Problem with buying camera body in the USA?

Name
Malcolm
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had a couple of replies in the Panasonic G series thread, but thought I would throw the net a little wider in order to get a better cross section of responses.

I have the chance in the next couple of months to purchase a body during a holiday in the US.
There is a considerable saving on the actual purchase price - I am aware there could be charges made by UK customs re. import duty and VAT, and potentially warranty issues if the camera fails.
Other than those potential problems, are there differences in the actual specification of the camera itself? I see notes made by manufacturers on PAL and NSTC models, but are they relevant and likely to cause any inability to use?

Has anyone any experience of buying in the US ? - Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I don't know about that specific camera but there can be differences in products if they are actually made in the USA, not usually large ones though, usually just from small differences in tooling for example.

I don't know about that specific camera but there can be differences in products if they are actually made in the USA, not usually large ones though, usually just from small differences in tooling for example.

The camera concerned is made by Panasonic - so definitely made outside the US

I once bought a Canon SLR that was made in the USA while every country bought Japanese made ones, it was something to do with import tariffs I suspect. Entirely possible this is no longer the case though.

It's how I knew about the differences in tooling, Years later I decided to convert the Canon to Infra Red and found the replacement sensor filter would not fit because the US model had a different size.

Does the price you have seen include US sales tax? I've looked to buy on trips there in the past and by the time I've included sales tax, never mind any taxes due in the UK, there's been little or no saving.

Does the price you have seen include US sales tax? I've looked to buy on trips there in the past and by the time I've included sales tax, never mind any taxes due in the UK, there's been little or no saving.

Good point - yes I have included 8.875% sales tax and it is still attractive - also there is a free power grip.

I’ve bought a camera in the US before with no issues, it was only a relatively cheap point and shoot though. There was a big enough saving to make it worthwhile.

The only problem might be if it’s worth more than the personal import limit (currently £390 for everything you bring in). If you don’t declare it and get caught bringing it through customs this end they can rightfully charge you duty plus VAT on it.

Are you comparing the saving just against the standard UK price or have you looked at the likes of e-infinity and Panamoz? If you're going to buy from abroad for a saving you might be better going for the tried and tested Hong Kong suppliers rather than risking the unknown of a US purchase.

Are you comparing the saving just against the standard UK price or have you looked at the likes of e-infinity and Panamoz? If you're going to buy from abroad for a saving you might be better going for the tried and tested Hong Kong suppliers rather than risking the unknown of a US purchase.

There’s very little difference to the Hong Kong prices - but there’s the bonus of the free power grip.
Warranty wise for the Hong Kong suppliers, Panamoz warranty seems much the best.

Back