Project 52 - Week 34 Geometric

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
My name is Laura, I took up photography two weeks ago when I found the confidence to get behind a camera. My ambition is to become a good photographer that may potentially be able to amazing photos of my family and perhaps others. My journey is long and I'm prepared to work hard and listen to the advice of others.

Week 26 animal, this week was very easy for me. One of our family pets is a patterdale terrier, he is beautiful both inside and out. There is no greater opportunity I relish than to take a photo of my family :)

Patterdale Terrier by laura coxon, on Flickr

Hi Laura. Brilliant first post for the TP Challenge. Great subject for the theme, nice colour, depth of field and composition. Bit too dark on the right side side though so needs some lighting adjustment to offset. :clap:

Yeah I thought that about his right side, I'm not sure how I would go about offsetting it, the ISO was 3200 and arpeture was as low as my lens would go. Should I have got for a higher ISO possibly? Thank you for the compliment that gave me a boost. I keep thinking my pictures are rubbish x

Not rubbish at all. Things can get kinda complicated because of the mass of variables involved like raising the ISO, introducing another lighting source, adjusting shutter speed, aperture or a combination of some or all of those. I've found it good practice to check the in-camera histogram as that will show whether the extremes of lighting have been clipped and give indication whether detail will be lost as a result of being too light/too dark. Worth taking a look at that as a starting point.

I've just read about those today!! I will take a look. Thanks again, im going to find you thread now :)

Now that is one cute Patterdale :) Great interaction and eye contact with the camera. At that ISO, f stop and shutter speed combination it must has been relatively low light but I am impressed how the 3300 has dealt with it though - not much noise/grain at all. I look forward to more (y)

Thanks :) x it was dark it was dark clouds and rain outside so little light was in the room. However he is blooming cute isn't he

Week 27 - Medical
Ok so I had it in my head that I really wanted a black and white photo of a doctors surgery or pharmacy. I passed a couple and changed my mind, then on the way to work following a diversion I saw all this colourful bunting. I really wanted to get it In the picture and bring a lighter side to medical. Perhaps it is rubbish so any feedback is welcomed :)

Project 52 by laura coxon, on Flickr

Looking at this I wish the Pharmacy sign had been more focused, the bunting was more out of focus and that there was a blue or more interesting sky......

Week 8 - Proverb

Based on famous English proverb "The pen is mightier with the sword" combined with an outdoor shot as I love the outdoors and natural light. It is very simplistic, sorry if its too simple.

Project 52 by laura coxon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Laura. Think maybe you were caught between two points of interest - the sign and the bunting and as a result neither is achieving star status. If you look at the histogram, you will I'm sure see not only a predominance of white (duh) but that it is "clipped" meaning lost detail (in the sky). Solutions to reduce the amount of light will involve experimenting with the aperture or shutter speed to achieve a more balanced exposure. Good subject for the Medical theme.

PS: The Linky works a treat !!!!!!

Thanks Carl, i'll get there i'm sure. I felt the sign alone maybe a bit dull but you are probably right. I do think had it been a more beautiful sky, this picture would've been transformed...

Good start to your 52(26) Laura :)
All points have been covered about your submissions so no need for me to repeat but could I make one observation?

We can all be self critical in our photography but please don't apologise for your view or take on the weekly themes. It's been said many times before but it's your 52, your interpretation of the themes. If it is a simplistic take, then hey that's fine, same as if it needs a little explanation (called crowbar around these parts :D) then that's also fine. There is no one definitive way to shoot for a 52, good luck with yours (y)

Iain

Ooops, just as I replied to Medical, so up popped Proverb. Now that is good. Well themed, nice detail, colour and composition. (Like that you created added interest by shaving off part of the book). :clap:

Absolutely right what Iain says - it's your journey, your interpretation, your artistic influence

Last edited:
Good start to your 52(26) Laura :)
All points have been covered about your submissions so no need for me to repeat but could I make one observation?

We can all be self critical in our photography but please don't apologise for your view or take on the weekly themes. It's been said many times before but it's your 52, your interpretation of the themes. If it is a simplistic take, then hey that's fine, same as if it needs a little explanation (called crowbar around these parts :D) then that's also fine. There is no one definitive way to shoot for a 52, good luck with yours (y)

Iain
You're right I think my problem is I feel like the potwasher amongst head chefs and sous chefs, probably feeling a little out of place. I need more confidence in it I think.

