Project 52 - Week 34 Geometric

Hi Laura, nice to see some new faces in here
"Animal" lovely dog a bit dark though, a lift of the shadows in lightroom or something similar would maybe work
"Pale" again needs a little more light
"Tear" nice picture of your little boy
"medical' I see what you are aiming for just needs a better composition
"words" I wondered who would be first with the scrabble board again a little more light

Overall a good start to your 52, you just need to be a little less critical of your own work as you say you have only been at it for 2 weeks it will all fall into place (y)

Hi Laura .. and welcome to the 52's I'm sure you will really enjoy it and will learn loads, I know I have just by looking at everyone's entries and picking up ideas along the way.

Stand out shot for me so far is Proverb, really good natural light makes it very eye catching.
Tear too is an excellent choice for the theme, maybe a little too tightly cropped but a lovely natural image.
Words is very much on theme too, Scrabble is one of my favourite online games. I agree with Allan a little more light would lift it a little, but you're doing a great job ...keep going :)

Thank you :) you're all such a lovely bunch I'm really enjoying this group and having kind support, direction and common interests. It's also so fascinating how different peoples takes on words are. I'm not sure I have looked at everyone's pictures I keep thinking I have then there are more people appearing. Roughly how many of us are there? X

Thank you :) you're all such a lovely bunch I'm really enjoying this group and having kind support, direction and common interests. It's also so fascinating how different peoples takes on words are. I'm not sure I have looked at everyone's pictures I keep thinking I have then there are more people appearing. Roughly how many of us are there? X

There are lots Laura :) don't worry if you cant keep up with everyone.

Hi Laura, welcome along to the 52 Project and nice to see new one joining in.

Animal; others already mentioned the lack of details in the shadows half.

Medical; I feel the sign is being treated as secondary subject rather than the main theme.

Proverb; could do with a sword in the shot.

Pale; cleave idea

Tear; a tighter crop would work better I feel.

Words; quick off the mark, shame you cut off a bit on the right and the bottom parts

....... what do you think to pale x

sometimes I just don't know what to say so don't say anything :eek:

Pale #2 is much more exciting than #1 ... nice subject and perspective ... but needs more light, a boost of some sort. I know you're doing Pale but ...

Last edited:
Words:

I really like the composition and the set up is perfectly un perfect IYSWIM. Super flat lighting and spot on processing too.:clap:

B. :cow:

Nice start Laura.

Words is certainly spot on for the theme but the wonky C on the lhs is triggering my photographic OCD :cautious:

The best feedback I can give is to take time setting up your shots as once you've taken it you can't change the composition. Also Using Lightroom will make a big difference in the 'punchiness' of your images as some of them are a little flat and could benefit from a bit more contrast. But don't worry about it, poco a poco they say here in Spain. Little by little. Composition followed by processing are the keys for me.

Hi Laura, welcome to the asylum!
I must say considering you have only just started you have done a good job. As you have correctly said its a big learning curve an TBH we are all still learning and always will be:eek:. There's loads to learn but this is a great place to learn and you will get great advice here (mostly :)).

Here's a bit of feedback, constructive of course!
Animal... Love dogs! You have great eye contact here just what you need and you have nice sharp focus on the leading eye. The only issue is the darken side of his (her) face. Which is a pity. So how can you sort that? Well one way is to use a reflector. That's a posh word for a sheet of A4 white card, a white chopping board anything reflective:). Now as you can clearly see the lights coming in from the left, so hold or get someone to hold the reflector on the RH side as you tilt it around you'll see the light come up on shaded side of his face and off you go! Using the available natural light will help too, rather than a flash which might overwhelm the image. You can of course use a flash or other light but diffusing the light will help. You can of course lighten up one side of the image in post production (Photoshop or whatever). Nice shot though.
High ISO's can often introduce noise (really grainy look especially when you try and enlarge pictures or crop them especially in dark areas of the shot) which can be annoying but cameras are getting much better at handling low light situations. So lower the ISO better the quality as a rule of thumb.

