pros and cons of PC v apple mac..

Registry Cleaners aren't a good idea to use. There is very little benefit and they can severely damage your system if they make a mistake... which they are prone to doing.

I've seen more computers made unbootable from Reg Cleaners than I have seen computers with speed improvements because of them.

I use custom search for registry and temp files. I have spend 3 years learning about this OS at uni, I almost know how it works :) But you are right, reg cleaners straight out of the box can be dangerous.

Sebastian said:
Few words from me...
PC User since 1997. Can't remember the last time I had a virus. I guess read before click applies here.
Speed - last Windows re-install was 2 years ago due to change in HDD topology. Since that time my PC stayed almost as fast as on day 1.
Every 2 days: EasyCleaner. Antivirus: Avast.
Current OS: Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux, which is FANTASTIC OS and very similar to OSX in many aspects. And it's free.

Few facts:

[*]Lightroom 3 has the same minimal specs required for both Windows ans OSX
[*]I have recently purchased THIS laptop for £839
[*]Apple's equivalent: £1,869.00 incl. VAT, with slower HDD and less powerful graphics card
[*]Apple support is second to none. No discussion here.
[*]Mac's build quality is much better than average laptop.
[*]Apple's closed architecture ensures maximum compatibility and performance from OSX
[*]Windows needs to handle all the variations of hardware and software and it's not optimized for one/few configurations. If it's good for everything, it can't be perfect.
[*]Windows is less limiting software than OSX, but is causing more problems to average users.
[*]You can install Windows on Mac. You can install OSX on certain PCs with compatible components.

I like Windows and I know how to use it and keep it fresh.
I use Linux that is a nice mix of the best features from both Windows and OSX.
I do realise that in case of hardware problems with my laptop I won't get as good support from Asus, Dell, etc than from Apple.
I'm a PC user, because I want the most processing power for my money.

It's all up to you guys. Easy usage and great support vs more power for the same money, but more potential (!) problems in the future.

If you don't like Apple, don't eat it and leave Mac users alone. They have paid for slightly overpriced hardware, but also for GREAT OSX that is maxing out Mac's potential and amazing support that we, PC users, won't have.

Great post. Either system will do the job, it's just down to aesthetics, cost & personal preference.

Thanks mate.

One more thing:

I think PC users should at leas consider using Linux. After all OSX comes from Linux family.
It's so much fun! It's easy to use, looks GREAT and you can install it just like you install any other application using WUBI installer!! http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer
It creates a folder on your drive and that's it. You can pick your OS after starting your PC.
It can revive older machines due to lower requirements and you will get the taste of OSX for free :)
Demo of ubuntu and Compiz 3d desktop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfRpmqKRbs

Last edited:
Mac vs PC? Just pick whatever tickles your fancy the most. W7 and OS X are both very good OSes that do largely the same things, albeit in different ways. OS X is more user friendly, but honestly it's all the same - even for graphic design.

I think PC users should at leas consider using Linux. After all OSX comes from Linux family.
[RANTMODE]When I built my last PC (it wasn't that long ago - early 2009) I installed Ubuntu on it, thinking I'd ditch windows completely (still on XP at the time). The worst mistake I made - I ended up finding so many annoying bugs in the UI (the OS was as stable as anything, but you'd expect that) including, but not limited to:

• Firefox would sometimes play flash sites, sometimes not
  • File open dialogs that would sometimes be so small they'd have to be resized
  • CD writing software that wrote CDs that can't be read on Windows machines by default
  • UI freezes/crashes (latest drivers and running Compiz 3d)
  • OpenOffice may read word files, but it doesn't render them the same
There were lots of other annoying bugs that appeared to me to be down to decentralised development and not enough testing (I run software projects based across the world for a day job, so have some experience here...).

I also ended up running XP in a virtual machine to get access to software I wanted to use and started to use the XP VM more than the host Linux machine it was getting to be a case of the tail wagging the dog. One day I got so frustrated with the UI bugs I just re-installed XP and didn't look back.

I'm not a novice linux user (I have 2 linux machines here running xbmc and mythtv - one sharing files across the network for streaming - so I use linux on a day-to-day basis) and my first exposure to linux was back in 1994 when I ran 0.99e instead of Windows 3.11 for a year or so. I also use cygwin under Windows as I'm far more familiar with bash scripting than I am with batch files (plus the *nix command line is so much more versatile than DOS).
[/RANTMODE]

Demo of ubuntu and Compiz 3d desktop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfRpmqKRbs
Yes, it looks lovely, but unless they've sorted out the bugs and not introduced others, using it on a daily basis is like having your eyes poked out with a hot iron ;) :D

WRT bashing Mac users, you'll find that some of the more forceful posters here (me included) tend to have a relatively low profile and only surface when disciples from the Church of Apple come and make rather sweeping statements about how much better macs are than PCs. For example "I upgraded my 3 year old machine to a new mac and it's so much quicker so go for it" - well, der, it's a newer machine and probably quite a lot higher in spec, so it should be, but then an equivalent PC will do exactly the same. Or "I have to re-install Windows every 6 months as it slows down" - see posts above...

