Produce and share a Zine - do something with your photos!

Very interesting project...
Just to note, if you haven't already corrected it... you have a spelling error on your 'write-up' . It should read 'On the morning of...'
Ta. I hates typos. That's that lot of zines scrapped!

Last edited:
I do proofreading free of charge :LOL:
Although, I think you'll be double checking your work from now on :LOL:
It's rare anything slips through my check, check, and check again routine.

On the positive side it means I can get it done with a heavier cover next time round.(y)

Well I've got as far as creating the inner pages as PDF files.

Todays lesson was how to create and use a droplet (to convert to CYMK colour profile)

As true colour isn't really important for this particular set, I was fairly relaxed about this as there were a number of options in the save dialogues that I wasn't fully comfortable with (for example, when saving as a pdf file why are there 2 colour profile boxes to tick, and why can you select both???)

Next task will be the text which I'm intending to be on the inner front cover, although given this may be laminated, I'm not sure how wise that is. This is always assuming I can think of something pertinent to say of course.

Next task will be the text which I'm intending to be on the inner front cover, although given this may be laminated, I'm not sure how wise that is. This is always assuming I can think of something pertinent to say of course.

I'm not 100% certain but I expect only the outside of the cover will be laminated. It might be worth contacting Mixam to ask.

OK I'm a little early I guess, but I'm ready to push the go button. I think this could become addictive.

Impressed with the base cost, less so when you add a laminate to the cover and the postage, but overall, assuming the quality is good, it seems fantastic value for money once you hit about 20 copies

OK I'm a little early I guess, but I'm ready to push the go button. I think this could become addictive.

Impressed with the base cost, less so when you add a laminate to the cover and the postage, but overall, assuming the quality is good, it seems fantastic value for money once you hit about 20 copies

Do it! But check your spelling first!!

After making four dummies on my home printer I've ordered a single copy from Doxdirect for £6.82.

I may yet revert to Plan Chicken though!

mine of course is landscape, but I may put one together to see what the results are like, nice find
I think it was @sirch who found it. And also had your problem.

doesn't appear to include covers. Could do an A4 portrait with the A5 landscape photos....that should work

It is a bit limited. But for £1.80 postage it's worth a shot.

I just did an A5 version with all the images rotated 90 degrees so the binding will be at the top rather than at the side but the page layout will be the same. Hopefully it's on it's way in the next few days.

Mine arrived today, great service from Mixam but I need to do more work on it I think

Mine arrived today, great service from Mixam but I need to do more work on it I think

what was the print quality like? I have had problems in the past with prints being too dark even when working on calibrated screens, so I do try and edit brighter for printing, but find it a bit hit and miss, and with this being prints from PDF....

what was the print quality like?
The contrast/exposure is pretty good, the colours are a bit hit and miss, mainly too red/orange but then I didn't apply any print profiles etc. Going to have a look if Mixam supply printer profiles. I will probably go for another test print, at £1.80 there's not a lot to lose.

The contrast/exposure is pretty good, the colours are a bit hit and miss, mainly too red/orange but then I didn't apply any print profiles etc. Going to have a look if Mixam supply printer profiles. I will probably go for another test print, at £1.80 there's not a lot to lose.
There's a limit on tests. One per month IIRC.

There's a limit on tests. One per month IIRC.
Well (hastily checks the first post ... ) I've got until April :)

There is a CYMK profile to apply for Mixam, coated GRACol 2006
Thanks, I guess PS - print to file with that profile then put those files in the PDF?

Thanks, I guess PS - print to file with that profile then put those files in the PDF?
Are you using DTP software to make the PDF?

All I've ever done is export jpegs from Lightroom (sRGB), stick them in my DTP software then export as a PDF using default settings. So far colours have been fine, but like @flook999 I have had brightness issues sometimes.

When I have my samples from Doxdirect and Mixam from the same PDF I'll be able to compare how they treat my unprofessional procedure.

Last edited:
Yes, I uploaded a single PDF with all pages from MS Publisher (turns out I had a copy) may be I'll try the same from Scribus

I'm dreading doing a colour one. Black and white though is working fine for me!

Mine doesn't rely on accurate colour representation thankfully, though I do have concerns over image brightness

Well, for me, Silk paper from Mixam is fine. If I ever want to use Natural, I'll probably have to do some work, but Silk looks just like it does on my screen. I'm "lucky" though in that I spent quite a bit of time to get my screen to represent what came out of my home printer. Getting physical prints to look like you want can be a nightmare.

It's worth it though in the end.

Great service from Mixam, I emailed them on Sunday to ask about the colour issue I had, they emailed back 7:30 Monday morning and suggested that I try another test print with CMYK. So I have learned how to use Scribus (well just a bit of it anyway) output the images as CMYK JPEGS embedding the ICC profile, redone the whole thing and uploaded for another test print. Phew! Fingers crossed

Back