Medical..... Think I like the first shot here best. Second shot the buntings a bit lost in the patten of the roof tiles on the right. Ok the sign is sharper but hey ho!
The buntings in the first shot is nice and colourful and a bit of fun. Like the composition here seems well balanced. Pity about the sky but at the end of the day were all chasing the great light ( well I do ). Don't get frustrated though sometimes it takes lots of shots to get everything just right and I have visited locations lots of times until I've got every thing just right, light, cloud, etc etc. What I say is every photograph you take you learn something, either about the location or about photography, and the next time you go back you'll have that knowledge and in your minds eye you'll know just how you want to shoot it and when the conditions are right. It's all a balancing act:rolleyes:.

Proverb.... I really like this! Very simple very effective. Diagonals always work well especially from top right to bottom left (works in landscapes too) something to do with how the eye scans the image I'm told. I really like the rock and the clover, gives me the feeling you have really thought about this and gives me the sort of Celtic freely, 'pen is mightier than the sword' .... Sword in the stone... Shamrock aka clover ( flipping heck that's a bit deep:eek:). It really works for me love it! No such thing as too simple, generally it's the simple shots that really work. Well Done! ( just read other posts so now we've had cow-pat, rock and tree:D).

Pale ... Like the concept, think I'd eat it.... Oops no what I meant was, think I'd just pull the dish round a tad pick up the circular rim and think I'd also get some of those flutes down the side of the dish in to give additional interest. Nicely focused looking at the spoon there's an opportunity for a bit of fun there too by having a play with the reflections in the spoon:). Nice colour too but keep an eye on the white balance indoors it can be upset by your room lighting, and things that should be white look grey or off white. I guess you are shooting in JPG format. When you start shooting in RAW your white balance can be changed very simply in post production.
Pale 2, lollies! Very abstract, nice idea, very good use of DOF. I think I would have lightened the image a tad, but on the other hand the muted lighting does add to the pale theme.
I think on balance I like No1 best

Tear.... Nice shot, he's having fun! I think interpreting the theme is part of the fun:). Works for me. I'd just pull out a touch to pick up the tip of his head and tip of his toes. Nicky balanced exposure and evenly lit(y).

Words..... Nice clear shot, with nice DOF. Your light is fairly even but a little muted. I like the way the grid to the right turns that golden bronze colour! With regard to giving the shot more punch, I guess it depends what processing software your using ( many people assume people might be using program's such as Photoshop or Lightroom but obviously it's not always the case! ) the shot could easily be pumped up in post production. So I am assuming this is a straight out of the camera (SOOC) JPEG so you might struggle giving it that extra zing;). You might be able to try changing the picture control to perhaps 'Vivid' setting, it might pump it up a bit? I quite like this as it is ok a little more zing might take it up a level, but none the less I good shot.

Just my rambling thoughts hope some of them help a little:)
Keep up the good work!

Hi Laura, welcome to the asylum!
I must say considering you have only just started you have done a good job. As you have correctly said its a big learning curve an TBH we are all still learning and always will be:eek:. There's loads to learn but this is a great place to learn and you will get great advice here (mostly :)).

Here's a bit of feedback, constructive of course!
Animal... Love dogs! You have great eye contact here just what you need and you have nice sharp focus on the leading eye. The only issue is the darken side of his (her) face. Which is a pity. So how can you sort that? Well one way is to use a reflector. That's a posh word for a sheet of A4 white card, a white chopping board anything reflective:). Now as you can clearly see the lights coming in from the left, so hold or get someone to hold the reflector on the RH side as you tilt it around you'll see the light come up on shaded side of his face and off you go! Using the available natural light will help too, rather than a flash which might overwhelm the image. You can of course use a flash or other light but diffusing the light will help. You can of course lighten up one side of the image in post production (Photoshop or whatever). Nice shot though.
High ISO's can often introduce noise (really grainy look especially when you try and enlarge pictures or crop them especially in dark areas of the shot) which can be annoying but cameras are getting much better at handling low light situations. So lower the ISO better the quality as a rule of thumb.

Medical..... Think I like the first shot here best. Second shot the buntings a bit lost in the patten of the roof tiles on the right. Ok the sign is sharper but hey ho!
The buntings in the first shot is nice and colourful and a bit of fun. Like the composition here seems well balanced. Pity about the sky but at the end of the day were all chasing the great light ( well I do ). Don't get frustrated though sometimes it takes lots of shots to get everything just right and I have visited locations lots of times until I've got every thing just right, light, cloud, etc etc. What I say is every photograph you take you learn something, either about the location or about photography, and the next time you go back you'll have that knowledge and in your minds eye you'll know just how you want to shoot it and when the conditions are right. It's all a balancing act:rolleyes:.