Ooops, just as I replied to Medical, so up popped Proverb. Now that is good. Well themed, nice detail, colour and composition. (Like that you created added interest by shaving off part of the book). :clap:

Carl as always another lovely pick me up, thank you :)

Hey! Don't put us potwashers down - without you and I the head chefs and sous chefs wouldn't be able to operate - now let's get cracking with that stack while I scrape off these burnt offerings.

You're right I think my problem is I feel like the potwasher amongst head chefs and sous chefs, probably feeling a little out of place. I need more confidence in it I think.

Carl as always another lovely pick me up, thank you :)

We all have to start somewhere Laura, don't feel you have any less a part to play in the 52 community and the wider forum as a whole.
For what it's worth, I think you are off to a cracking start on the forum. You have got involved, offered opinion and experience (talking about the wedding thread here).
The 52 threads are like a little community within the forum community in itself.
Dropping into others threads and commenting all fosters that sense of community. I appreciate you are new to photography but your thoughts/opinions are just as relevant and valued as anyone else. Even if you don't feel confident enough to say what you perhaps would have done differently on someone else's image, tell them what you like about it, or don't as the case maybe, but just say why something works or not for you.
This will be reciprocated I'm sure. Iain

genuinely I hope I have enough about me to be great, the thought of creating artwork from those gorgeous boys of mine makes me feel all....:banana::)

We all have to start somewhere Laura, don't feel you have any less a part to play in the 52 community and the wider forum as a whole.
For what it's worth, I think you are off to a cracking start on the forum. You have got involved, offered opinion and experience (talking about the wedding thread here).
The 52 threads are like a little community within the forum community in itself.
Dropping into others threads and commenting all fosters that sense of community. I appreciate you are new to photography but your thoughts/opinions are just as relevant and valued as anyone else. Even if you don't feel confident enough to say what you perhaps would have done differently on someone else's image, tell them what you like about it, or don't as the case maybe, but just say why something works or not for you.
This will be reciprocated I'm sure. Iain
And thank you :)

My name is Laura, I took up photography two weeks ago when I found the confidence to get behind a camera. My ambition is to become a good photographer that may potentially be able to amazing photos of my family and perhaps others. My journey is long and I'm prepared to work hard and listen to the advice of others.

Week 26 animal, this week was very easy for me. One of our family pets is a patterdale terrier, he is beautiful both inside and out. There is no greater opportunity I relish than to take a photo of my family :)

Patterdale Terrier by laura coxon, on Flickr

Hi Laura. Brilliant first post for the TP Challenge. Great subject for the theme, nice colour, depth of field and composition. Bit too dark on the right side side though so needs some lighting adjustment to offset. :clap:

I'll echo what Carl said, its a great shot with the eye contact and the background/dof being spot on.the right side could be pulled a little in post but depending on your histogram data it may bring in some awful colour noise in an otherwise very nice 'un-noisy' image.

Looking at this I wish the Pharmacy sign had been more focused, the bunting was more out of focus and that there was a blue or more interesting sky......

Not to sound too harsh, I agree its a 'touch' out of focus, there's a little bit too much 'empty' space on the left, but I do like how the bunting draws you from left to right to the point of interest.

The proverb image, is a beaut. simple and very effective.

Liking your 52 already, keep at it. and as already said its a personal project so your take on a theme is exactly that, your take. Don't worry about any nay-sayers or people winging about themes. I certainly don't, you will notice in mine there are multiple 'shoe horned' themes. It's just the way it goes!

I'll echo what Carl said, its a great shot with the eye contact and the background/dof being spot on.the right side could be pulled a little in post but depending on your histogram data it may bring in some awful colour noise in an otherwise very nice 'un-noisy' image.

Not to sound too harsh, I agree its a 'touch' out of focus, there's a little bit too much 'empty' space on the left, but I do like how the bunting draws you from left to right to the point of interest.

The proverb image, is a beaut. simple and very effective.

Liking your 52 already, keep at it. and as already said its a personal project so your take on a theme is exactly that, your take. Don't worry about any nay-sayers or people winging about themes. I certainly don't, you will notice in mine there are multiple 'shoe horned' themes. It's just the way it goes!

Thank you for your feedback, you haven't sounded harsh at all. You've all given me a boost and within literally a day? I'm already focusing my mind on how to capture the image. I was literally using my camera as some form of crazed machine gun to capture the image, I had no real agenda other than to create nice images. So I have learnt to have an agenda and any feedback is going to help me learn.

Its nice to get positive feedback so again thank you :)

Week 27 - Pale

Ive done two for this one, immediately when I thought of pale I thought of pale skin which then made me think of illness and thought it was so negative I wanted to go to another more sunnier route....

