Prevent fogging?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys... I'm expecting delivery Friday of my sigma 105 f2.8 hsm OS lens... So the first thing I want to do is shoot.
We have a place nearby called butterfly World which is great.. The problem is its a huge humid greenhouse.. In the past I've spent the first 30 minutes cleaning fog off the lens..
Do you have any tips on preventing this?

It's basic physics, the moisture in warm humid air tries to condense on cold surfaces, somehow the camera or at least lens needs to be warm(er) when you go in.

It's basic physics, the moisture in warm humid air tries to condense on cold surfaces, somehow the camera or at least lens needs to be warm(er) when you go in.
Wondering if cranking the car heating up will suffice?

If it's the butterfly world near roundhay park? Been myself, I just walked around for an hour to let my lenses acclimatize

I’ve seen people at similar places using the hand driers to warm up gear.

The same issue can occur when taking kit in and out of a warm house in winter. In your case you need to somehow get it to acclimatise to the warmer conditions before taking photos. I’ve not done it myself but I’m wondering if you could use the same methods as Astrophotographers. They use lens heaters to stop condensation at night. Perhaps placing hand warmers around the lens whilst it’s inside your bag may help warm it up before you go in.

Last edited:
Isn't Butterfly World closed for the winter?

The web site says they'll reopen end of Feb / early March.

Last couple of times I've been I've taken a Panasonic MFT and had no misting issues, but that was in the summer so the gear will have been warmer from the off.

Last edited:
Big well padded messenger style bag. Big enough to take your camera and lens plus a hot water bottle.

Isn't Butterfly World closed for the winter?

The web site says they'll reopen end of Feb / early March.

Last couple of times I've been I've taken a Panasonic MFT and had no misting issues, but that was in the summer so the gear will have been warmer from the off.
Aw I never actually realised they close for winter!
Thanks for the heads up

Put camera and lens in a clear polythene bag and tie the top, take it in to the butterfly house and wait 15-20 minutes until the camera warms to the room temp. Then take it out of the bag and take your photographs.
If the camera is already warm when you go in, even better but the bag stops moist air condensing on your kit.
HTH

Put camera and lens in a clear polythene bag and tie the top, take it in to the butterfly house and wait 15-20 minutes until the camera warms to the room temp. Then take it out of the bag and take your photographs.
If the camera is already warm when you go in, even better but the bag stops moist air condensing on your kit.
HTH
Yep that’s what I do

Back