Professional Headphones

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I'm in need of some new headphones. After reading some reviews I'm seeing that Professional Headphones could be good for games on the xbox and listening to music (through this THIS)
I've never own a pair of these so what's you thoughts? Will they do for both? If I do get some I only want to dip my toe in the water to start with (£50-70),

What's I've read up on so far is Audio-Technica ATH-M30X and Shure SRH440.

Headphones are very personal and it would be best to try before you buy, but that isn't going to be possible anywhere for a good while yet.

Another make to have a look at are Grado. They have an unusual design and are open backed so if leaking sound into a room could be a problem then Grados are not for you, but the sound - that is a delight.

An example review - https://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr80e/review

Dave

Headphones are very personal and it would be best to try before you buy, but that isn't going to be possible anywhere for a good while yet.

Another make to have a look at are Grado. They have an unusual design and are open backed so if leaking sound into a room could be a problem then Grados are not for you, but the sound - that is a delight.

An example review - https://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr80e/review

Dave

Yeah, that's why I just want to dip my toe in first. If I try a cheaper pair first it's not all bad if they are not for me.
Leaking sound would be a problem.

I'm a firm Bose believer (and Sonos) and have the Bose 700 and Bose Frames; They're more expensive but I've found them second to none. Depending how you get on, may be worth considering..

I don't need a mic. I know headphone are a personal thing. I was just wondering if would be good at the £50-70 mark for listing to music (and for plugging into my xbox controller)

Have a look over on AVF, mate. Lot of peeps knowing a lot of stuff (and not all stupid expensive either). Also a lot will depend on weather or not, you`re a bass junkie ;)

Have a look over on AVF, mate. Lot of peeps knowing a lot of stuff (and not all stupid expensive either). Also a lot will depend on weather or not, you`re a bass junkie ;)

Really don't need the bass. Clear sound is what I would prefer

If you want clear sound, you want studio reference headphones. The ATH-M30X are one of the most commonly used headphones by amateur musicians, producers, and audio engineers. AKG are another good make and I like (and use) their K550s which have a good sound stage (good, clear sound throughout the width of the stereo field), but they're not within your stated price range and tend to be used more by professionals; however, if you can find good-condition second hand ones, I'd recommend them. KRK KNS 8400s are also good; I have the 6400 which aren't as clear in the top end. I can't say anything about the Shure ones you mention other than that Shure is a top brand for mics, so I'm betting that their headphones are good.

If you want clear sound, you want studio reference headphones. The ATH-M30X are one of the most commonly used headphones by amateur musicians, producers, and audio engineers. AKG are another good make and I like (and use) their K550s which have a good sound stage (good, clear sound throughout the width of the stereo field), but they're not within your stated price range and tend to be used more by professionals; however, if you can find good-condition second hand ones, I'd recommend them. KRK KNS 8400s are also good; I have the 6400 which aren't as clear in the top end. I can't say anything about the Shure ones you mention other than that Shure is a top brand for mics, so I'm betting that their headphones are good.

Thank you :)

Hmm, I wouldn't mind decent set of wireless HP - atm I'm using these cheap [but half decent] MPOW 'wireless' overheads - the bluetooth/wireless function just decided it didn't want to work anymore, but they do work fine wired. Sound is good, but I did buy them for the whole wireless thing!

at 50-70 quid you won't get anything truly PRO it might have it written on the box though.
if you were going to absolutely stick to that price then I would personally go with something like the below.
Sennheiser HD 559 Headphones

at 50-70 quid you won't get anything truly PRO it might have it written on the box though.
if you were going to absolutely stick to that price then I would personally go with something like the below.
Sennheiser HD 559 Headphones

Yeah, I know. Just want to dip my toe in the water to see if they are for me. If I like them then I will spend a lot more on a good pair.

Those Sennheiser's look nice, but they are open back and don't have a 3.5mm jack

Yeah, I know. Just want to dip my toe in the water to see if they are for me. If I like them then I will spend a lot more on a good pair.

Those Sennheiser's look nice, but they are open back and don't have a 3.5mm jack

all proper headphones are open back mate that's why they sound so good, I think also you do get a separate cable with them that is 3.5mm

all proper headphones are open back mate that's why they sound so good, I think also you do get a separate cable with them that is 3.5mm

How much sound leak is on those ones. Is it enough to annoy someone in the same room while they are watching tv and I'm listening to music?