Proverb.... I really like this! Very simple very effective. Diagonals always work well especially from top right to bottom left (works in landscapes too) something to do with how the eye scans the image I'm told. I really like the rock and the clover, gives me the feeling you have really thought about this and gives me the sort of Celtic freely, 'pen is mightier than the sword' .... Sword in the stone... Shamrock aka clover ( flipping heck that's a bit deep:eek:). It really works for me love it! No such thing as too simple, generally it's the simple shots that really work. Well Done! ( just read other posts so now we've had cow-pat, rock and tree:D).

Pale ... Like the concept, think I'd eat it.... Oops no what I meant was, think I'd just pull the dish round a tad pick up the circular rim and think I'd also get some of those flutes down the side of the dish in to give additional interest. Nicely focused looking at the spoon there's an opportunity for a bit of fun there too by having a play with the reflections in the spoon:). Nice colour too but keep an eye on the white balance indoors it can be upset by your room lighting, and things that should be white look grey or off white. I guess you are shooting in JPG format. When you start shooting in RAW your white balance can be changed very simply in post production.
Pale 2, lollies! Very abstract, nice idea, very good use of DOF. I think I would have lightened the image a tad, but on the other hand the muted lighting does add to the pale theme.
I think on balance I like No1 best

Tear.... Nice shot, he's having fun! I think interpreting the theme is part of the fun:). Works for me. I'd just pull out a touch to pick up the tip of his head and tip of his toes. Nicky balanced exposure and evenly lit(y).

Words..... Nice clear shot, with nice DOF. Your light is fairly even but a little muted. I like the way the grid to the right turns that golden bronze colour! With regard to giving the shot more punch, I guess it depends what processing software your using ( many people assume people might be using program's such as Photoshop or Lightroom but obviously it's not always the case! ) the shot could easily be pumped up in post production. So I am assuming this is a straight out of the camera (SOOC) JPEG so you might struggle giving it that extra zing;). You might be able to try changing the picture control to perhaps 'Vivid' setting, it might pump it up a bit? I quite like this as it is ok a little more zing might take it up a level, but none the less I good shot.

Just my rambling thoughts hope some of them help a little:)
Keep up the good work!

Oh wow I have just come to post my next picture and realised you have posted this, thank you so much. Ive actually been sulking this morning with a "i'm no good at this photo malarkey and I never will be" style attitude so you've picked me up a bit. I guess I have to remember I have only been doing it one month and I haven't even ventured into the realms of photoshop properly. Its because I went to a family party yesterday and I was getting looks of being a weirdo with a camera, and its shot I took that I loved was greeted with a "is that it look"....

Anyway, following on from this, how apt is this weeks word "support" and supportive is exactly what everyone has been on this fun journey.... :) xx

Week 32 - Support

For those of you unaware I am a mother to two year old gorgeous twin boys whom I probably have a slightly unhealthy obsession over....for me this week I mulled over support and felt that there was no more important job than the support I give to my children...

P52 - Week 32 - Suuport by laura coxon, on Flickr[/IMG] P52 - Week 32 - Suuport[/URL] by laura coxon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Laura ...I just read your comment to Steve above, you are doing great :) Even if you don't know so much technical stuff what I think you do have is an 'eye' for creating an image that's interesting. The best 'technical' photo in the world can be totally boring if it doesn't have that edge that says 'look at me'. I really identified with your family comment, my family refuse to come out walking with and my camera as I'm usually a mile behind shouting 'wait for me' ...there are so many interesting photo's to take !

Your shot for Support does look a bit bright, but it's a great sentiment, and a lovely firm reassuring hand clasp there.

Thanks Susie. So pleased I'm not on my own here with the family thing. I knew as soon as I uploaded this it was bright, I tried to take this shot over and over and this was the best of a bad bunch. I'm hoping once I've learnt photoshop pictures like this I can adjust to look darker. Thanks so much for the positive comments it honestly means a lot to me :) c

Hi Laura. My camera comes in handy at social gatherings both as a useful means of intro as well conversely as a means to make a quick exit from overbearing or boring company. Try not to be put off - keep practicing and you'll be there before you know it. You can learn camera craft but as Susie says, having an "eye" for a good image is a natural talent. Your interpretation of support is good, the composition is excellent but the image itself is just that bit too bright so that some of the colour and detail of the skin is lost. Easy enough to adjust. Keep the faith.

