prices

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
just a thought with this pandemic being virtually global , and lots of previously wealthy countries on lockdown .. what's the guessing on price structures over the next few months , will retailers lower prices and profit margins to keep some cash flow going , will private sellers do like wise i.e self employed needing a few bob start to sell unused gear off at a good price .. .. is it worth looking globally .. a lot of variables here I think ..

the reason I ask is i'm thinking about a macro lens again due to being confined to quarters ,never been able to stick to them but needs must

just a thought with this pandemic being virtually global , and lots of previously wealthy countries on lockdown .. what's the guessing on price structures over the next few months , will retailers lower prices and profit margins to keep some cash flow going , will private sellers do like wise i.e self employed needing a few bob start to sell unused gear off at a good price .. .. is it worth looking globally .. a lot of variables here I think ..

the reason I ask is i'm thinking about a macro lens again due to being confined to quarters ,never been able to stick to them but needs must
I'd say your more likely to get a bargain on the private used market.

Price of gear has been going up significantly weekly, imports especially.

More realistically you may at some point decide to get some more vitamins and immune functioning supplements. As it stands you would get absolutely raped by most online sellers compared with prices just a month ago. Very shameful.

Money is probably going to be short for a lot of people. Will people be thinking of buying equipment, when there is uncertainty on wages?

Money is probably going to be short for a lot of people. Will people be thinking of buying equipment, when there is uncertainty on wages?

Only if you absolutely must, unless you fall into the 1% category. For me the "must buy" item is a new MAC to keep me in the game at all, provided more work comes through.

There could be a point in time with a recession where people do sell off unnecessary items. Maybe the odd lens here and there but not sure yet if this will have a big impact on the 2nd hand market, but time will tell.

There will be some desperate to sell because they're in dire straights (you can decide how hard you want to drive a low price with such person - who on one hand is appreciative of you being a buyer, but on the other hand wants to get as much as possible to survive this horrid situation financially).

But no doubt there will also be those such as yourself who are financially sound and looking for gear to keep them occupied during this isolation.

Coupled with likely global supply chain impacted, I'd expect gear prices (both second hand and new) to be heading upwards, but may also find yourself a bargain - just perhaps don't drive too hard on that negotiation.

Last edited:
Only if you absolutely must, unless you fall into the 1% category. For me the "must buy" item is a new MAC to keep me in the game at all, provided more work comes through.

I have been keeping an eye open for a certain pre owned fuji body and lens set up. It is only for my hobby, but I don't feel I could spend money on another camera, when there is so much uncertainty at the moment. The cash might be needed for something much more important in the coming months.

Maybe there will be a glut of camera gear, as people try to sell off gear to help raise some badly needed cash. While camera shops might not be able to shift gear, will anybody be buying new, anytime this year, or next year possibly?

I have been keeping an eye open for a certain pre owned fuji body and lens set up. It is only for my hobby, but I don't feel I could spend money on another camera, when there is so much uncertainty at the moment. The cash might be needed for something much more important in the coming months.

If you can basically change your gear by selling up something and the difference is not very significant then why not. I really wouldn't be looking at dropping say £2k on an item now. unless say both of my bodies failed and I've got job to do.

If you can basically change your gear by selling up something and the difference is not very significant then why not. I really wouldn't be looking at dropping say £2k on an item now. unless say both of my bodies failed and I've got job to do.
But is anybody buying gear at the moment? Not unless dealers are thinking of getting stuff at silly low prices, and if / when things get better, make a nice healthy profit. :thinking:

Maybe there will be a glut of camera gear, as people try to sell off gear to help raise some badly needed cash. While camera shops might not be able to shift gear, will anybody be buying new, anytime this year, or next year possibly?

I truly hope we don't reach that point because the other end of that stick will likely have "food riots" written on it. I expect majority will be holding on to their existing gear and only making minor changes where required.

Existing new gear prices will likely be most affected by GBP rate vs YEN which is not looking great at the moment. Of course it is subject to change as the situation develops.

Novel products such Canon R5 will be likely super scarce and may command astronomical prices until after Christmas. I'd like one but realistically I will be now budgeting for it for next year apart some unplanned disaster with current gear. There is no more olympic games, and thus Canon and Nikon are not under pressure to make them on time. Canon are now instead focusing on some CORVID-19 genetic testing kit. Cameras can wait till better times.
Enjoy your current gear and do it safely. Macros in the garden or some dyi fine art project may be a good plan.

