"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Where are you finding all of these birds? none really visiting our garden yet bar Starlings

IR33 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

cant really show the results of a different lens...i kept the 14-45 from the G1
but the G5 really has more range of iso and speeds..to chose from and a better feel...good grip and shutter position...like the touch screen to change menus

ross castle, killarney, ireland
last week

Anybody have the GH4? Does this have the in camera RAW processing that the G80 has? Wondering about swapping the G80 for the GH4 to gain slightly better build and weatherproofing.

Anybody have the GH4? Does this have the in camera RAW processing that the G80 has? Wondering about swapping the G80 for the GH4 to gain slightly better build and weatherproofing.

I have the GH4, it does have the in cam raw processing, not sure if the G80 gives you any extra options though.

I have the GH4, it does have the in cam raw processing, not sure if the G80 gives you any extra options though.

Perfect thanks, I'll pop up a screenshot later on when I'm home, and if you get a sec to have a look, I'd really appreoacte it! Theoretically, I think they will be identical as they were launched similar time.

The G80 has IBIS, the GH4 does not, they are also both weather sealed - I wasn't aware the GH4 had better WR?

The GH4 does have it's own advantages though, it can do 1/8000 mechanical, but then it lacks the ESS, faster continuous shooting, a headphone socket, I think it might have better 4K? and slightly better dynamic range.

If anyone who's got the 60mm macro but never uses, and fancies trading for a PL-15mm 1.7, hit me up in classified.

Last edited:
I'm just sat here looking at MFT pictures.

This was taken with my Panasonic G1 and 14-42mm, cropped a bit as the lens wouldn't focus closely enough. It's sharper on my screen than it looks here but I don't think it needs to be razor sharp. I used to like the output from the G1 and I think that at ISO 100-400 it was excellent.

1-_1000701-C1.jpg

I've used a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro a lot on my Panasonic cameras. This was taken with that lens on my G1.

_1140564.JPG

This was taken with My GX9 and the Sigma macro.

1-P1000349-R.jpg

Last edited:
My GX7 and Panasonic 45-150mm.

1-P1100605.jpg

GX80 and that 45-150mm again, at f5.6. I like the colours.

P1020204-C.jpg

Thinking on getting the 45-150, want to get the 12-40 first though. The 45-150 works really well with Raynox adapters for macro, and it will be fine for my garden bird shots too. If it's not long enough I'll just get a 200+mm vintage for that purpose for the winter. I had the Olympus 40-150 4-5.6 and it was grand, but the Pany one should work better on the G80 as it was updated to take advantage of dual IS

Richmond, North Yorkshire, early autumn.

Panasonic GX8 & Lumix G 42.5mm f1.7

i-BVFLxwN-XL.jpg

i-LJxTrz8-XL.jpg

i-GK7NCgD-XL.jpg

i-rL9jNbP-XL.jpg

Very nice. How do you find that 42.5 Pany? It's been on my radar for some time

Lovely lens, very sharp, very small and great close focus, with one of these you hardly need a macro lens.

Have you still got that Pan Leica 15mm for sale ? I have had my CHB repared today and it was not the big expensive part I needed after all :)

Lovely lens, very sharp, very small and great close focus, with one of these you hardly need a macro lens.

Have you still got that Pan Leica 15mm for sale ? I have had my CHB repared today and it was not the big expensive part I needed after all :)

It's on it's way to MPB, if they don't offer what I'm expecting then I might have them return it though. I mean, they shouldn't try bump it down as it was bought from them not long ago and has only had casual use, but they do chance it. Trading in for a 12-40 pro, that should cover most of what I need, that has really good close focus capability too. With my Raynox macro adapter it's almost as good as a true macro lens at 40mm. Still fancy having a fast prime in the bag though for portraits. Another one I had my eye on was the Sigma 30mm 1.4, very cheap considering it's a 1.4 and apparently very sharp.

Good news for me on my 15mm trade in, it was accepted as being in 'Like new' condition, just completed payment on the trade so hopefully will have a 12-40 2.8 pro lens early next week.

Totally recommend the Panny 12-35 ;)

Thought about that one too, but from what I gather the Oly is a bit sharper, it's better built, it's got the extra bit of length which is useful for portraiture and also for macro with add-ons [which I will be doing] and I like the clutch mechanism to switch to MF. It also focuses closer and has a much better magnification reproduction 1:3.3 Vs 1:5.8, so will be better for macro and close up even without any attachment. It is one of Olympus's best ever according to many. The Pany 12-35 has it's own advantages of course, it works in tandem with the Dual IS system so will be that bit better for hand-held long exp. I don't think you can go wrong with either tbh

Last edited:
well done Keith

well done Keith

Cheers, it's a good sign that I'm looking after my gear at least :) Still won't be fully satisfied until I have the lens in my hands though.

Now for a tele .... have my eye on a Nikon 200 F4 AI, by all accounts a little cracker. Will have to get a Nikon adapter first though

Thinking on getting the 45-150, want to get the 12-40 first though. The 45-150 works really well with Raynox adapters for macro, and it will be fine for my garden bird shots too. If it's not long enough I'll just get a 200+mm vintage for that purpose for the winter. I had the Olympus 40-150 4-5.6 and it was grand, but the Pany one should work better on the G80 as it was updated to take advantage of dual IS

I have some 67mm close up filters and I've just ordered a step up ring to give them a try on my Panasonic 45-150mm. It's a while since I've used them so I'll be interested to see how they perform with the 45-150mm.