Thanks so much Carl, I guess I just need to grow my confidence. I'm pleased I posted this picture because it's made me not want to make the same mistake again with the brightness and try to correct if I do take a slightly over exposed shot. Again thanks for picking me up :)

Hi Laura, a nice idea just a little too much light maybe, we are an awkward bunch aren't we :)

keep up the good work (y)

Hi Laura, a nice idea just a little too much light maybe, we are an awkward bunch aren't we :)

keep up the good work (y)
Haha but is that not how people improve, if you all told me it was an amazing picture when in fact it wasn't I would never get any better...so in summary I appreciate you all bullying me :p

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the 52. You've hit the ground running with your photos. There are some crackers on here and Flickr (I hope you don't mind - I had a sneaky peek).

Animal: A lovely first photo. I like the composition and the dog's expression. Nice that the floorboard lines are on a slight diagonal too.I echo others words about the slightly dark side of the photo but in some ways it works as it draws my focus to the wonderful eye and expression. Great start (y)
Medical: I like your interpretation of the lighter side of Medical. The bunting leads my eye to the sign so the composition works. I agree with you regarding the sky - it's a bit too white and too much.
Proverb: Cracking shot and bang on theme. The diagonal lines really work for me as does the setting.
Pale: Your photos are making me hungry :) Both versions are good for different reasons for me. 1. I like the close crop with it off to one side. Nicely sharp with good detail in the strawberries and ice cream. 2. I like the abstract nature of this. Pale area on top and dark underneath with a single pale lolly in the middle.
Tear: Lovely natural shot. He is definitely focused on tearing away! My only comment is the shot is a bit tight as he is cropped slightly top and bottom but I am nit-picking.
Words: Great photo for the theme. The shallow DoF works well with the field of view and not having the other two words fully in the frame if that makes sense.
Support: A wonderful photo. Perfect composition and angle really portrays support. The top of the hand is a touch bright as has been said but that definitely doesn't take anything away from the shot. Well done (y)

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the 52. You've hit the ground running with your photos. There are some crackers on here and Flickr (I hope you don't mind - I had a sneaky peek).

Animal: A lovely first photo. I like the composition and the dog's expression. Nice that the floorboard lines are on a slight diagonal too.I echo others words about the slightly dark side of the photo but in some ways it works as it draws my focus to the wonderful eye and expression. Great start (y)
Medical: I like your interpretation of the lighter side of Medical. The bunting leads my eye to the sign so the composition works. I agree with you regarding the sky - it's a bit too white and too much.
Proverb: Cracking shot and bang on theme. The diagonal lines really work for me as does the setting.
Pale: Your photos are making me hungry :) Both versions are good for different reasons for me. 1. I like the close crop with it off to one side. Nicely sharp with good detail in the strawberries and ice cream. 2. I like the abstract nature of this. Pale area on top and dark underneath with a single pale lolly in the middle.
Tear: Lovely natural shot. He is definitely focused on tearing away! My only comment is the shot is a bit tight as he is cropped slightly top and bottom but I am nit-picking.
Words: Great photo for the theme. The shallow DoF works well with the field of view and not having the other two words fully in the frame if that makes sense.
Support: A wonderful photo. Perfect composition and angle really portrays support. The top of the hand is a touch bright as has been said but that definitely doesn't take anything away from the shot. Well done (y)

Oh wow thank you that is so kind of you to say, that has genuinely really made my day! All the comments people have left have been absorbed by me its definitely helping me so thank you. I really want to do feedback in the same sort of style to people but I feel a bit of a fraud.

Hi Laura

I've seen your Support image a couple of times and now I come to comment and it's gone! No longer available. Anyway, a great shot, really fitting the theme, but I have to agree with earlier comments: a little too much light on top of the hands ... a thing I find difficult to fix in PP.

Hi Laura, like dood I can't see your picture, but hello and good luck anyway, see you next week. [emoji4]

Week 33, Religion.

This one I found quite hard as I have been limited to time, ive had a twin pretty much hanging off each leg since Friday. As I love simplicity I wanted to take a picture of the church my boys got christened in, I'm not massively happy with it, I cant put my finger on why...