Last edited:
But is anybody buying gear at the moment? Not unless dealers are thinking of getting stuff at silly low prices, and if / when things get better, make a nice healthy profit. :thinking:

Try ebay, set BIN at your desired price point. RM still runs deliveries. There is nothing to lose.

I really would love to treat myself to a body and lens, and a few other bits and bobs. But with the children and grandchildren, wages being uncertain. Me and the missus will be helping them out.

I have noticed tech has gone up. I eventually received the EOS RP that I'd bought from eglobacal central, which worked out at about £650 in the end. But now, I noticed how much the costs have gone up, even for the RP at least £100... so I suspect things will just rise even more!

I truly hope we don't reach that point because the other end of that stick will likely have "food riots" written on it. I expect majority will be holding on to their existing gear and only making minor changes where required.

Existing new gear prices will likely be most affected by GBP rate vs YEN which is not looking great at the moment. Of course it is subject to change as the situation develops.

Novel products such Canon R5 will be likely super scarce and may command astronomical prices until after Christmas. I'd like one but realistically I will be now budgeting for it for next year apart some unplanned disaster with current gear. There is no more olympic games, and thus Canon and Nikon are not under pressure to make them on time. Canon are now instead focusing on some CORVID-19 genetic testing kit. Cameras can wait till better times.
Enjoy your current gear and do it safely. Macros in the garden or some dyi fine art project may be a good plan.

Don't see why there would be food riots, the government financial aid packages have been quite generous.
Shouldn't be many people who don't qualify, self employed should be ok too if their returns have been accurately completed

I have closed down my e.bay side for now ,in fact had a couple of big bits go through Monday and refunded the buyers as didn't want to prance into the post office with large parcels on tues . . but interesting responses so far I suppose time will tell on this . no rush anyway

I do suspect though on a global level the dollar is going to hit rock bottom and that will probably help us

Last edited:
Don't see why there would be food riots, the government financial aid packages have been quite generous.
Shouldn't be many people who don't qualify, self employed should be ok too if their returns have been accurately completed

Right now this would be only possible due to total collapse of food supply as a result of either other countries stopping exports or pretty much all delivery drivers and store staff falling badly ill. Hopefully this will not be the case. I just mentioned that to highlight what would likely be other accompanying symptoms of complete devaluation of things like used camera gear.

I have closed down my e.bay side for now ,in fact had a couple of big bits go through Monday and refunded the buyers as didn't want to prance into the post office with large parcels on tues . . but interesting responses so far I suppose time will tell on this . no rush anyway

I do suspect though on a global level the dollar is going to hit rock bottom and that will probably help us

As a one off I would take a risk going to PO, but there are alternatives like courier collection from home. Without looking into I presume these must be ongoing if they are still delivering.

Pound has dropped a lot against the dollar.
Import prices will rise.

New gear, good luck. That isn't going to change, especially when they will be selling less due to people with lack of funds.

Used gear, you are probably in luck from people selling to pay bills.

Are you living on another planet?

Many who would fall under the employee scheme of receiving 80% of their wage from the government aren't currently receiving a penny as the structure for it rolling out isn't properly in place yet and many employers have opted to pay their employees nothing until it is. Yes, it will be backdated at some point but there are plenty of people out there right now, who normally live month to month who at the moment have absolutely nothing.

The self employed people who fall into the category for the scheme announced yesterday won't receive a penny until June. As I mentioned in another thread yesterday I spoke to a small business owner after the announcement, they said they had £220 to do them until these payments were able to be made. They have 3 kids and have no way of covering there bills. They have tried multiple times to sort something with universal credit but it’s not happening at the moment. People like that have been left hung out to dry and are having to rely on handouts from family and friends.

Pound has dropped a lot against the dollar.
Import prices will rise.
And you really think the dollar will be the benchmark in a couple of months . It’s going to fall faster than a stone

Price of gear has been going up significantly weekly, imports especially.
Yup it’s almost a barometer of the state of things globally! A D850 is now £130 more than it was a few weeks back.

Are you living on another planet?

Many who would fall under the employee scheme of receiving 80% of their wage from the government aren't currently receiving a penny as the structure for it rolling out isn't properly in place yet and many employers have opted to pay their employees nothing until it is. Yes, it will be backdated at some point but there are plenty of people out there right now, who normally live month to month who at the moment have absolutely nothing.

