Projecting

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
So off the back of Nick's E6 thread, I wondered if there are many projectors here?

- Do you/have you project(ed) your sildes?
- Do you do medium format?
- Do you project for yourself or for others?
- The internet says MF projected images are something quite special. Is this true?
- I listened to the FPP podcast about projecting a year (or two!) ago which put me off because sourcing bulbs can be a nightmare, and if you don't do it properly, you can burn your negatives. Is this a fallacy or true? [oddly specific I know...]

I have never, in my life, seen medium format projected images. I think I would like to.

Yes to Q1, both to Q3. But I, like you, have never seen any MF.

We have a mixture of family 60s & 70S slides - Kodachrome looking stunning 60 years on plus some own brand stuff from the early 80s.

I started shooting slide film myself in mid 2000s and have a fresh roll mounted every so often. Hopefully my kids will think twice about chucking them out when the wife and I are gone.

35mm second hand projectors were v good value a few years ago - not sure now though.

Edit: They still are good value! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bell-How...745780?hash=item4222be69b4:g:AGEAAOSwDb5fjbdZ

Last edited:
It's incredible and I wish I had more shots on slide.
I've got a Norris Trumpf medium format projector with spare bulbs, it also does 35mm. You can have it if you want, I'll never use it and it cost peanuts.

I have two projectors with appropriate equipment for dissolve projection. Both are 35mm.

I used slide film in 35mm, never larger. With no Kodachrome available, slide film has no appeal. I haven't knowingly seen a larger slide projected.

It is possible to heat up slides, and some projectors had heat filters. Slides can pop on heating, leading to a need to refocus. I imagine it could be possible to put in a too hot running bulb.

Last edited:
Yes
No
Myself and family (only those genuinely interested - no conscription here!)
Don't know but I wouldn't be surprised
As you won't be projecting negatives I'd say fallacy to that. ;) However, if you park a slide for too long and the fan on the projector isn't working properly then I'd imagine you could distort or melt a slide with the heat from the bulb.

I use my Dad's old 1960s Hanimex LaRonde Auto 35mm slide projector and it still works OK, but I've had to replace the original drive belt as it broke - I used a nitrile rubber O ring seal of the right diameter and thickness for this, as the genuine part wasn't listed for the model of projector I have, and the O ring was considerably cheaper than the other similar projector drive belts listed too!

Sadly my Dad's old cine projector no longer works, so I can't currently view the old colour cine films of the family from the 1960s.

Last edited:
So do we need a [post-COVID] TP Projection meet where we all fetch some 6x6 slides along and Andy projects them whilst we drink beer and throw popcorn at the screen?

If only to say that yes - MF slides do exist and we've seen them!!

Last edited:
Thinking about it, I have seen (in magazines) "creative" results from melting the emulsion. Along with other distressing processes. Pun intended.

So do we need a [post-COVID] TP Projection meet where we all fetch some 6x6 slides along and Andy projects them whilst we drink beer and throw popcorn at the screen?
THIS we absolutely need, it also needs a suitably 1950's village hall in which to do it (there is something vaguely like that in our village except they don't allow booze), we could also throw popcorn at Andy :LOL:

I'm afraid, having once tried it (1971) I don't like beer. Nor popcorn. And I have no 6x6 slides. Plus by the time restrictions are removed, I won't be around - even if I made it into the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest man.

THIS we absolutely need, it also needs a suitably 1950's village hall in which to do it (there is something vaguely like that in our village except they don't allow booze), we could also throw popcorn at Andy :LOL:
I think we'd need Mrs Snap's permission for that, as he'd probably eat it! ;) :exit:

But damn, have I been looking at 120 E6 film? and I'm half a bottle of wine in :facepalm:

It's all your fault Ian
:bat:

Heh, my eye is straying to the only 6x6 camera I have, which is an Automat that I don't really get on with.... Lots of E100 though... Thanks to someone who shall remain nameless suggesting it might be a nice alternative to Provia 100.

I'm afraid, having once tried it (1971) I don't like beer. Nor popcorn. And I have no 6x6 slides. Plus by the time restrictions are removed, I won't be around - even if I made it into the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest man.
That's what I like about the British, it's being so cheerful that keeps us going! :LOL:

Last edited:
Heh, my eye is straying to the only 6x6 camera I have, which is an Automat that I don't really get on with.... Lots of E100 though... Thanks to someone who shall remain nameless suggesting it might be a nice alternative to Provia 100.
Well, there's always the Ensign Selfix 820 that has built-in fold-out shutters in the film chamber to enable 6x6 as well as 6x9. The Voiglander Perkeo is 6x6 and is still fairly affordable too (viewfinder is quite small though). You've probably missed the boat for classic good-quality TLRs at sub-£100 prices, but there's always the Lubitel 2 and 166, which might offer a cheap and visually focusable 6x6 camera option.

Last edited:
I know, that's what I like about the British, it's being so cheerful that keeps us going! :LOL:

I thought it was sennapods that did that.

Been there (York). Got the photo.

Anyway, back towards topic. If you can make the effort to get the projector out, wait for it to go dark enough (winter evenings are ideal), set the screen up and load the slides carefully into the slide magazine (no matter how careful you are, there's usually at least one the wrong way round or upside down!), then there's something a bit magical about seeing a 35mm slide appear as an image a few feet wide and tall. I'd imagine 120 6x6 is even nicer.