DSC_0803 - Copy by laura coxon, on Flickr

So I took another when we went camping and I found a very sweet church where someone had just been married, but there was grass in the way. (Not my best week I don't think)

DSC_0838 by laura coxon, on Flickr

DSC_0834 by laura coxon, on Flickr

Hi Laura, first pic needs a little clockwise rotation and you have chopped off the top of the church
the third one I like the idea shooting through the gate but that tree spoils it for me
the second one I do like, if you cropped the sides down to just include the porch I like the OOF grass

Thank you for your feedback, I've got to say of the 3 number 2 is my favourite. I can't believe I missed the top of the church, what a fool!

Hi Laura. Apart from the cut-off, #1 has a clarity of detail even in the darkest areas so a really good image from that perspective. As for #3, I too like the idea of framing the subject by using the gateway but agree about the tree spoiling. That leaves #2 which is my fave of the set too - would just crop out the tower completely as it just serves to distract, the reverse of the OOF grass in the foreground. :clap:

Hi Laura. Apart from the cut-off, #1 has a clarity of detail even in the darkest areas so a really good image from that perspective. As for #3, I too like the idea of framing the subject by using the gateway but agree about the tree spoiling. That leaves #2 which is my fave of the set too - would just crop out the tower completely as it just serves to distract, the reverse of the OOF grass in the foreground. :clap:

Thank you Carl, I feel a bit frustrated that I missed these details! I do keep looking at number 2 and actually I think it is far better than I have given myself credit for. Its the style I like and its pretty. But again thank you for always encouraging me :)

Hi Laura ...that's a good clear shot for number one,shame you missed the top off, I like that it has a personal story behind it.
I agree with Allan about two it has a nice simple rustic appeal.

Thank you

Thank you Carl, I feel a bit frustrated that I missed these details! I do keep looking at number 2 and actually I think it is far better than I have given myself credit for. Its the style I like and its pretty. But again thank you for always encouraging me :)
You're welcome Laura. You seem to be getting to grips very quickly - a number of improvements already. The fact that there is visible detail throughout the images i.e. in both the sky and dark areas of the church building, is a really good sign that things are coming together nicely for you.

Hey Laura ... I agree with the above ... plus ...

#2 I think would benefit from a little more below ie showing where the door arch meets ground, or is that hidden by grass?

#3 I'd like that bit of light on stone on RHS cropped.

Thanks for sharing, hope you don't mind the crit. (y)

Hey Laura ... I agree with the above ... plus ...

#2 I think would benefit from a little more below ie showing where the door arch meets ground, or is that hidden by grass?

#3 I'd like that bit of light on stone on RHS cropped.

Thanks for sharing, hope you don't mind the crit. (y)
Hi no of course I don't mind you saying that, I literally had to squeeze this image in and my boys were coming to jump on me. I wish i'd have had 10 minutes to myself to explore it a little more, there could've been a better image that will just make me consider that for future shots.

#3 post production is an area I have barely explored by now. I don't even have a little bit of a clue how I could crop it without cropping out a chunk of picture. Hopefully in 6 months I will look back and say "oh yeah, easy peasy" but for now it's :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Of course I don't mind criticism, if you told me my pictures are perfect then I wouldn't know how to improve. I joined P52 to learn so please do criticise :)

... and I forgot to mention how I love the sharp focus of #1, the low POV and OOF grass in #2 and how shooting through doorways/gateways is such a great idea.

(y)

Hi Laura, #2, 3 for me.
Shame about the tree on the left in #3 but still good :) #2 is lovely , a crop as mentioned might take it up a notch.
Just been on your flickr and there's some lovely shots of the family at the church as well DSC_0860 - get the boy modeling for you :) DSC_0828 is also nice but I think you've just missed the focus on his eyes (1.8 can be hard to work with) Sorry for wondering off topic

Wander away my friend I appreciate that you've take the time to look. My new lens did feel harder to get focus right but I will get there (I hope) xx

Nice set of shots for Religious and I agree with the comments above except I prefer #3. Just crop the light wall on the RHS and it will be prefect for me. Well done. :clap:

Nice set of shots for Religious and I agree with the comments above except I prefer #3. Just crop the light wall on the RHS and it will be prefect for me. Well done. :clap:
Thank you, I'm embarrassed to ask but what does RHS mean?

Back