Beginner problems with panasonic g85

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I recently purchased the panasonic g85 and when I put it into manual (M) all the pictures are black! - sometimes they are very very dark and others they are just completely black, I have tried playing about with settings to fix it, and it's just not happening, all the other settings on the camera are working well and I'm pretty pleased with their picture quality, I am a new camera used and never used anything but a point and shoot before so maybe I have done something wrong, but it was like that straight out of the box as well can anyone please offer some advice? I've watched tutorials to try different settings as well and nothing seems to be helping

When you have it in manual what do you have your aperture, shutter speed and ISO set at?

Are you chaging the shutter speed to allow enough light in?
I’m guessing not, otherwise you wouldn’t be getting underexposed photos.

Why are you putting it in manual mode if you don’t know how to use it? Don’t run before you can watch walk.

I was just wanting to try it out, I am hoping to get myself a little course soon, but wanted to check that it was me that's the problem and not the camera lol, I haven't adjusted shutter speed yet

wow £600+ camera and you don't know how to adjust the shutter speed money better spent on some training methinks rtm is the only help I can offer

Set the camera to "P", see what settings it gives and try to dial these in when you choose "M".

If you manage to do this, you should get a similar result between "P" and "M".

"M" is for Manual and as a result you as the photographer need to set the right ISO, aperture and shutter speed to get a properly exposed picture.

"P" figures this out automatically for you.

wow £600+ camera and you don't know how to adjust the shutter speed money better spent on some training methinks rtm is the only help I can offer
What a condescending reply. they don't need to spend money on training. They can ask away on here.
Fortunately most members are helpful and not condescending @holes, methinks.

Last edited:
Have a look at some of these videos on YouTube.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf....64.mobile-gws-serp..0.1.155....0.91A21JRThNU
It's amazing what you will learn from a few videos and a bit of practice with your new camera.
I have the same camera and it's a great bit of kit.
What lens/lenses do you have?
There's also a thread for panasonic G series owners.
Have a look in there, they're a friendly bunch....mostly :D
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-g-series-owners-thread.262800/page-297

Last edited:
thank you everyone! I have fixed it now and it was me all along lol, I am really enjoying the camera so far and getting some nice results on all the other settings, I will check out the youtube videos as well thank you,
and I do know it may seem silly having a £600 camera when I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I wanted something nice to learn with :) and despite my silly mistakes with the manual settings I have actually managed to get some pretty nice shots with it so far so don't regret my purchase at all and am excited to learn more as I go :)

I would reccomend shooting in A or S mode (Aperture/Shutter priority) and put the camera in auto ISO - that will help you learn how those things affect the shot from an artistic perspective whilst the camera sorts the exposure for you. Of course combine that with reading up on the exposure triangle as mentioned above and you should be on your way in no time :)

(FYI, I very rarely shoot in manual mode myself unless the camera starts to struggle, it's just not required most of the time, despite what people say :) ).

thank you everyone! I have fixed it now and it was me all along lol, I am really enjoying the camera so far and getting some nice results on all the other settings, I will check out the youtube videos as well thank you,
and I do know it may seem silly having a £600 camera when I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I wanted something nice to learn with :) and despite my silly mistakes with the manual settings I have actually managed to get some pretty nice shots with it so far so don't regret my purchase at all and am excited to learn more as I go :)

There is an old book but still very helpful for someone starting from scratch called understanding exposure, you should be able to pick up a copy quite easily. It’s a very good starting point for someone starting fresh.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-Shoot-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390

If your struggling with understanding all the different modes, have a look for Mike Browne on YouTube. His videos are very easy to understand and follow.

What a condescending reply. they don't need to spend money on training. They can ask away on here.
Fortunately most members are helpful and not condescending @holes, methinks.
The most polite quote I've ever had thank you, LOL. I still stand by my statement people blow shedloads of money on gear before even spending 10 minutes learning about photography. I started with a Nikon d50 second hand then when I began to get to grips with it I moved on. i did not buy a d700 until 4 yrs after i started to "get it right". i have seen many people come on here and say I just bought a camera way beyond my ability and i don't know whats wrong. maybe i just don't get the gear before the learning thing. or maybe i missed something

"and I do know it may seem silly having a £600 camera when I don't have a clue what I'm doing"

Last edited:
Buying an entry level camera to learn on, then changing to a better model once you have learned the basics, can result in loosing money. Much better to buy a better body to learn on, then once mastered the basic skills, you can access all the other features, a better body has to offer. I use an entry level camera, but only because of limited cash at time of purchase.

Best advice here is to use the semi auto modes for now, and learn the exposure triangle as you go.

M mode just offers more direct control over exposure, once you begin to understand how aperture, shutter speed and ISO affect exposure M mode will be much clearer for you. For now you are getting images that please you in the other modes so why not stick to them? :)

Head to the Panasonic thread in the equipment section and you'll get all the tips on this camera you need

Back