Problems with laptop?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a HP pavilion with win 8 and I am having problems with it mainly with startup. It was having problems with windows explorer crashing and re-starting so eventually I did a system refresh and all was well for a few days now it sometimes has big problems starting but other times it starts straight away.....any ideas its doing my head in ???

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Thank you - yeah I haven't done the clean boot yet but I have done malware scan and nothing found. The bizarre thing is how it does not act up all the time. I can go a few days with no problems then the next time I will have loads and once its started I have no problems

Run a disk check and see if it shows errors if it does start backing up

Run a disk check and see if it shows errors if it does start backing up

Done that and I got no errors.... BUT it acted up on startup and I did a system check and it said something about memory management or something

I have just re-started it twice and its loading fine.... I will do so in a day or so and it will give me loads of problems.. I don't understand this random thing. In the past when a PC acted up it did it all the time when starting etc so easy to fix - this is just weird

Try running AVG PC Tune Up 2014, it's free for 24 hours and gets rid of most things in your start up menu that could be causing troubles. You can also reset your registry and so on. Just go through all the options then remove the program.

Sounds like a physical problem to me. Something not seated properly/dodgy internal cable or plug. Could be the CPU fan starting sluggish and the bios protecting the PC by not starting up. As you've seen a memory error report maybe try removing and reseating the memory.

I recently fixed a pavillion laptop with a dodgy CPU fan and it did similar things to yours. HP knew about it and the fix was to update the bios to the latest version. Hope yours is that simple.

Check it's not a fan related problem. Is the fan running and blowing out hot air? Dust bunnies in vents? Remove and reseat the ram just in case. Is it more problematic from a cold power up or when it's been used a while?

Try running AVG PC Tune Up 2014, it's free for 24 hours and gets rid of most things in your start up menu that could be causing troubles. You can also reset your registry and so on. Just go through all the options then remove the program.

I will try that - thanks

Sounds like a physical problem to me. Something not seated properly/dodgy internal cable or plug. Could be the CPU fan starting sluggish and the bios protecting the PC by not starting up. As you've seen a memory error report maybe try removing and reseating the memory.

I recently fixed a pavillion laptop with a dodgy CPU fan and it did similar things to yours. HP knew about it and the fix was to update the bios to the latest version. Hope yours is that simple.
Check it's not a fan related problem. Is the fan running and blowing out hot air? Dust bunnies in vents? Remove and reseat the ram just in case. Is it more problematic from a cold power up or when it's been used a while?

I did actually remove and re-seat the RAM and that did make a BIG difference - it was like new again starting up very quickly but its soon gone back to the same way.

I have just had this laptop off for a few hours and came back to it and its took me about 30min to get it to start. Often the little rotating icon when starting just freezes and that is that.....this time I got it to start with a hard reset remove battery hold power for about 20 sec then putting battery and power lead back and it worked - this time. The fans are working and blowing hot air so I assume they are OK

I have also updated the BIOS well I used HP website and downloaded what looked like the latest and its made no difference

I tell you what I had and still have a fuji seimans laptop that I have had for years and its still going strong this stupid HP laptop has been a pain since I got it with little niggling things like when it was on and I unplugged then went back to it, it would not respond at all and I had to force it to switch off (holding power button down)

Last edited:
Hmm. If it still plays up in clean boot I'd buy some more RAM. You could try memtest off a boot CD I guess, too

Hmm. If it still plays up in clean boot I'd buy some more RAM. You could try memtest off a boot CD I guess, too

I don't have a boot CD Win 8 came with the laptop.

So maybe dodgy RAM then ?

Even the HP support site and forums are trash..... I will NEVER buy HP again

Make a bootable CD or USB flash drive and check the bios is set to boot from CD or USB before the hard drive. The CD or USB stick could have a linux stand alone version on it or just a basic dos. If it always boots fine to the media their may be something flakey with the windows install. Problems I saw with the fan never got past the bios.

Also check windows event viewer. Tbh usually bad ram results in blue screens but it can do really weird stuff. A boot CD with memtest on is a good idea

Back