Printing A3+ and Border Issues [Help Please]

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm trying to get an A3+ print out but for some reason one of the borders is printing much thicker than I'm asking. I'm printing via Lightroom Print module

- Page Setup (width 330mm, Height 485mm)
- Non Printable area (6.35mm all sides)
- On Epson SC-P600 (paper size defined as A3+)
- In Print Module Cell Size (Height 431, Width 304mm)
- In Print Module Margins (6.4mm all sides)

When I print however on A3+ paper (placed vertically into printer and now looking down onto print) I get

- 1 inch border on top and right, 1.8inch border on bottom and almost a 3inch border on left ..

Thoughts?

Nigel

I vaguely remember something similar happening to me but with an Epson R2000. If I recall, it was that I had chosen a fine art type of paper in the Epson print driver, using a more standard paper type in the driver but choosing the correct profile in LR resolved. Maybe worth checking.

Strange...

When I try and input a 6mm border in the print module for Super A3 (what my printer calls A3+) LR refuses to let me go lower than 14mm for the "bottom" of the paper. You're not trying to define margins in the printer utility are you?

A screen grab of the Print module (with guides turned on) might help. I've generally had this problem with custom paper sizes when trying to print panoramas on roll paper.

Here are some screen shots .... Nothing setup vai the printer utility . all within lightroom .. What I want to end up with is a uniform border around the image ...

Thanks for any help or pointers ..

cheers,

Nige

Attachments

• print setup1.jpg
    print setup1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 24
  • print setup 2.jpg
    print setup 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Print Setup 3.jpg
    Print Setup 3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 22
I maybe didn't explain things very well so I've grabbed images of what I mean. Note that colour management is set to a profile and not the printer managed option.

In Lightroom click on the Printer button bottom right in the print module
Settings.PNG

It opens a dialog box similar to the below obviously mine is for the Epson R2000 but the principles are the same. Click on the Properties button ...
Settings1.PNG

It should open something similar to this. In media type, make sure that you select one suitable to your paper, but avoid the fine art ones. If you are printing on matt paper use one of the Matte papers or if it is glossy/semi glossy use a photo paper.

Settings2.PNG

It may not be this, but I had similar issues once and anyway to get the best from the printer you should be doing something similar to this. Hope it helps

I'm still confused why you can enter a 6mm border when I can't. Your middle screenshot shows a dialogue box that must be native to your printer ('cos I don't see that) where the printer is trying to set the margins. If I try to enter 6mm, I get... But my print dialogue doesn;t allow me to set margins
8Rc4O3A.png

If LR is taking your settings from the printer driver utility, which is telling it to do something it normally wouldn't be able to, that might be why you have the issue. I know my printer gives me crap images when I'm telling the printer to do one thing and LR wants to do another.
Some suggestions (if no-one has any better ideas) :
- Print from another application (Photoshop, or just export the image as a jpeg, open it and try and print using the printer dialogue)
- See what happens when you try and print A4 (saves ink and might point the problem towards paper size)
- Try again with a 15mm border (which would be fine on my printer because it's over the 14.1 LR is complaining about). My prints looks good with a 1" border (25mm) on A3+, plus it gives me a nice space to window mount. That's probably why I've never come across this.

Edit to add: I've also come a cropper sometimes when I've tried to print in the wrong orientation. LR thinks it's portrait and the printer thinks it's landscape.

Last edited:
By the way I've never checked this box ... is that important ?

This is the print dialogue box. I would imagine checking this would cause another conflict between the printer and LR because the printer driver will try to scale the image, while LR is trying to do what you asked in the print module. I imagine this would make things worse, but you never know, it might make things better...
Not very helpful I know...

Try again with a 15mm border (which would be fine on my printer because it's over the 14.1 LR is complaining about). My prints looks good with a 1" border (25mm) on A3+, plus it gives me a nice space to window mount. That's probably why I've never come across this.