For me it's usually a trip down memory lane too, as Dad used to use Kodachrome 64 for high days and holidays, so it's lovely every couple of years or so to project these slides and re-live the memories.

I did project the new Ektachrome slides I took last year, and they looked even nicer than the scans I'd had done. So I can recommend trying slide projection if you've not experienced it before. It can be a far cry from the days of buttock-numbing boredom sitting there watching the neighbour's holiday slides after being lured round there under the pretence of a party! I think that's probably what got 'slide shows' a bad press... and often for good reason in that respect. :whistle:

Last edited:
I dug out my ancient Boots/Hanimex 35mm projector a couple of years ago for a friend to see his late dad's slides from the 80s. As an IT pro who has scoffed at me using film, he was genuinely amazed by the projected slides, even though they weren't taken on a brilliant camera.

I was enthused enough to view some of my own slides (ok, a lot) but was also moved to bin quite a lot of them. It's a very worthwhile lockdown experience that I would recommend to anyone with a projector, but only show the best to others!

I don't like beer. Nor popcorn.

What about whiskey & cigarettes... That smoke curling through the light of the projector...
Or non-alcoholic wine and a vaper?

What about whiskey & cigarettes... That smoke curling through the light of the projector...
Now that does remind me of my Dad; the cigarette smoke (Senior Service) hanging in strata across the living room by 10pm, when The Sweeny finished and it was time for bed! You couldn't beat a 1970s childhood. :)

I'm sure between us we could find a decent bottle of malt...
Old Pulteney?

Last edited:
Malt scotch, thanks. Preferably either Macallan or Islay. And preferrably the plain simple versions rather than "the triple matured in old root beer barrels that have travelled three times round the world in a sailing ship before being transferred to an old bourbon cask and kept for 5 months in a subterranean vault previous inhabited by Nessie" modern style...

Now that does remind me of my Dad; the cigarette smoke (Senior Service) hanging in strata across the living room by 10pm, when The Sweeny finished and it was time for bed! You couldn't beat a 1970s childhood. :)

Old Pulteney?

It's an interesting one, but not a favourite. I'm more a Bruichladdich or Laphroig type outide of Speyside.

It's an interesting one, but not a favourite. I'm more a Bruichladdich or Laphroig type outide of Speyside.
I'm not a fan of stuff that's peat-smoked to the extent that I'm getting notes of TCP antiseptic. How about a straight 12 year old Bunnahabhain Islay single malt then? EDIT. It seems they've changed it since I last bought a bottle, so scratch that idea!

Last edited:
Fine in theory, but it seems to be increasingly difficult to avoid designer malt. There was a very interesting (to me) article by R. L. Dabney back in the 19th century with a title something like "The effect of the German University system on theological education". Like much of his writing, it contained principles that extend beyond his immediate objective. The relevant lesson here is the insidious idea that newer is always better, and change is always an improvement. Or in management speak "the worst thing you can do is nothing". If it ain't broke, you can't fix it but you can still change it.

I know this is highly irrelevant, but Dabney represents my main reading interest, and the only subject I feel I know something about.

Well I still have my Kodak Carousel and an extra large screen, last year bought a Voigtlander with two lenses for £5 at the bootie to see if the projected image is sharper but still looking for a cassette for it as it only takes one slide at a time....one day, if anybody in the family is interested, would set up to show my slides again but as I've scanned them to jpgs they are happy with those.

Last edited:
I’ll come to the party providing there is some 8mm ciné projection included.
If I’m going to suffer the recollection of childhood boredom viewing family slides then I insist on going the whole hog...... Running commentary is obligatory ( even if increasingly slurred as the evening progresses lol)

I might be able to help you with that...... I have a rarely used Ross Ensign 12-20 that might fit the bill.;-)

Last edited:
I have a Hanimex Rondette and a Kodak Carousel (with 2 zoom lenses) in the loft (and 3 Eumig cine projectors & one other I can't remember in the shed).

Would love to get all the cine onto DVD but when recording onto a camera always get some paralax distortion.

Shop charge way too much for this service.

Fine in theory, but it seems to be increasingly difficult to avoid designer malt. There was a very interesting (to me) article by R. L. Dabney back in the 19th century with a title something like "The effect of the German University system on theological education". Like much of his writing, it contained principles that extend beyond his immediate objective. The relevant lesson here is the insidious idea that newer is always better, and change is always an improvement. Or in management speak "the worst thing you can do is nothing". If it ain't broke, you can't fix it but you can still change it.

I know this is highly irrelevant, but Dabney represents my main reading interest, and the only subject I feel I know something about.
I think William Shakespeare summed things up in King Lear: "Striving to better, oft we mar what's well."!

Dear me. Never even been to a cinema! Amazing.

I have a Hanimex Rondette and a Kodak Carousel (with 2 zoom lenses) in the loft (and 3 Eumig cine projectors & one other I can't remember in the shed).

Would love to get all the cine onto DVD but when recording onto a camera always get some paralax distortion.

Shop charge way too much for this service.

Well my father had all his cine films put onto a video cassette but the problem watching is the dates are all over the place as e.g. you see my children very young then older then back to young and all in between entirely different shots like scenery etc:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back