Prince Philip. **Eulogies**

That is bang out of order and you know it.
There is an old saying - "If you can't say anything good, then keep your mouth shut".
I hold no brief for either side in this discussion but feel uncomfortable that you would react in such a way to Martin's comment.

The BBC are going daft with their coverage, 4 hours on BBC 1 this morning!

I hold no brief for either side in this discussion but feel uncomfortable that you would react in such a way to Martin's comment.
He could be referring to the derogatory term used in the post.

The BBC are going daft with their coverage, 4 hours on BBC 1 this morning!

Respect that someone's husband and father has died, acknowledge that he had a particular role and say goodbye in a respectful way.

Unfortunately the UK media smells easy air time filling and the number of so called 'royal experts' dragged out to give their sycophantic/crocodile tears/look at me! opinions is not lost on the public. Viewing figures down ~60% on pretty much all channels, I've never been so grateful that I gave up my TV license.

He visited my school and music class, god knows what he thought of the racket we were making!

I know many will knock but he gave pleasure to many and was a great support to the Queen. I thought his wit was brilliant.

I do fear for the Queen, even if expected this will hit her hard after so many years.

I don't agree with the constant use of the word respect it stinks of Americana and Gangster talk

HRH Philip was a good man and that is all a man can ask for other men to mention on his passing, doff your cap and say "he was a good man"

I've been shocked at the number of people posting very negatively, I wont repeat or link to any.

My father once told me to never celebrate the death of anyone and I'm sure he was right. We can I think be thankful when the worst of us are no longer around to spread pain and misery, not to say that Prince Philip is in any way in that category, I'm talking dictators, murderers and the like but I just can not understand the hateful bile some are posting online about Prince Philip.

...but I just can not understand the hateful bile some are posting online about Prince Philip.
As I stated above, I hold no opinion regarding the rights or wrongs of this behaviour but I think that the cause is that many people are angered by what they see as "kowtowing" to establishment figures. If this is so, the more criticism of the "anti" statements, the more strident they can be expected to become. If I am right, "holding a dignified silence" may be a better strategy for those who agree with you.

As I stated above, I hold no opinion regarding the rights or wrongs of this behaviour but I think that the cause is that many people are angered by what they see as "kowtowing" to establishment figures. If this is so, the more criticism of the "anti" statements, the more strident they can be expected to become. If I am right, "holding a dignified silence" may be a better strategy for those who agree with you.

I have my own views on the monarchy and attacking it as an institution is imo a different and more acceptable thing than revelling in the death of an individual.

attacking it as an institution is imo a different and more acceptable thing than revelling in the death of an individual.
I can't argue with that in principle but in practice, it is common to attack individuals as representatives of institutions. My sole point is that arguing with the criticism is giving the critics exactly what they want.

I've been shocked at the number of people posting very negatively, I wont repeat or link to any.

My father once told me to never celebrate the death of anyone and I'm sure he was right. We can I think be thankful when the worst of us are no longer around to spread pain and misery, not to say that Prince Philip is in any way in that category, I'm talking dictators, murderers and the like but I just can not understand the hateful bile some are posting online about Prince Philip.

I've been more shocked that so many like him tbh. I would never speak ill of the dead, never have, never will, but I don't pander to the idea that we should suddenly like someone more because they have passed. I'd like to think that those who despise me right now will still despise me when i'm gone ....

I've been more shocked that so many like him tbh. I would never speak ill of the dead, never have, never will, but I don't pander to the idea that we should suddenly like someone more because they have passed. I'd like to think that those who despise me right now will still despise me when i'm gone ....

.... I don't like people suddenly pandering to someone solely because they passed away either. I liked everything about Prince Philip while he was alive and will always remember why I liked him and I will continue to speak well of him.

Keith, if you don't like some people continuing to despise you when you are gone, you can always come back and haunt them! It could be fun.

Removed because I didn't even know there was a Meghan and Harry thread.

Martin.. I've used a new post so I could activate the alert which an edit wouldn't.

