Problems with my Vivitar 28mm lens

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have two Vivitar 28mm Wide Angle lenses, both Komine versions. One is the PK mount f/2.8 Wide Angle, but the one I really like is the PKA mount f/2.8 Wide Angle Close Focus very well regarded. However, I'm having a little trouble with the latter. The ring with the depth of field scale and the focus indicator is turning with the aperture ring, with no clicks! If I grip it carefully I can turn them separately, but it's not possible to do so in normal use. If it slips into A mode it's even harder to get out again.

I've checked using the depth of field preview on the Pentax MX (push the timer lever towards the lens), and the aperture is opening and closing depending on where bot rings are turned (and the aperture seen through the viewfinder telltale seems correct) so the lens is presumably usable. However, since the focus point indicator turns with the aperture, there's obviously no way to zone focus!

Any ideas? Time for a CLA?

Other than a CLA you could try a minute drop of WD40?

I don't know where I'd put it... the problem is the ring between the aperture ring and the focus ring moving, rather than stiffness of the aperture ring, I think.

I don't know where I'd put it... the problem is the ring between the aperture ring and the focus ring moving, rather than stiffness of the aperture ring, I think.

Well I'm assuming something is sticking so you could put a tiny drop to where you think might be a problem...a tiny drop over a few places wont do any harm, but too much could filter down onto the blades or lenses. An annoying problem as a CLA would probably cost about £30-£40 and to get another one would be about £30-£40. I have both ordinary and close focus but they aren't Pentax mount and don't use them much

Back