Prints from slides

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Apologies if this has been covered before (quick search didn't find it) - can anyone recommend a firm that will produce 6x4 inch prints from slides (Kodachrome and Velvia). They do not have to be of especially high quality, just decent exposure and colour, as they are old family pictures not 'art'. (Although I'm digitising a lot of old slides currently, I don't want to do a lot of 6x4 printing as well, nor do I want digital files from the slides for printing). Any help appreciated!

AFAIK direct wet prints from slide film are no longer possible, with the demise of Cibachrome. So you're pretty much stuck with scan & print approaches. I think if you go to any of the labs, that's what you'll get.

I suppose you could carefully photograph the slides on a film camera, and get the resulting negatives wet printed... but I doubt anyone would recommend it!

I may of course have completely mis-understood your question, wouldn't be the first time!

You could always scan and digital print? Anybody here local to you with a reasonable scanner?

Apologies if this has been covered before (quick search didn't find it) - can anyone recommend a firm that will produce 6x4 inch prints from slides (Kodachrome and Velvia). They do not have to be of especially high quality, just decent exposure and colour, as they are old family pictures not 'art'. (Although I'm digitising a lot of old slides currently, I don't want to do a lot of 6x4 printing as well, nor do I want digital files from the slides for printing). Any help appreciated!
Back in the day if you couldn't afford Cibachrome prints people often went down the "interneg" route, which is effectively what ChrisR suggested above. There are quite a few cheap slide copier attachments out there on ebay so you slot your slide into the copier attached to your film camera snap away onto your preferred film stock and get your film processed as normal. Your biggest challenge at the moment is finding a processor that will give you proper printed 6x4 photographs rather than scanned and printed photos.

TBH I would go down the scan and print route.

Given your thoughts above is there a reason why you don't want to print from a digital file?

If you really want to avoid scanning, I have a slide copier that I can let you have. I tried that method to digitise and print some Kodachrome slides, using a Sony a7r2 camera. Using a film camera and negative film may give a better result, but for my end product of prints (admittedly A3 not 6x4) I found my Epson V700 gave better prints, and with less work.

Kodak used to make a colour reversal paper if I recall correctly, but the operative word is "used"

Thanks for all the replies; can anyone recommend a company that digitises and prints from slides?
How many slides do you have?

Back