I have some 67mm close up filters and I've just ordered a step up ring to give them a try on my Panasonic 45-150mm. It's a while since I've used them so I'll be interested to see how they perform with the 45-150mm.
An achromatic like a Raynox would be better quality and will work well with lens.

An achromatic like a Raynox would be better quality and will work well with lens.
I haven't come across any real deal breaking issue with these close up filters so far.

These will suffer from being posted here but they look ok on my screen and all have been printed and look nice. None of these will be as good as a decent close up or macro lens.

1-IMG_6132-R.jpg

1-IMG_6133-R.jpg

1-IMG_6144.jpg

1-Img_7829.jpg

The main issue is the fall off and old lens look they can give but I find that I actually like it in these very shallow DoF shots. I don't remember have any real colour related issues.

Last edited:

Should work fine, I had close up filters in the past for macro and had some fun with them. What I prefer about the Raynox version is the clip - and it is a bit sharper in my experience but that could be down to the cheap filters I had before. The ability to just clip it on and off in seconds can be invaluable - makes it no more restrictive than a true macro lens. Depending on the diopter of your close up, you can achieve beyond 1:1 easily with the 45-150. Here's a calculator to work it out: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/extreme-macro-closeup-lenses/#calculator

The 45-150 has a magnification of 0.17, at 150mm with an 8 diopter filter you get just over 1.5:1 [closer to 1:1 at 100mm] - this is what the Raynox 250 essentially is, an 8 diopter close up element, Raynox is just the brand, they are known to be one of the better ones though.

I haven't come across any real deal breaking issue with these close up filters so far.

These will suffer from being posted here but they look ok on my screen and all have been printed and look nice. None of these will be as good as a decent close up or macro lens.

View attachment 137410

View attachment 137411

View attachment 137412

View attachment 137413

The main issue is the fall off and old lens look they can give but I find that I actually like it in these very shallow DoF shots. I don't remember have any real colour related issues.

Have a look at this
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ose-up-filters-a-practical-comparison.567527/

Cheers, it's a good sign that I'm looking after my gear at least :) Still won't be fully satisfied until I have the lens in my hands though.

Now for a tele .... have my eye on a Nikon 200 F4 AI, by all accounts a little cracker. Will have to get a Nikon adapter first though
I was advised against the Nikon one Keith ,look for a metal bodied vivitar f3.5 not the one with the rubber grip . A totally stunner of lens I’ve even done b.i.f with mine ,they come in a variety of mounts as well

I was advised against the Nikon one Keith ,look for a metal bodied vivitar f3.5 not the one with the rubber grip . A totally stunner of lens I’ve even done b.i.f with mine ,they come in a variety of mounts as well

Who told you the Nikon was bad? Everywhere I look it gets rave reviews, some even going as far as to suggest it's one of Nikon's sharpest tele lenses ever made. It's the AI one specifically I want, there is 2 other AI-s versions that are pug-ugly. The AI version is very neat and tidy. I'll look more into it, I've come across the Vivitar in my searches, seems to be available in numerous mounts. What mount is yours? If I did go for that I would look for one in a mount I might make more use of. Just searched now and finding ones in Minolta MD mount, which could be interesting, also PK [Pentax] - which could lead to some Takumars

This is the Nikon I want: http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikkor200mmf4.html

Good ol' Rockwell raves on it too: https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/200f4ai.htm

Is it this one @the black fox https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vivitar-...h=item3b1f401e46:g:p94AAOSwH~RbvcZq:rk:8:pf:0

Last edited:
I'm sure the Reynox is better and at that cost it should be, my set of close up filters in their nice box cost £14 but that was some years ago. They're ok for me and if I wanted sharp I'd use my A7 and... something...

I also have a set of tubes somewhere but I find them too much of a faff on.

I'm sure the Reynox is better and at that cost it should be, my set of close up filters in their nice box cost £14 but that was some years ago. They're ok for me and if I wanted sharp I'd use my A7 and... something...

I also have a set of tubes somewhere but I find them too much of a faff on.

Why would you use the A7 if you wanted sharp? if anything, M43 is much better suited to macro with film lenses, as you're just making use of the sharpest central area of the lens. I have never been found wanting for more sharpness when it comes to macro on M43 - check my mushroom image above, the one with the bite mark - that's from the Canon FD 50mm macro [lens alone, no Raynox], don't think I would want it any sharper

Who told you the Nikon was bad? Everywhere I look it gets rave reviews, some even going as far as to suggest it's one of Nikon's sharpest tele lenses ever made. It's the AI one specifically I want, there is 2 other AI-s versions that are pug-ugly. The AI version is very neat and tidy. I'll look more into it, I've come across the Vivitar in my searches, seems to be available in numerous mounts. What mount is yours? If I did go for that I would look for one in a mount I might make more use of. Just searched now and finding ones in Minolta MD mount, which could be interesting, also PK [Pentax] - which could lead to some Takumars

This is the Nikon I want: http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikkor200mmf4.html

Good ol' Rockwell raves on it too: https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/200f4ai.htm

Is it this one @the black fox https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vivitar-...h=item3b1f401e46:g:p94AAOSwH~RbvcZq:rk:8:pf:0

that vivitar looks similar Keith , here's one I took a week or so ago follow it through to Flickr there a few in the series . mines a Nikon mount btw . probably only going to keep nikon mount ones now ... I was advised by the head concho on " photography with classic lenses " on the f/b group
manual focus no.2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back