Projecting

Well, it had to be done! I went round to see my Mum at the weekend (support bubble rule allows this) and suggested that we had a look at some of the holiday and family photos my Dad took on slide film (Kodachrome 64) in the late 60s and early 70s. Out came the projector and screen, and we had a very nice evening reminiscing about the places we had been, long since departed family pets and laughing at photos of me as a toddler, etc. What other hobby can give you and your descendants memories like that?

50528895758_9b8d88781d_b.jpg

This is a phone shot I took of the screen, showing a holiday photo taken in 1969 of Caernarfon Castle, all decked out for Prince Charles' investiture as Prince of Wales. So there you have it, some of the joys of projecting slides. :)

50529619076_55fdc41d8f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ektachrome E100VS medium format slides.

My Hasselblad 503 and stock of Ektachrome are long gone, but I still have a nice Rollei 66 projector I use to view these. You can't see any grain, even projected eight feet wide. These are Rollei anti-newton glass mounts, and surprisingly heavy when you have a box full.

(BTW...2nd hand mounts, hence the strange labels).

mf-slides.jpg

I watched this video earlier today and it has some what I at first thought were 120 slides featured. I guess they could be 126 or 127 slides though - there's nothing to give scale (plus the borders on the mounts look wider than @FujiLove 's example above).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VxvljHtbJM
Looks like standard sized Kodachrome 35mm slide mounts shown there Nige, but square format, so probably 126?. 127 slides had a thinner border around the mount due to the larger size of the frame.

I love the way they printed the month and year on the cardboard mount too in those days, which you can see on some of them. It's amazing to think that after 40 or 50 or so years the colours are still just as vibrant, and other than dust (or mildew if they've been stored in damp conditions) there's not much that seems to go wrong with them. Even the cardboard mounts seem to stay together. :)

Last edited:
Back