Beginner Printing Images

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Again,
When you get images printed in a shop is there a better place to go or specific type of print to ask for, I've taken an image today and turned it to b & w, my wife wants it printed and framed, I'm quite pleased with it too.
Do I just pop in to our local max speilman?.
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• MPT_0519.jpg
    MPT_0519.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 30
I strongly recommend using a print lab who a) offers a range of high quality papers and b) provides soft proofing profiles. You'll also want to calibrate your monitor if you want any kind of predictable, consistent result. Without a profile and calibration the print will likely look drastically different from how it does on your screen.

Online labs like DSCL, Loxley Colour etc will offer these services and will allow you to print some test images to check your set up before you go for the 'real' image as well

DSCL are good, but it is also worth seeing if you have a decent lab locally.

Lol, max speilman is our local lab

Give Max Spilman a go and see if you like the output - perhaps ask for a luster paper instead of a glossy if you get the option

While I don't disagree with what Andy into the Wild has said there, unless you're interested in printer profiles, calibrations, paper types - and DSCL can be expensive for one offs - then I wouldn't worry about it - especially if you like the final print from Max Spilman

That's a lovely Border Collie!

What size were you thinking of?

My students get their prints done at a range of places (Max S, Boots, Snapfish, DSCL etc) and the quality from DSCL comes out on top almost every time. Often the results from the high street vary quite significantly - some people have good things to say, some not so good.

If you try Max S and the quality isn't great, drop me a PM. I like to keep my printer turning over and would be happy to run something off for you A4 sized or smaller on decent paper (no charge, just postage cover).

Hi all,
Yes it sounds like a lot at this point so will try the luster, he is a handsome chap, A4 would be good framed, will keep your offer in mind Harlequin thanks.
I've been keeping my lens at 50mm and quite like it so... I ordered the 50mm 1.8s from Panamoz, I spoke to the nice peeps at Cambrian Photography as they had it at £519 the cheapest new I could see but had no idea when any more stock would come, Panamoz did it for £500 with their 3 year warranty.
E infin was cheaper by £70 but some of there terms were iffy.
I think a fixed lens will simplify things for me.
Thanks for the replys.
Mark

Hi

I use Dscl but generaly wait until I want a few printing or I'll add a few more to the order from my hard drive ones that I would like to see how they come out for future ref.

I use Max spielman for the odd 6x4 8x6 and to be honest they come out just like on my pc screen. Not bad at all.

Run one off at one of there machines to check the quality there only a few pence.

Good luck.

Gaz

For the odd picture here and there for own personal use.. some of the answers are way over the top haha... Reading your post for what it is.. I would also say Max Spielman is a good choice.. They know what they are doing :)

Hi all,
Yes it sounds like a lot at this point so will try the luster
If you're framing a print behind glass, a plain matt surface is slightly better, in my experience. I've found that lustre finishes score if you're framing without glass.

Thanks all, they will be behind glass so I will try both

Back