I've just seen Heather's (Tigger.ufo) post with the Harry-Meghan link which I wasn't aware of. It wasn't that one I was referring to but the one on the recent Oprah Winfrey show. Then I see you're saying that any reference to Harry & Meghan shouldn't go in here. I can only assume it's to be kept to comments re the death of Prince Philip. All, rather confusing.

Last edited:
Martin.. I've used a new post so I could activate the alert which an edit wouldn't.

I've just seen Heather's (Tigger.ufo) post with the Harry-Meghan link which I wasn't aware of. It wasn't that one I was referring to but the one on the recent Oprah Winfrey show. Then I see you're saying that any reference to Harry & Meghan shouldn't go in here. I can only assume it's to be kept to comments re the death of Prince Philip. All, rather confusing.

.... All in the TP Out of Focus section of threads but individual discussion threads sometimes/often meander out of focus. :D

.... All in the TP Out of Focus section of threads but individual discussion threads sometimes/often meander out of focus. :D

Excactly .Thank you :)

I just think some of the posts here criticising others are a bit off the mark. I got two dislikes for saying that it was sod's law (for H&M)that he dies so soon after the Oprah Winfrey interview. Maybe rather 'unfortunate' would have been a better expression but it's nothing to get upset about. Where is one to post their feelings on Prince Andrew..of all the Royals..when in a tv interview at Windsor he tells us that Prince Philip was quote "The grandfather of the nation " ?

Anyway, to avoid any further comments deemed to be negative maybe the thread title should be changed to 'Prince Philip- Eulogies'.

.... I don't like people suddenly pandering to someone solely because they passed away either. I liked everything about Prince Philip while he was alive and will always remember why I liked him and I will continue to speak well of him.

Keith, if you don't like some people continuing to despise you when you are gone, you can always come back and haunt them! It could be fun.

I love when people despise me though ;)

Where is one to post their feelings on Prince Andrew..

Start you own thread rather then be disrespectful to HRH Prince Phillip by derailing this thread

Anyway, to avoid any further comments deemed to be negative maybe the thread title should be changed to 'Prince Philip - Eulogies'.

.... The OP @Nikon_Nick is probably able to revise the thread title. It's a good idea IMO (y)

There was a great comment on the TV today, regarding Philip in a sailing race during Cowes week on the IoW. Apparently he cut across the front of an Australian competitor who shouted "My water, my water"

To which he responded "I think you'll find that it belongs to my wife!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: He certainly had a sense of humour.

Other than being very rich, he does remind me of my Dad, who was born in the same year, and who also didn't suffer fools easily, and he was known to be a bit non PC at times.... My heart goes out to the Queen, all those years together, she must be heartbroken.

So many of his gaffes were taken out of context too. Yes, he could be non PC but most of us are at some point.

So many of his gaffes were taken out of context too. Yes, he could be non PC but most of us are at some point.

.... Most, if not all, of his 'gaffes' were examples of him being witty and importantly helping people he met to feel at ease with his major Royal status. The Press nearly always quoted him out of context and actively sought to create material to publish.

I would love to buy a book of his so-called 'gaffes' with their contexts. It would be extremely amusing.

He was a very intelligent man with an excellent sense of humour and quick wit. What is life without wit? To Hell with PC nonsense!

I would like Philip whether he was a member of The Royal Family or not. Like myself, he had a Greek and Russian heritage - What's not to like.

Warning added for personal attack
.... Most, if not all, of his 'gaffes' were examples of him being witty and importantly helping people he met to feel at ease with his major Royal status. The Press nearly always quoted him out of context and actively sought to create material to publish.

I would love to buy a book of his so-called 'gaffes' with their contexts. It would be extremely amusing.

He was a very intelligent man with an excellent sense of humour and quick wit. What is life without wit? To Hell with PC nonsense!

I would like Philip whether he was a member of The Royal Family or not. Like myself, he had a Greek and Russian heritage - What's not to like.

No doubt you would love a book like that, but that says more about the type of person you are than anything else.
The world has moved on and people like you and the recently departed royal haven't.
No wonder you frequent the Dorset coast, place is full of extinct Dinosaurs so you probably fit right in there.

