Prints and downloadable scans

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all. I'm looking for options on 35mm dev/6x4 prints and downloadable scans instead of CD's.

Now I've used http://www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk/35mmFilmProcessing.html on my last roll and seems pretty good, cost wise in total was around £19 for two rolls (£8 for one roll for prints, negs, and downloads).

Anyone else use theses or any other company that offer same service?

Cheers

Nick

Photo Express in Hull will give you better scans (suitable for about 6*9 prints), for £5, for an extra £2 you get downloadable scans as well. There's a £1.50 return postage fee; I don't know whether that is charged if you go the download route (they may want to send the negs back to you rather than storing them). You get 50p per film discount if you quote your TP username, min charge £5.

Filmdev give you downloadable scans for free, and would charge £5 with no return postage costs. However, the downloads are highly compressed JPEGs which might not be what you want. You can request no sharpening on your CD, but the downloads are automatically sharpened,

UK Film Lab would have been a good choice, but they've packed up and moved to Canada!

Thanks mate. There's a couple of options there:).
Love shooting film at the moment. One reason is to have prints again (family photo albums). I know I can print from my digital stuff but you just never get around to it.
I'm after downloadable scans because I actually don't have a computer at the moment, just a iPad.
Thanks again

Nick

I'm after downloadable scans because I actually don't have a computer at the moment, just a iPad.

I don't think that downloadable scans will be of much use with an iPad in many cases. Many labs send the photos through a downloading service, such as wetransfer or hightail, as zip files, which I don't think that iPads can open. I certainly couldn't do it from my iPhone the last time I tried it anyway and had to wait until I got back from holiday to download on my computer.

I'm happy to be corrected here though.

I'd guess there will be an app to handle zip files, there certainly is on Android.

Filmdev give you downloadable scans for free, and would charge £5 with no return postage costs. However, the downloads are highly compressed JPEGs which might not be what you want. You can request no sharpening on your CD, but the downloads are automatically sharpened,

Well, I dropped two 35mm films in the post at 5:15 yesterday. Ten minutes ago I took the call and paid. They told me they are trialling a new system without CDs. As I write, about 23 hours after dropping the films in the post box, the JPEGs and TIFFs are downloading; full res and un-sharpened as I requested! They will post the negs back to me. I discussed the old UK Film Lab system; they said most of their users are professional photographers who would want to eyeball the original negatives in case of exposure issues... also, they wouldn't want their negatives held by anyone else in case of business failure.

The WeTransfer download is apparently 1.4 GBytes...

BTW I gather WinZIP for IOS is a free app, from a quick search.

Well, I dropped two 35mm films in the post at 5:15 yesterday. Ten minutes ago I took the call and paid. They told me they are trialling a new system without CDs. As I write, about 23 hours after dropping the films in the post box, the JPEGs and TIFFs are downloading; full res and un-sharpened as I requested! They will post the negs back to me. I discussed the old UK Film Lab system; they said most of their users are professional photographers who would want to eyeball the original negatives in case of exposure issues... also, they wouldn't want their negatives held by anyone else in case of business failure.

The WeTransfer download is apparently 1.4 GBytes...

BTW I gather WinZIP for IOS is a free app, from a quick search.

Are you talking about Filmdev as I found their site confusing on how you get the scanned negs back plus the negs and postage costs.

Are you talking about Filmdev as I found their site confusing on how you get the scanned negs back plus the negs and postage costs.

Yes, should have made that clear, Filmdev. No return postage charge. Previously they sent negs and a CD back, by default in a stiff envelope that wouldn't go through my letterbox, so I request a soft one that does. Now they send the scans via WeTransfer only, and post the negs back.

This new system is great in terms of turnaround speed; the scans are in my Aperture library already less than a day after posting.There's a slightly annoying downside though. I've been requesting the TIFFs just in case there's a really nice image that would deserve starting the edit from the TIFF rather than JPEG (these stars are few and far between). Images were imported direct from the CD to my Aperture library, so there is only one copy on the hard drive, and two more (one JPEG, one TIFF) on the CD (filing these is a bit of an open issue). Now I will have a ZIP file in my Downloads folder, plus the expanded folders of JPEGs and TIFFs also in Downloads, plus the imported copy (normally JPEGs) in the Aperture library. No doubt I'll want to delete the ZIP file and the redundant download folders, but that means my TIFFs will have gone, too, unless I write them to a CD or other drive. The JPEGs are about 5 MB, the TIFFs are all 17.7 MB; the scans are approximately 3000 by 2000 pixels.

So Chris have I got this right?...say you have three 120 films so you send them off for 75p they charge £4 each film inc a low scan so that's £12.75 so far...now this is the bit I'm confused:- do they send the negs back plus CD for free? OR you can download the scanned images free then they would either send the negs back free or 1st class post...what's the system?

So Chris have I got this right?...say you have three 120 films so you send them off for 75p they charge £4 each film inc a low scan so that's £12.75 so far...now this is the bit I'm confused:- do they send the negs back plus CD for free? OR you can download the scanned images free then they would either send the negs back free or 1st class post...what's the system?

With their old system you would have got a highly compressed download, then they would have sent your negs and CD back. If they stick with their trial you will get high quality JPEGs in the download, then they will send the negs back. Return post has been first class; they might drop to second with the negs only, as not quite so "urgent"?

If you're sending the films for 75p that must be large letter second class, supposedly 3 days... go on, stump up the extra 21p for first class, for 7p a film you might get your scans the next day like I did!:D

@Nick Coe just realised in terms of your original post asking for print as well, Photo Express does offer prints, but Filmdev don't.

Yea I really wanted to use filmdev but also wanted to tuck away prints ( that was one of the reasons for shooting film) never get around to getting my digital stuff printed.

With their old system you would have got a highly compressed download, then they would have sent your negs and CD back. If they stick with their trial you will get high quality JPEGs in the download, then they will send the negs back. Return post has been first class; they might drop to second with the negs only, as not quite so "urgent"?

If you're sending the films for 75p that must be large letter second class, supposedly 3 days... go on, stump up the extra 21p for first class, for 7p a film you might get your scans the next day like I did!:D

Well true about 2nd and 1st class post but until I'm forced to switch from 35mm and Asda, I'm not in a hurry for 120 negs...but with Asda gone will have to send 35mm and 120 to a lab and filmdev seems to be at the top of the short list so far for "best buy".

Never heard of filmdev... What res are the 35mm scans?

I get the medium res scans at 2000*3000 for £5. You can get smaller C41 scans for £3 (135) or £4 (120), or larger ones for £8. Black and white is £7 for small, £9 for medium and £12 for large scans.

Back