Problem with camera

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Hello to everyone.
I need urgent help to find out what is going on with my camera Sony RX10 M4.
Last Sunday my friends and I went to the sea shore and I started doing some pictures. After about 7 shots my camera stopped working.
The Batteries were freshly charged and it seems that nothing was wrong with the camera.
All display went off. I tried to turn camera ON and OFF but is nothing happened, it still remains completely dead.
I came home, put batteries on charge, after that I tried to turn camera ON, but it still remained dead.
My zoom lens remains extended after camera stop working.
No damage was done to the camera in any way or it has been handled roughly, but it just went off and I do not know what to do.
Please, if any of you experienced same problem or know how to fix this problem without taking this camera for repairs, please let me know, I will very appreciate for any sound advice.
Alex.

Thank you Asha for your advice and the link you provided.
Camera actually came to life on the next day. It was not my camera but of my roommate, and I felt guilty that may be I done something wrong and broke his camera in some way.
Anyway, I suspected the battery, because camera is new, and my roommate used the camera about 10 times in entire year, and of course never charged the battery during this entire period of time.
I told him to put battery on charge for a night and in the morning to try turn the camera ON and see what will happen.
So in the morning he inserted freshly charged battery and turned camera ON.
After about 10 seconds camera came to life!
For reasons unknown, it took about 10 second for camera to “reboot” itself, and since when it started working normally.
So, my suspicion still on the battery. After prolong time of not use or recharge, butteries have habit to be discharged completely.
When such battery is charged, it never takes full charge no matter how long it has been on charge, and only charges to about 70 or 80% of its full capacity, which may enough to operate mechanical mechanisms of the camera, but not the electronics of it.
In my experience with electronics, low voltage and even low amperage make electronics malfunction and in some cases even can cause the damage.
In any case, my roommate decided to sell the camera and by Sony, but a different model.
Thank you for your help Asha.
Alex.

Glad to hear of good news Alex!:)

As you say batteries and electronics can play "games" and malfuntion even if only temporarily.

A bit like computers….Brilliant things when they work. A darned nightmare when they don't!

Back