Professional Landscape Photography vs Lockdown

So how do you PROVE that you are a professional landscape photographer and NOT just a day tripper?
I doubt you’d be tested to the ‘nth degree but have your website handy on your phone. Yes that could mean a non pro like me could easily get away with it (if I was that way inclined - I’m not) but the guidance is solely designed to prevent the spread and one man in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere is unlikely to be an issue assuming his car doesn’t breakdown;)

I am a professional photographer with limited options, and see an opportunity to expand my business into landscape.

I'm not one for business plans, I just go with the flow - can't sell landscape images if I haven't got a worthwhile portfolio, I need to build that portfolio.

Thats where @Mr Badger post from the other day comes into play.

I doubt you’d be tested to the ‘nth degree but have your website handy on your phone. Yes that could mean a non pro like me could easily get away with it (if I was that way inclined - I’m not) but the guidance is solely designed to prevent the spread and one man in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere is unlikely to be an issue assuming his car doesn’t breakdown;)

If everyone had that attitude though, we'd all be out with our cameras. Then it becomes a problem.

People could just tell the truth, is it related to your business or is it just a hobby? If it's just a hobby then it does not count as work.

For you, landscape photography would surely just be a hobby until you started selling your work?

Being a professional landscape photographer is not the same as being a professional portrait photgrapher etc.

For you, landscape photography would surely just be a hobby until you started selling your work?

Being a professional landscape photographer is not the same as being a professional portrait photgrapher etc.

I don't see it as a hobby, I see it as akin to learning a new programming language as a developer - not as a hobby, but as a skill to improve my worth.

Last edited:
I am a professional photographer with limited options, and see an opportunity to expand my business into landscape.

I'm not one for business plans, I just go with the flow - can't sell landscape images if I haven't got a worthwhile portfolio, I need to build that portfolio.

Then my opinion is that you should not be out photographing under the current rules and moral obligations of this lockdown. End of.
Also the reality is that very few people make any kind of real living out of landscape photography, most are just dreamers.

p.s. 'going with the flow' is not a business plan.

p.s. 'going with the flow' is not a business plan.

That's what I said, I just do good work and clients find me.

I don't want to spend half my time or money marketing myself, that's not the life I want. (which incidentally is probably why my Etsy shop will never take off, but at least it exists if anyone asks)

Last edited:
I don't see it as a hobby, I see it as akin to learning a new programming language as a developer - not as a hobby, but as a skill to improve my worth.

Yes and now would be a perfect time to do that. As I originally said days ago, it just appears like the rules are being bent in all sorts or directions to make going out to shoot landscapes acceptable. Great thing to learn and try to become professional at, at an appropriate time.

Thats where @Mr Badger post from the other day comes into play.

If everyone had that attitude though, we'd all be out with our cameras. Then it becomes a problem.
You’d be surprised at the number of people who take a tripod on their ‘daily walk’. I often have a ‘nose’ at shutter speeds of the landscapes that people manage on their daily walks and let’s just say some have very steady hands;)

I forgot - I took this photo whilst walking the dogs, hand held, posted to Facebook friends and someone asked if they could buy a print...

They have yet to follow through, so I'm not a 'pro' just yet :D

93881717_10163710159595227_6254437646811004928_o.jpg

They've probably realised the foreground isn't in focus! ;) Sorry, landscape photography stereotype joke to cheer people up a bit! :giggle: :exit:

Back