Produce and share a Zine - do something with your photos!

I'd be interested to hear what this is like. Scribus does my head in at times!

In the spirit of

"Daddy, what did you do in the corona virus crisis?" . . . "I bought a load of sh!t I didn't need"

I've just splurged the £24, I'll let you know some first impressions later

I'd be interested to hear what this is like. Scribus does my head in at times!
Not sure how useful my opinion will be, even though I have used Scribus a little.

I've used Affinity Photo a bit (but still primarily use Photoshop) and have found it to be very good, and given the reviews of Affinity Publisher, my expectations are high.

OK, I've had 15 mins with it and it's an impressive amount of software for the money. I recreated the cover plus two pages from my zine, using guides, master pages, gradient background, page numbers etc. in those 15 mins. I had to google a couple of how-tos but it all feels pretty familiar and easy to use. The document can be set up as CMYK and there are options in the PDF export to convert images to CMYK. The only thing I noticed as a potential issue is that it's not overburdened with fonts

OK, I've had 15 mins with it and it's an impressive amount of software for the money. I recreated the cover plus two pages from my zine, using guides, master pages, gradient background, page numbers etc. in those 15 mins. I had to google a couple of how-tos but it all feels pretty familiar and easy to use. The document can be set up as CMYK and there are options in the PDF export to convert images to CMYK. The only thing I noticed as a potential issue is that it's not overburdened with fonts
I might give it a go. It'll give me something to learn and I have a 'book' I might as well put together while there's nothing else to do. I think I can just about afford £24 as I'm not putting petrol in teh car at the moment...

Any further experience?

Any further experience?
No sorry, I've not really got anything specific to do with it at the moment so it might be a while before I get much more experience. As I said it's impressive for £24, it just looks and feels like something that you might expect to be in the £100-£200 range.

How strange. Got my six copies from Doxdirect and one is a different colour to the rest. :thinking:

What was the cost from Doxdirect Paul? Looking for an alternative to ordering 20 from Mixam
I don't know about Paul, but my six copies of 16 page, full colour, A5 zines cost £20.60 including postage.

order placed with Doxdirect, estimated delivery 1st April......is that an omen?

Took a bit of a chance as I haven't had a sample from them, but given the comments on here suggest they and Mixam are similar, and I'm not too concerned over colour accuracy......

Started on my next one, which may well end up too much for a zine as I'm combining words and pictures. It's quite addictive this :)

estimated delivery 1st April.....
They are having a laugh :D

It's quite addictive this
I've found that too. Hopefully they will have enough staff to stay open and back catalogues will provide us with a gold mine of photos which we had forgotten about

The only thing I noticed as a potential issue is that it's not overburdened with fonts

I've just bought it too. And it seems to get the fonts from your font library. I have a ton of custom fonts and they're all present in the software.

I've just bought it too. And it seems to get the fonts from your font library. I have a ton of custom fonts and they're all present in the software.
Interesting, it gave me different fonts than Scribus which has nowhere near as many fonts as Publisher and Word

Interesting, it gave me different fonts than Scribus which has nowhere near as many fonts as Publisher and Word

Maybe Word has its own font library that doesn't copy over? I only checked the ones I use regularly which I've downloaded from elsewhere.
:thinking:

Well I've spent my money and initial thoughts are that when I've got a handle on how to do the limited things I want to do with Affinity Publisher it'll be easier than the stuff I've used so far. (y)

As a complete noob with DTP, I'm finding Affinity Publisher pretty easy to find my way around, definitely worth the £24 if it's something you need to use, even occasionally
:agree:

The plan was to share postal addresses in a private message and then just get them in the post. Given that this Saturday was the original date for people to commit we might as well hold off until then and then if everyone is ready to go, just get on with it.

He's a roll-call of current participants, please let me know if I have missed anyone

@Allan.H
@Ed Sutton
@flook999
@Harlequin565
@Mr Perceptive
@sirch

And, since I am working from home, I just had a quick look in the stationary drawer to find I have only one suitable envelope. So that's the next challenge :)

I've got envelopes but no internet since Monday! Having to use my phone, which I hate...

Will check in from time to time.

Ian's - @Harlequin565 - zine just arrived and it is brilliant! I recall seeing a few of the images digitally on here in the past but it is so much better to see them collected together in a zine. Thanks Ian, the presentation is excellent IMHO

Too kind Chris. But thankyou!

Ian's - @Harlequin565 - zine just arrived and it is brilliant! I recall seeing a few of the images digitally on here in the past but it is so much better to see them collected together in a zine. Thanks Ian, the presentation is excellent IMHO
Got my copy too, but not looked at it yet as I have been cutting the grass...

And Allan's - @Allan.H - zine just landed and another really good looking zine with a great set of images, shot on film too.

I've now got some envelopes so once I have found a pen and re-learned how to write :) I'll get them addressed and in the post. Bank holiday weekend might hold things up a bit though

Just got back from walking the dogs and Ian’s @Harlequin565 was waiting for me, excellent it is too. :)

@sirch thanks for the nice words, first time I have done anything like this but I have a feeling it won’t be the last, have really enjoyed the whole process, now I have to get my head around Affinity publisher :wideyed:

Back