need to improve some areas, namely low light and fill flash as suggested before but its the organisation side of things that I want to learn.

Prepare for the unexpected, its exciting but can be hard, there are no second takes in a one off shot so definately go to the rehearsal so you know exactly what will be happening and when.

We always make sure we arrive at least an hour or so before anything or anyone appears so we can take images of the venue and reception with nobody intruding on the pictures to show how stunning some of the churches or whatever can be, we are doing a wedding in Trent Bridege Cricket Ground soon which should be great fun so get to know the best points of your venue and use them to your advantage.

Flashes for the outdoor shots, if you have harsh shadows on one side of the face learn how to fill in the shadows, we take 4 flashes with flash benders but generally use 2 at any one time, one off camera one on.

Also have a good word with the person who will be taking the ceremony, they sometimes don't like photographers moving around too much, a recent one of ours didnt want us within 15 feet of them which is fair enough so know your boundaries or you will upset them.

Lens, fast lenses are generally a must in a church, f/4 just wont cut it unless you have a good steady hand or o/s... potentially that could save you as people don't move much once they are at the end of the isle.

Also be prepared for potentially noisy shots, we use upto iso 6400 and yes there is noise... but as always stated, have any of the couples noticed the said noise? no, only you will notice or care about it, it bugs the hell out of my photography partner and I just tell him to get a grip.

Mainly though make sure you know exactly what your friends want out of the day, I know they are your friends so will probably be happy anyway but if you make them extra happy, who knows where it may lead. :)

And most of all good luck and enjoy it!

Last edited:
and courses are the devil, there is only so much they can teach, the best learning is self learning and practice practice practice.... and it saves you a fortune as practice is free. :D

Last edited:
I am shooting a wedding in October next year, a friend doesn't have much budget and prefers my photos over her alternatives and wants me to shoot her wedding.

I initially declined, the second, third and fourth time until she wore me down :) Now I want to do everything I can to exceed her expectations.

For a start I bought a few wedding photography books.. so I'll have to get around to reading those!

I know someone who photographs weddings, he may not be opposed to me shooting with him - although his style and post-processing are not to my taste - it could be an option but I have my reservations.

I messaged this company in hope to partake in a training course, but I didn't hear back - I might try again.
http://www.energyphotographic.co.uk/surrey-photography-training-courses/

Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare myself? what I should do between now and then.

Thanks

I know Sean, his courses have a good rep. Although I think that course is very slanted towards the business side of things so may not be what you need.

2nd shooting for you friend may be the best option, especially as you'll see all the other bits he does on the day rather then worrying to much about photos (if that make sense).

As well as which, don't forget your friend has asked you a favour. Don't spend loads doing that favour. She liked your photos lots. Don't change them.

I know Sean, his courses have a good rep. Although I think that course is very slanted towards the business side of things so may not be what you need.

2nd shooting for you friend may be the best option, especially as you'll see all the other bits he does on the day rather then worrying to much about photos (if that make sense).

As well as which, don't forget your friend has asked you a favour. Don't spend loads doing that favour. She liked your photos lots. Don't change them.

Thanks, I wasn't overly sure about it - but yes I think you're right, might not be the best option.

I feel like I may get a wealth of experience from this, so don't mind a bit of investment - then I might get an idea of whether weddings are something I might like to do.

I have done quite a few wedding photography courses over the years, mainly member training days through SWPP and BIPP, but also some independent courses, a few of which were very good for someone starting out.

If you decide to do any courses then it is very important to bear in mind that it is just one person's idea of how to run a wedding business - every successful wedding photographer will have their own style, technique, workflow and vision, so take onboard the bits you agree with and discard the bits you are not comfortable with or which you feel don't fit your style.

I initially found it very difficult to get jobs as an assistant or 2nd shooter, and the training courses helped me to at least get onto the first step of the ladder. But there are loads of other resources as well - forums such as TP are a great source of information. There are also various Facebook groups and paid forums.

Good luck!

I feel like I may get a wealth of experience from this, so don't mind a bit of investment - then I might get an idea of whether weddings are something I might like to do.

I think, that unless you have a specific area of your photography you wish to improve then its difficult/impossible to find a course that covers the whole day of shooting a wedding. Sure theres lots of course cover specific points of photography, or help you build a portfolio.

But your friend already likes your photography, above many others, so I doubt that needs improvement.

I suspect second shooting ( I know its hard to find) may be the way forwards. You'll know how the day works, how to deal with a venue, the groups etc etc that way if you can find chance

Thanks Carol

I think, that unless you have a specific area of your photography you wish to improve then its difficult/impossible to find a course that covers the whole day of shooting a wedding. Sure theres lots of course cover specific points of photography, or help you build a portfolio.

But your friend already likes your photography, above many others, so I doubt that needs improvement.

I suspect second shooting ( I know its hard to find) may be the way forwards. You'll know how the day works, how to deal with a venue, the groups etc etc that way if you can find chance

Yes sorry I wasn't clear, the investment needn't be a photography course - I was considering upgrading from 5dm2 to m3 and probably renting another m3 on the day.
(if anyone has an idea on the used price of a 5dm2 in 'very good' but not perfect condition with 50k actuations it'll be good to know)

I will look at second shooting :) - my sister is having her son christened on Sunday, she hasn't asked me to shoot but I will be taking my camera of course!

Back