Problems with colorvision spyder calibrator

Edit My Images
Yes
I have just bought a colorvision spyder from someone in my photography society. The software installs fine, but when trying to run the software the computer doesn't recognise the calibration unit (spyder version 1) when it is plugged in.

I have previously used a borrowed syder2 to calibrate my monitor once, but now i have my own spyder i want to use that on a fairly regular basis.

I have uninstalled all the spyder 2 software and tried my best to manually install the driver for the spyder 1, but it's still failing and google is not coming to my aid.

any ideas?
anyone had similar problems?

thanks
Charlie

A Spyder? The original one? With the red middle and the suckers on the arms? Erm... you might have a problem.

Unless I've missed an upgrade, and that might have happened as I don't really pay that close attention, the Spyder was designed to work with CRT screens only so I very much doubt it would work with a TFT, assuming you have one.

If you've managed to successfully install the software you've got past one hurdle, but it sounds like either the drivers you are running aren't allowing your PC to 'see' the Spyder or the Spyder itself isn't communicating with the PC. Try visiting the Datacolor site and seeing if you can either download some new drivers or contact them to see if they can help you.

i'm not sure if its the original, but its not the spyder 2 and it is designed to work with LCD displays.

It has Pantone colorVision written on the spyder itself.

There's a few variants of the original. One with a red middle, one with a black middle. One with ColorPlus software, one with PhotoCAL, one with OptiCAL, etc.

Some only 'do' CRT where others 'do' LCD and CRT, although I thought they were Spyder 'Pro' models.

Has yours got the little triangular plastic attachment for LCD screens?

Had a similar issue with a Spyder 2 - it has to be plugged directly into a USB 2 port on the motherboard, found on the back of the pc, not via a hub or front of case connection.

got it sorted now...had to force it to use the driver on the cd instead of on the computer by making it update from the cd...mission, but its working now.

Back