Problems enlarging 6x6 Hasselblad & Rollei negatives

Edit My Images
No
I generally print my 6x6 negatives as square photos around 10" x 10" and use a Durst 6x7 (AC707) enlarger and RRBeard 16x12 inch easel. This is fine, apart from when I print Hasselblad and Rollei negatives, which give me two problems because they run the film vertically through the camera:

1. Minor problem: I have to compose the image on the easel at right angles. I can move around one side of the enlarger, so it's not too bad, but a bit awkward at times.

2. Major problem that I've just discovered: As far as I can tell, even though I have a 6x7 enlarger and easel, I'm limited to printing these negatives at just over 10" square. I have a few large picture frames dotted around the house which contain photos taken with Mamiya 7 and Pentax 67 cameras. They are 16" x 12" enlargements. Last night I attempted to print 6x6 images cropped to 16 x 12" paper for these frames and discovered that turning the easel 90 degrees resulted in the size limit. This is because the enlarger head protruding only around 10.25" from the column and the easel's left border being about 4.75" wide. This leaves me with just over 10" of horizontal image projected onto the easel.

This isn't a problem with cameras that run the film horizontally across the camera (Mamiya 6 & 7, Pentax 67, Plaubel Makina etc.) because the image is 'the right way' around on the easel giving me a much larger horizontal distance to play with.

A simple but very annoying solution would be to cut the negatives up as individual frames and just turn them around 90 degrees in the enlarger mask, but that would leave me with a mess of cut frames. Short of buying a different enlarger and easel, I can't think what else to do. Am I just tired and missing something obvious here?

Last edited:
I shoot 6x7 and 6x6 as well. When I print my Rollei negs I just leave the easel as it is and print the neg with the image sideways on the easel/paper. It's the same even with a big DeVere 504 that I use every now and then, in fact I've never actually printed any 6x6 with the projected image the 'right way up', it's always been 90 degrees counter clockwise for me.

I shoot 6x7 and 6x6 as well. When I print my Rollei negs I just leave the easel as it is and print the neg with the image sideways on the easel/paper. It's the same even with a big DeVere 504 that I use every now and then, in fact I've never actually printed any 6x6 with the projected image the 'right way up', it's always been 90 degrees counter clockwise for me.

What's the largest image you can print when you do that (not on the large format enlarger)? For me, that's still around 10.5" square due to the border around the edge of the easel.

Edit: actually, the largest I could manage would be a portrait image 10.5" horizontally and about 14" vertically.

Last edited:
What's the largest image you can print when you do that (not on the large format enlarger)? For me, that's still around 10.5" square due to the border around the edge of the easel.

Edit: actually, the largest I could manage would be a portrait image 10.5" horizontally and about 14" vertically.

I'm limited by the size of my easel (the blades max out at 10x12 on my easel) but if I went for a larger one I could print 13" square. This is with a RRB/Photon Beard easel (entire size is 16x12) and it's up against the column.

EDIT: I've made sense of your major problem now that I'm in front of my enlarger, and yes I do see your predicament.

On my enlarger (LPLC7700) I can swing the column around for bigger prints so the borders of the easel don't get in the way of the column, can you do so with the Durst?

Also, how are you cropping the negs? On the easel itself or with the negative carrier? If I crop with the neg carrier (down to 645 size) I can get more than 14" on the long side.

Last edited:
I'm limited by the size of my easel (the blades max out at 10x12 on my easel) but if I went for a larger one I could print 13" square. This is with a RRB/Photon Beard easel (entire size is 16x12) and it's up against the column.

EDIT: I've made sense of your major problem now that I'm in front of my enlarger, and yes I do see your predicament.

On my enlarger (LPLC7700) I can swing the column around for bigger prints so the borders of the easel don't get in the way of the column, can you do so with the Durst?

Also, how are you cropping the negs? On the easel itself or with the negative carrier? If I crop with the neg carrier (down to 645 size) I can get more than 14" on the long side.

I think I can turn the head 180 degrees so I could, for example, enlarge onto the floor instead of the base board for massive prints, but I really need to use the easel in this case. And yes, I'm cropping using the easel. Although actually, it wouldn't make much difference, in terms of the size of the projected image.

I guess one solution would be to use an easel with a narrower left border. That's the only thing I can think to do other than buy a large format enlarger, which I wouldn't have room for anyway.

I think I can turn the head 180 degrees so I could, for example, enlarge onto the floor instead of the base board for massive prints, but I really need to use the easel in this case. And yes, I'm cropping using the easel. Although actually, it wouldn't make much difference, in terms of the size of the projected image.

I guess one solution would be to use an easel with a narrower left border. That's the only thing I can think to do other than buy a large format enlarger, which I wouldn't have room for anyway.

At least on my enlarger/easel combo, cropping the neg at the carrier stage gives me a bit more breathing room between the long edge and the border of the easel so I can get a bigger enlargement. However I do have to turn the easel if I want to crop a horizontal frame out of a 6x6 neg.

Can you wall mount the enlarger? I assume that you can't simply turn the head on the column and either project onto a small table holding the easel or simply turn the enlarger sideways and use your bench?

I got rid of my AC707 because of the column head design limiting the easel size. My current M70 is much better in that regard.

I got rid of my AC707 because of the column head design limiting the easel size. My current M70 is much better in that regard.

That's interesting. Does the lens extend much further out from the column on the M70? I've been pondering changing enlargers so I'd be able to use a RH Design zonemaster. They don't work with the AC707's built in power supply.

The problem is the same whether your negs run vertical or horizontal, both my Mamiya and Bronica run horizontal but sooner or later I'd want to crop a portrait to 16x12, which can't be done even without a beard.
Spinning the head to floor projecting will get you out of a bind but its still a right faff.
I think we're just reaching the limitations of 6x7 enlargers tbh, its a go big or go home job.
Always got my eye open for a 504 that doesn't run to a grand, there was a Fujimoto 5x4 that went for nothing the other week, probably because it was collect only and 500 miles from nowhere, secksy bit of kit though...:)

That's interesting. Does the lens extend much further out from the column on the M70? I've been pondering changing enlargers so I'd be able to use a RH Design zonemaster. They don't work with the AC707's built in power supply.
Distance, center of lens to column
M70(6x7cm) approx 27cm
M805 (6x9cm) approx 29cm
Laborator 1200 (4x5") 31-32cm
I remember how annoying it was to have the easel bump into the power supply when trying to set the thing up. Never had that problem with any of my meoptas or my current durst. I'll be rebuilding my darkroom to be fitted with only the L1200 and make some other changes sometime this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the same whether your negs run vertical or horizontal, both my Mamiya and Bronica run horizontal but sooner or later I'd want to crop a portrait to 16x12, which can't be done even without a beard.
Spinning the head to floor projecting will get you out of a bind but its still a right faff.
I think we're just reaching the limitations of 6x7 enlargers tbh, its a go big or go home job.
Always got my eye open for a 504 that doesn't run to a grand, there was a Fujimoto 5x4 that went for nothing the other week, probably because it was collect only and 500 miles from nowhere, secksy bit of kit though...:)

All good points. I think I’m only noticing it because I rarely shoot for a portrait crop. Would love a 5x4!

Distance, center of lens to column
M70(6x7cm) approx 27cm
M805 (6x9cm) approx 29cm
Laborator 1200 (4x5") 31-32cm
I remember how annoying it was to have the easel bump into the power supply when trying to set the thing up. Never had that problem with any of my meoptas or my current durst. I'll be rebuilding my darkroom to be fitted with only the L1200 and make some other changes sometime this summer.

Thanks for the information, and for confirming I’m not going crazy here :)

Back