P52 - Pale by laura coxon, on Flickr

Version 2

P52 - Pale 2 by laura coxon, on Flickr

The reason I choose these is because it makes me smile, I got to eat ice cream and I love the contrast in colours which to me highlights pale even more so..

Week 28 - Tear

When I read the word tear I immediately thought of a tear in a dress or a piece of paper, for some reason I never considered the word as a crying tear until I saw some entries. I felt I should go with my instinct...

This picture has a double meaning, the gorgeous boy is a tare-away and he is tearing away :)

P52 - Tear by laura coxon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey Laura. Knocking these themes out at a cracking pace eh ... and with growing success if I may say.

Pale: Both versions are good for composition and DoF and colour as well of course as meeting the theme. My favourite has to be V2 - the lollies - a novel concept and the angle creates a lovely abstract. Excellent.
Tear: Nice and even lighting (no clipping ha ha), brilliant model - what more can I say .... ah Yes, the look of concentration is priceless.

Hey Laura. Knocking these themes out at a cracking pace eh ... and with growing success if I may say.

Pale: Both versions are good for composition and DoF and colour as well of course as meeting the theme. My favourite has to be V2 - the lollies - a novel concept and the angle creates a lovely abstract. Excellent.
Tear: Nice and even lighting (no clipping ha ha), brilliant model - what more can I say .... ah Yes, the look of concentration is priceless.
Kind as always Mr Carl! But I need to confess something, until I read further on histograms, I don't know what clipping means....

My subject is just gorgeous, what a lucky mummy I am and to have two matching well even better...excuse the odd socks and casual clothes. I believe they went to a donkey sanctuary today :)

Ok I read up more on histograms, it's about the 3rd thing I read. It really didn't make sense to me at first, I couldn't get it but now I think I do. Thank you [emoji8]

Ok medical was really annoying me as I hadn't quite got it right, I was determined to make the image work and although I don't think it is spectacular it is better than it was yesterday....

Medical - V2 by laura coxon, on Flickr

Damn it!! So ok the quality of version 2 is better but I think the composition of v1 is better..........

Hi Laura

Animal ... cute .... in focus where it matters just needs more light of course.

Medical .... think I prefer #1 .... abstract feel.

Proverb ... simplistic, as you say ... but I like it. [complete with cow-pat].

Tear ... original, brilliant idea .... hmmm I don't know if a crop-to-zoom might work!

Lol I wondered what you meant by cow pat, it's a tree. Whoops maybe I shouldn't have cropped it out.

Hi, quick catchp

Animal, great perspective and lovely expression. I'd like a little more light in the shadows.

Medical, on theme but I'd crop a large chunk of the LHS.

Proverb, nice natural lighting and I don't mid it being on the grass; just the few leaves on the RHS a little distracting.

Pale, I see where you were going but the white balance is a little off.

Tear is a nice one. A different crop would have worked better, IMO, maybe a square crop; just clipped his foot at the bottom.

Words, quick off the mark. A little more light for me and I'd like a little more punch to the colours.

Cheers.

Thank you, I tried to make the colours stand out more on words but then ended up falling out with my camera because I just couldn't quite work it out. Thanks for the comments on the others :)

Hi Laura. Cor another one with a quick response to Words - I haven't yet put my thinking cap on. Nice composition and DoF. If anything, the gold grid tends to distract the eye and I wonder whether because of that whether a b&w conversion might sit better !?!? (See how contrary people's views are - here's me implying b&w and Andy talking about greater colour vibrancy Ha ha).

Do you know I didn't even notice the gold grid. I've just tried it in black and white and that one doesn't look great but another one I took did. I'm feeling a bit frustrated that I can't see the things you guys are....I really appreciate the feedback so I can see it though x

Don't feel frustrated Laura. People see things differently and you can consider their thoughts for validity but it is how you see things that decides - your vision, your art. So if you are pleased with it then that's how it should remain. I'm blind to my own efforts and it takes someone to point things out. Frustration only comes in when there is nothing to see or learn I suppose ... but does anyone ever get to that stage ... doubtful eh! x

Words: great take on the theme Laura! Good DOF and composition for me. I'd be tempted to play with the exposure , shadows etc just to brighten a little. (easily done if you have Lightroom or the like?)

Pale: V2, again a little brightening needed for me, but otherwise great :clap:

Tears: lol good idea, for a second I thought he'd gotten into your purse and was ripping money!

Tears- lol if that had happened I'd have taken a selfie of my tears! Thank you and I think I will play later not tried properly with Lightroom yet. X

Back