Prom Night!

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple from a shoot this evening of a prom night...

Any feedback and cc is welcomed. The scene was a manor hour in the country side. As the young ladies were running fashionably late by the time it came to the shoot there was no time so we had about 5 minutes before they had to be somewhere else. All shot with a d750, 24-70 Nikkor and one off camera flash. Getting a smile out of 16 years olds was probably the toughest part ha ha

Forgive me if i don't respond to any questions this evening as I'm about to pass out!.... zzzzzzzz

20160530-dsc_0598.jpg

20160530-dsc_0599.jpg

20160530-dsc_0603.jpg

20160530-dsc_0601.jpg

Nice location, Jason!

Cool shooting too, maybe a tip…
see if you could bring some light in the area
where she's standing just to better define and
detach her from the BG:

Thank Kodiak - There maybe something I can do in editing when i re-visit this morning

There maybe something I can do in editing when i re-visit this morning

I don't think so if the file is like what I see.
At this point, I see two possibilities:

— reshoot with an extra light source.

— built a composite with a take where you
might have got the spot without subject but
lit BG as in picture #4..

I'm just getting into people photography and try to apply my landscape experience into this genre. I look at the scene, perhaps even after taking a few shots, and then go for "the one". I completely get the fact that you only had minutes to get the shots you wanted and haven't we all been there? Did you seek out your chosen shoot spot in advance? If you did then I think you missed a trick as I would have used one of the chairs in the scene and sat the subject/s and used it while they stood so they could do something with their hands. I do like the shots you took though and what a location, beautifully rich warm colours and sharp as a sharp thing.

Thanks Brian - Your Probably right on the chairs to be fair. One of the reasons I went with this location was for the symmetry aspect. Whilst they stood where they did they were also covering up the background of the kitchen however if i had more time again Id most certainly try and use the chair in some way.

Her red and white shoes are bugging me. :)

When she first walked in the room I spotted them too. I think id change them if i were to use the images in my portfolio to be fair

When she first walked in the room I spotted them too. I think id change them if i were to use the images in my portfolio to be fair

Depends on what you're trying to show, I reckon. For a fashion portfolio shot they're out of place; for a portrait of an independent-minded young woman they give a glimpse of her character beyond the formal frock. I'd leave them as is.

I like these a lot; I'd crop to lose the stairs on the left and enhance the symmetry.
The chair on the left is the brightest bit of the image so tends to draw the eye.
And fwiw I think I'd have tried to use the stairs rather than the doorway, but that's just me.

Back