Problems booting Win10 - where do I look?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a reasonably new, reasonably powerful Windows 10 machine. It normally boots in a few seconds.

The past few days it has failed to boot on 3 occasions. First 2 times it stalled at the windows logo screen. This morning it just put up a totally green screen. Hard power off and reboot and it came back very slowly (maybe 3 mins for boot).

Is there a log somewhere that will tell me what's going on? If not is there something I can turn on to watch it for when it happens again?

And yeah, backups are fine, thanks :)

I would take a look at the event viewer for starters.....also you should be able to enable boot logging in system configuration & see which drivers are being loaded. System configuration gives various options to modify boot & startup behaviour which may help diagnose the problem.

Search for both of these in the search box

I would take a look at the event viewer for starters.....also you should be able to enable boot logging in system configuration & see which drivers are being loaded. System configuration gives various options to modify boot & startup behaviour which may help diagnose the problem.

Search for both of these in the search box

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. Of course since I turned on boot logging it has been good as gold :)

Open an elevated command prompt then chkdsk /f then when told it can't lock do you want to run at restart hit y, restart when you don't need it for a while (time depending on size of drive).
Checks each drive sector and moves data if on a dodgy sector, if it ends reporting it changed stuff you have the start of a dying drive.

Back