>>>> I assume you manage the 1" border by choosing the cell sized based upon overall size of paper. So for example on A3+ paper (19x13) I choose a cell size of 17x11 ... This then should (??) give me a 1inch border around. If I then wanted to modify one of the edges, for example a signature, this could be achieved by modifying the margins ..

>>>> do you use Zoom to fill ?

Edit to add: I've also come a cropper sometimes when I've tried to print in the wrong orientation. LR thinks it's portrait and the printer thinks it's landscape

>>>> So my thikning has always been that I'm putting the paper into the printer in the portrait formatt so I make sure the virtual print in LR is oriented in that way

No idea if this is relevant but Lr has just stopped working properly for me when I try to print at A3 or larger on an Epson r2880. It ignores completely my instructions and I get random borders, cropped images and waste lots of time and effort. Photoshop printing works perfectly. Chatter on the web suggests this is seen by some other people but not enough to get Adobe/Epson trying to do much about it. I don't know what caused it but I did update the iOS at about the same time.

No idea if this is relevant but Lr has just stopped working properly for me when I try to print at A3 or larger on an Epson r2880. It ignores completely my instructions and I get random borders, cropped images and waste lots of time and effort. Photoshop printing works perfectly. Chatter on the web suggests this is seen by some other people but not enough to get Adobe/Epson trying to do much about it. I don't know what caused it but I did update the iOS at about the same time.

hmmm interesting .. never managed my printing via PS .... I guess it's worth a shot ... In PS what's the easiest way to manage borders .. ie back to trying to get a uniform 1" border around the image ....

assume you manage the 1" border by choosing the cell sized based upon overall size of paper

I tend to...
Go into Print module
Click "Page Setup" to setup the paper size (with no margin preferences)
Drag the black bounding boxes to get the size roughly correct. Usually, left to right margins need to be the same, but top bottom I tend to prefer a 1:2 ratio (so 1 inch at the top, 2 inches at the bottom) If the L-R margins are close to the top margin, I set them all the same by manually entering the border size in the Layout module. So a 16:9 photo may have a 1" border left, right & top then the rest is on the bottom. Because I window mount, it's not that important to get it 100% right, but that's my rule of thumb. Often, underneath the print, there's a date/sig, or my Lightroom (custom) plate so offsetting the print to leave more room at the bottom works well. tl;dr it's a combination of dragging boundaries and manually entering values.

One thing to stress. If you do get it all working, save it as a template. Somehow the Print Dialogue settings are saved along with the LR settings. It means that when you've done it once, it's a one-click process to repeat.
pZXr1Am.png

As to printing in PS - I've never done it, so can't help there...

Moved to Photoshop and it did what it said on the tin :) Reckon I'm going to start to use PS more often now ...

cheers everyone for the advice ... as always very much appreciated ..

Nige

I don't have any issues with the same printer in LR, although I do run a Mac so the driver appears a bit different to your.
I just choose the standard A3+ print size from the driver and set all margins in LR. Prints perfectly every time.

I don't have any issues with the same printer in LR, although I do run a Mac so the driver appears a bit different to your.
I just choose the standard A3+ print size from the driver and set all margins in LR. Prints perfectly every time.

am also using a Mac .. is this lightroom CC which gets updated pretty much on a weekly basis these days ... certainly exporting multple images as layers in Photoshop stopped working a few months ago and was well documented but as yet I don't think fixed ...

am also using a Mac .. is this lightroom CC which gets updated pretty much on a weekly basis these days ... certainly exporting multple images as layers in Photoshop stopped working a few months ago and was well documented but as yet I don't think fixed ...

Yes LR CC latest version.
My page size look very different to yours. They were all installed with the driver.

I did originally try installing for wifi but that didn't work and I did find the driver didn't seem to have as many options as when I reinstalled with USB connection.

I see your printer has IP next to it. I'm guessing it's connected via Ethernet?
Try reinstalling the driver on a USB connection.

Last edited:
Back