The self employed people who fall into the category for the scheme announced yesterday won't receive a penny until June. As I mentioned in another thread yesterday I spoke to a small business owner after the announcement, they said they had £220 to do them until these payments were able to be made. They have 3 kids and have no way of covering there bills. They have tried multiple times to sort something with universal credit but it’s not happening at the moment. People like that have been left hung out to dry and are having to rely on handouts from family and friends.

I still cannot see there being food riots which was the point I disputed

If staff have been furloughed as the system requires the company should be paying them.
My daughter falls under this scheme and is receiving her salary as are others I know.
Education staff should also be getting paid, they are already funded for the school year

What about child allowance, low income tax credits and other benefits vailable to the lowly paid with children.
These would have already been in place, I know there are people struggling to make ends meet, but awful lot of waste too

Most of those owed regular payments are fine with postponing them in this crisis especially knowing they will be paid

Last edited:
How can you possibly know this?

Ok, its got a y in the day of the week so must be time for another disagreement with you

I should have said energy companies, telecom providers, local authorities, mortgage providers, water companies, credit cards, banks and all those we make our regular payments too
Wasn't including snide booze sellers, bloke who sells knock off fags, hookers, tattoo parlours, rent boys or any other spurious suppliers you can think of to get a laugh

Pretty much the same people who you would make an arrangement with if you were facing owing money in times of hardship

Last edited:
Ok, its got a y in the day of the week so must be time for another disagreement with you

I should have said energy companies, telecom providers, local authorities, mortgage providers, water companies, credit cards, banks and all those we make our regular payments too
Wasn't including snide booze sellers, bloke who sells knock off fags, hookers, tattoo parlours, rent boys or any other spurious suppliers you can think of to get a laugh

Pretty much the same people who you would make an arrangement with if you were facing owing money in times of hardship

Grow up and quit the immature remarks.

It was a simple question.
A lot of people is not most people.
Not everyone works for a large multi-national.

Still doesn't explain how you know most people are fine with postponing their payments knowing they will be paid

You really don't have a clue sitting there in your own wee bubble....

Last edited:

Most of those owed regular payments are fine with postponing them in this crisis especially knowing they will be paid

How can you possibly know this?

It was a simple answer, just a shame you didn't think a bit more before asking the question
You asked about payments being deferred and I gave you an answer.

Are you now asking about the furlough situation?
So are you saying its only large multi nationals that are paying people ?
I'd like to get it crystal clear to avoid giving you a cheap shot one liner reply

Yes. It’s the pound v dollar exchange rate that matters to us and I don’t see the pound getting stronger anytime soon.
yes the pound has dropped Peter ,but the euro will soon be having problems if not already as more countries lock down .. and looking at the bigger picture the yen is on the verge of teetering i.e no olympics to fall back on and cover starting to spread .. BUT the old adage of the bigger you are the harder you fall will soon hit the u.s.a and bloody hard to despite trumps rallying calls ,they are even more ill prepared than we were .
this virus unless they find a miracle cure is not going to go away any time soon . and I cant really believe the sheer amount of people that are in denial of that fact .. anyway thats for another thread .

And I read today online in the Independent that the Russians sent a flotilla to test our defences during the pandemic. They claim to only have 1036 cases.... hmm. Looks like they are waiting for the West to fail.

Still doesn't explain how you know most people are fine with postponing their payments knowing they will be paid

This hits the nail on the head!

Yes I do have a clue and i'm not sitting in a small bubble.
Admittedly i'm not an expert on everything like you.

I was born and brought up in the East End (the London one) we were poor unlike some today who have a different idea of hardship.
I'll leave you to get on in your own little world where you can sit and get wound up.
Not ignored, just irrelevant

Last edited:
Yes I do have a clue and i'm not sitting in a small bubble.
Admittedly i'm not an expert on everything like you.

I was born and brought up in the East End (the London one) we were poor unlike some today who have a different idea of hardship.
I'll leave you to get on in your own little world where you can sit and get wound up, just another sad old boy
My hero...:clap:
You must be an expert with the statements you keep making....
All I'm doing is questioning what you're saying.
It's hardly my fault you don't like anyone disagreeing with you or questioning what you've said.
By the way, it's not me that's wound up.......:)

Last edited:
Back