Prices on the up - D300 now £999 at Jessops

Edit My Images
Yes
a few days ago it was hovering around the £900 mark. The irony is the front page of the Jessops site boasts of "Many price cuts" :cautious:

D700 has gone up £200 on Jessops too.

I bought a 14-24 on December 1st for £899. Its now £1149 at the same store (SRS) 6 weeks later.

I don't know the answer to this, but generally are other Japanese goods going up?

ie Playstations, HiFi - that sort of thing.

Even when the currency was strong we still often got the **** end of the stick pricewise anyhow...

Just visited Dovercourt Photography and the Tokina 12-24 has gone up ~£115!!

I don't know the answer to this, but generally are other Japanese goods going up?

ie Playstations, HiFi - that sort of thing.

Even when the currency was strong we still often got the **** end of the stick pricewise anyhow...

There are several factors to consider:

1. Exchange Rates - the pound is very weak (this has a lot to do with our level of national debt)
2. Corporation Tax - foreign firms find it generally a little more expensive to do business here - which might explain why we perceive goods to be expensive relative to foreign countries.
3. Retail fragility - in the past, we might have seen retailers to fight more to remain competitive (despite factors 1&2), but the importance of cash flow and the inability to trim profit margins further in a recession means that these prices have to be passed onto the consumer.

There is still clear gorging going on here..

The Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S is now £1100 (if you can find one) and that has been discontinued for several months. So I suspect the price rise here is little to do with currency fluctuations as any lens in the country will be old stock and thus paid for at the old exchange rate.

See:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod124.html

ive just been looking on camera price buster and the first 2 are now out of stock.

Camera world have stock, but after that £999 seems to be the new price

d300.jpg

I've been watching the prices of the Canon 100 - 400 IS L Series lens recently, and in the last 2 weeks the price has increased from £953.99 to £1049.99.

<Sigh>... looks like i'm waiting a bit longer.

Back