Deleted further content because it was in bad taste

Last edited:
No doubt you would love a book like that, but that says more about the type of person you are than anything else.
The world has moved on and people like you and the recently departed royal haven't.

No wonder you frequent the Dorset coast, place is full of extinct Dinosaurs so you probably fit right in there.

You know Rich, if I was pushed to choose between the two posts I'd find yours the most intolerant and objectionable.

We all have our faults and for every person amused, put at ease or even helped by a "gaff" there will be a number who are genuinely offended but these numbers will possibly be swamped by a tsunami of those feigning outrage.

You know Rich, if I was pushed to choose between the two posts I'd find yours the most intolerant and objectionable.

We all have our faults and for every person amused, put at ease or even helped by a "gaff" there will be a number who are genuinely offended but these numbers will possibly be swamped by a tsunami of those feigning outrage.

Anyone who belittles others from a position of power are just bullies.
Call it whatever you like, but that's a fact and it is never funny to the person on the receiving end.

Anyone who belittles others from a position of power are just bullies.
Call it whatever you like, but that's a fact and it is never funny to the person on the receiving end.

If we're talking Prince Philip there are those who would argue that he was gaffing in good faith rather than aiming to belittle or bully from a position of power.

I have my own views on the monarchy which I will not express here. In all this my surprise and revulsion is that so many people are expressing such extreme views to the point of losing a little humanity perhaps.

My views on this are influenced by my late dad who told me that no one should ever celebrate the death of another. He was a man who fought in WW2 and therefore I suppose spoke with some experience of death and perhaps of celebration. The views I will express on this as that we shouldn't celebrate the death of another but could express relief not so much at the death of some (for eg Hitler and others of that ilk...) but at the end to their evil deeds. Beyond that I do think that people expressing glee and looking forward to the death of others are lacking humanity, empathy and decency.

If we're talking Prince Philip there are those who would argue that he was gaffing in good faith rather than aiming to belittle or bully from a position of power.

I have my own views on the monarchy which I will not express here. In all this my surprise and revulsion is that so many people are expressing such extreme views to the point of losing a little humanity perhaps.

My views on this are influenced by my late dad who told me that no one should ever celebrate the death of another. He was a man who fought in WW2 and therefore I suppose spoke with some experience of death and perhaps of celebration. The views I will express on this as that we shouldn't celebrate the death of another but could express relief not so much at the death of some (for eg Hitler and others of that ilk...) but at the end to their evil deeds. Beyond that I do think that people expressing glee and looking forward to the death of others are lacking humanity, empathy and decency.

I wish nobody dead, not even Thatcher, but I don't like seeing people humiliated who cannot fight back.
Can you imagine the uproar if one of those women HRH insulted had smacked his face, something anyone else might accept as a reasonable response.
My late father also fought in WW2 and if taken to extremes that was to free the world of the ultimate bullying regime.

I wish nobody dead, not even Thatcher, but I don't like seeing people humiliated who cannot fight back.
Can you imagine the uproar if one of those women HRH insulted had smacked his face, something anyone else might accept as a reasonable response.
My late father also fought in WW2 and if taken to extremes that was to free the world of the ultimate bullying regime.

Again, you are possibly taking the worst possible view of PP's comments and intent.

If you could accept that he gaffed in good faith you could begin to accept that was possibly a slightly better person than one who deliberately and in your words humiliated, belittled and bullied from a position of power. To me there is a difference. You may not agree but I've made my point and I'll make this my last comment on this except and to provide a little balance...

Thatcher had her problems to say the least as did/do those on the far left who are seemingly happy to shake hands with and take money from still living representatives of regimes who abuse, enslave, torture, use rape as a weapon, murder and hang those who's sexual practices they abhorrer from cranes... to this day.

People who rant at PP for hurting peoples feelings will I hope also rant and campaign against those who profit from and give political support to really objectionable characters and regimes in this world.

Last edited:
Heads-up for those interested :

'Philip: Prince, Husband, Father' 9pm ITV tonight Tuesday 21st December 2021 - Archive footage telling his life story in his own often outspoken words. With biographers, friends and colleagues adding their say.

Should be very amusing indeed!

Back