Project Darkroom has begun

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
I haven't ruled it out. Most of my photography is colour....it's just printing looks a tricky beast, with colour matching and temperature.

The Nova heated vertical slot processors make colour printing a doddle. And for colour balancing, all you need is one of the Kodak filter kits that sell on eBay for £10. You look at the print through coloured gels of various strength which indicate how the enlarger's filters should be changed. It's dead easy once you get the hang of it. And of course, once you have the balance sorted for one negative, it stays the same for all the other shots in roughly the same light (assuming you don't change film or paper type).

The Nova heated vertical slot processors make colour printing a doddle. And for colour balancing, all you need is one of the Kodak filter kits that sell on eBay for £10. You look at the print through coloured gels of various strength which indicate how the enlarger's filters should be changed. It's dead easy once you get the hang of it. And of course, once you have the balance sorted for one negative, it stays the same for all the other shots in roughly the same light (assuming you don't change film or paper type).

Well, every day is a school day! I never knew of such filters. Thank you!

Going picking this enlarger and accessories up today. All unused it seems. Only problem is, there's no timer but I am sure I can get one eventually.

And.....back! Went to Chester to collect...

An almost brand new LPL 7700 pro in box. The only thing I can see that isn't there is the bulb so will need to source one of those. Are they simply just a normal, holagoen bulb as described on the leaflet that's in there? Several safe lamps, although the one with a plug on is more orange than red. Is this normal?. It is a large, square Ilford one. A brand new Patterson developing tank and reel, dark bag, containers for chemicals, measuring cylinders and funnel, print washer, drying rack, hose, thermometer, developing trays, tongs, squeegee and man, many boxes of paper. Some Ilford B&W, lots of Kodak Bromide paper from 1967/68 which probably won't work. All in all, I think a pretty good deal, especially for a brand new enlarger which sells for IRO £1,600.

And.....back! Went to Chester to collect...

An almost brand new LPL 7700 pro in box. The only thing I can see that isn't there is the bulb so will need to source one of those. Are they simply just a normal, holagoen bulb as described on the leaflet that's in there? Several safe lamps, although the one with a plug on is more orange than red. Is this normal?. It is a large, square Ilford one. A brand new Patterson developing tank and reel, dark bag, containers for chemicals, measuring cylinders and funnel, print washer, drying rack, hose, thermometer, developing trays, tongs, squeegee and man, many boxes of paper. Some Ilford B&W, lots of Kodak Bromide paper from 1967/68 which probably won't work. All in all, I think a pretty good deal, especially for a brand new enlarger which sells for IRO £1,600.

You should be fine with a normal wide wavelength bulb, ie. not an LED. Just fit the correct wattage as specced in the manual.

Can't remember but I think the lamp is specific, its a silly wattage, not something you buy from Sainsbury's.
I'll either have a look at mine or it'll be specified in the manual.
I changed mine not long after I got it due to varying print exposures, but that was yonks back.

You should be fine with a normal wide wavelength bulb, ie. not an LED. Just fit the correct wattage as specced in the manual.
Can't remember but I think the lamp is specific, its a silly wattage, not something you buy from Sainsbury's.
I'll either have a look at mine or it'll be specified in the manual.
I changed mine not long after I got it due to varying print exposures, but that was yonks back.
yeah, its a 12v 100w quartz dichroic

Perfect, thanks chaps and @Peter B for the link. Will get a couple ordered.

I saw that yesterday but no, nowhere near London and nothing to fit it in.

And if you haven't got a book on darkroom printing, I can recommend these. You can pick these up really cheap second hand from Amazon or usually even cheaper at camera fairs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph.../1857324072/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547460487

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Beyond...240816250/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/260-6912237-7531208

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Darkroom-H...852231881/ref=pd_sbs_14_3/260-6912237-7531208

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Larry-Bart...inting-Workshop/dp/0863433669/ref=pd_sbs_14_9

I have saved lots of money using abe books, last ordered a set of three photographic books retail price £60.00 price to me delivered £5.99.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/

I have saved lots of money using abe books, last ordered a set of three photographic books retail price £60.00 price to me delivered £5.99.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/
Excellent idea, just ordered The Camera and The Negative from them, total under £15 inc shipping! Thanks Richard

Will take a look at some books when I am ready to go. Put the worktop up yesterday which has plenty room for three trays so I don't NEED a dedicated sink, just one to dump chemicals down and wash prints. Might even get a print washer for this so I can just use a small, old porcelain sink I have knocking about and small worktop.

The new worktop is sat on top of an old chest of drawers I had knocking about which has now got paper in it and will also be used for storing bulbs and other dark room accessories. I also put the orange safelight up yesterday which looks cool. There is also another, smaller one without a plug so will try and attach that tomorrow. It's looking very ghetto, but think I am ok with that.

I also put the orange safelight up yesterday which looks cool. There is also another, smaller one without a plug so will try and attach that tomorrow. It's looking very ghetto, but think I am ok with that.

paper and coin test for those two...:)

Finally, after many months and today’s trip to North Wales to collect some stuff from @Toonie , I have made my first darkroom print at home! [emoji1]
It’s not a perfect setup and I still need a washing area but it works. The huge, Ilford orange safelight makes it feel like it’s not a darkroom and was a little unnerving but it seems fine. I’ve done for this evening and will get back on it tomorrow.

Back