I needed a pair of headphone with mic for some conferencing and for various reasons needed wired. In the end I bought this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SAYCXWG/

I'd by no means call them "professional" headphones but they work really well for conferencing, sound great playing music and make Doom *awesome*. Usefully you can remove the microphone if you don't need it.

With the leatherette ear cups they are great - very isolating. But a bit too isolating if you're talking as you can't hear yourself properly. I was amazed at the difference swapping to the velvet ear cups made - decent sound and you can talk.

I use Steelseries Arctis 5 which are only slightly over your budget but they are very good. Can be USB or 3.5mm jack.

They are virtual surround if the USB is used, but it's all software driven anyway and I can also use virtual surround with the 3.5mm jack through a Sound Blaster Z and its software. But I prefer good stereo anyway and find it better to be honest if done properly such as when binaural technology is used. Also, anyone remember Aureal A3D? Anyway, I digress seeing as you mention the Xbox and not PC.

I've also got a set of Sennheiser HD206 from a while ago and the clarity is excellent, not as much bass as the Arctis 5. You can pick them up very cheap now and the biggest difference between regular stereo headphones and the virtual ones is the weight. The Sennheiser are very light.

For the Xbox I got the Turtle Beach ones. I've never tried them for music, but for gaming they are actually very good and clear. They take a fair amount of abuse from my son and never failed.

I bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X2hr recently for £80 odd on an Amazon deal and whilst open-backed, sound leakage is not too intrusive, for example to those sitting next to me on sofa. You do need a quiet listening environment to get the best out of them though as they let in sound. Bit above your budget but I can recommend if you can find them for that sort of price. For wireless noise cancelling, my Sony WH-1000xm3 are the bees knees but I would hope so, as top dollar.
The Fidelios sound fantastic with hi-res music and my son was impressed when he plugged them in to his xbox.

My wife's got a nice pair of closed AKG's that were around the £100 mark and a HI Fi mags best buy a few years ago but if I'm by myself my similar priced Grado's are the job for music and a perennial magazine award winner.

After damaging my old Sennheiser headphones, I picked up a set of OneOdio Professional Closed Back Headphones for ~£20 from that popular e-retail website. At that price, I was not expecting such good sound quality. I was really very surprised and impressed with them. I asked a colleague with much better hearing and musical ability to try them and he immediately bought a pair. They are very neutral, but they do make anything good to listen to. Comfortable too, which is a nice bonus.

For that price level? Perhaps a classic pair of used Beyerdynamic DT150s in full working order, and replace the ear pads and inner foam if it's not already been done? Might be worth a punt if you are handy at DIY/repair shop stuff and willing to take a risk on Corona virus precautions? Or around £110 new from Amazon. Definitely professional kit, with spare parts apparently currently available if anything does break.

Last edited:
Samson SR850s are a great budget choice. Not fully open backed so noise leakage is minimal. Have a sound quality that far exceeds their price.
Replaced mine now with Fidelio X2RS but wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

I went for a pair of Shure SRH440, I bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X at the same time. For me personally the Shure are better. So, the M40X have gone back.

My next question. I would like to sit in my chair and listen to the hifi from there. The curly lead will reach but its pulling on the headphones. Obviously I can't listen in comfort so...... what is a good 3.5mm extension cable and good stereo adapter plug to go with it? I'm not looking for a 99p lead nor a £100 lead. Just something that will do the job well without (hopefully) sound loss.

(y)

How much sound leak is on those ones. Is it enough to annoy someone in the same room while they are watching tv and I'm listening to music?

They will hear it, but vice versa you can hear them as well, which is useful if you have kids.

I have the Philips Fidelio X2 and it's absolutely amazing. Best open back headphones under £100 in my opinion.

They will hear it, but vice versa you can hear them as well, which is useful if you have kids.

I have the Philips Fidelio X2 and it's absolutely amazing. Best open back headphones under £100 in my opinion.

Going to bookmark this for when I have to replace my Steelseries Arctis 5. I'm more interested in good quality stereo headphones now rather than the USB virtual type now that I use a dedicated sound card.

Back