If you prefer OSX as a UI to Windows 7 or one of the Linux distributions then fine - go for it and enjoy it, but there isn't anything inherently better about macs than an equivalent PC. It's just a different UI running on the same hardware. Nothing more, nothing less...

[RANTMODE]When I built my last PC (it wasn't that long ago - early 2009) I installed Ubuntu on it, thinking I'd ditch windows completely (still on XP at the time). The worst mistake I made - I ended up finding so many annoying bugs in the UI (the OS was as stable as anything, but you'd expect that) including, but not limited to:

• Firefox would sometimes play flash sites, sometimes not
  • File open dialogs that would sometimes be so small they'd have to be resized
  • CD writing software that wrote CDs that can't be read on Windows machines by default
  • UI freezes/crashes (latest drivers and running Compiz 3d)
  • OpenOffice may read word files, but it doesn't render them the same
There were lots of other annoying bugs that appeared to me to be down to decentralised development and not enough testing (I run software projects based across the world for a day job, so have some experience here...).

I also ended up running XP in a virtual machine to get access to software I wanted to use and started to use the XP VM more than the host Linux machine it was getting to be a case of the tail wagging the dog. One day I got so frustrated with the UI bugs I just re-installed XP and didn't look back.

I'm not a novice linux user (I have 2 linux machines here running xbmc and mythtv - one sharing files across the network for streaming - so I use linux on a day-to-day basis) and my first exposure to linux was back in 1994 when I ran 0.99e instead of Windows 3.11 for a year or so. I also use cygwin under Windows as I'm far more familiar with bash scripting than I am with batch files (plus the *nix command line is so much more versatile than DOS).
[/RANTMODE]

Yes, it looks lovely, but unless they've sorted out the bugs and not introduced others, using it on a daily basis is like having your eyes poked out with a hot iron ;) :D

Few good points here Andy, but a lot of things was changed since 2009. For example: when I have installed Ubuntu on my laptop in early 2009, I had a problem with majority of drivers. Now...none. They are certainly improving it. I'm not saying: abandon Windows and go Linux. I'm just saying that it's worth trying and with Wubi installer - anyone can do it.

My new quad core iMac with 12gb of ram is deffo faster than my 4 year old dual core with 4gb of RAM and its all thanks to Steve Jobs!!!!!!!! :geek::D

WRT bashing Mac users, you'll find that some of the more forceful posters here (me included) tend to have a relatively low profile and only surface when disciples from the Church of Apple come and make rather sweeping statements about how much better macs are than PCs. For example "I upgraded my 3 year old machine to a new mac and it's so much quicker so go for it" - well, der, it's a newer machine and probably quite a lot higher in spec, so it should be, but then an equivalent PC will do exactly the same. Or "I have to re-install Windows every 6 months as it slows down" - see posts above...

If you prefer OSX as a UI to Windows 7 or one of the Linux distributions then fine - go for it and enjoy it, but there isn't anything inherently better about macs than an equivalent PC. It's just a different UI running on the same hardware. Nothing more, nothing less...

I keep trying every release of Ubuntu but it always fails in my eyes - I always end up with some piece of hardware that just won't work no matter how long I piss about typing stuff into the terminal, and then I also find I end up hating open office or whatever suite is in the distro.

Oh another thing about Lion OSX

It's £21 to upgrade ALL your macs, not £21 each, it's an unrestricted personal license :)

Don't know if Win7 is like that.

No its not, for the reasons I mention it never will be as cheap.

Not the cost but the license, can you legally use your Win7 upgrade disc on every PC you own, or should you buy a new upgrade for each PC

Not the cost but the license, can you legally use your Win7 upgrade disc on every PC you own, or should you buy a new upgrade for each PC

To a certain extent you can use the same key by saying you had a failed motherboard and it was replaced, thus giving them a phone call will re-activate your key for you.

Or buy a 1 year technet subscription for about £80 to get all Microsoft Products and with around 5 keys for each product and some of them are Volume Licensing (Unlimited use)

you can get a 3 PC install pack for windows 7 home premium. but otherwise windows is on a 1 PC only basis.

To a certain extent you can use the same key by saying you had a failed motherboard and it was replaced, thus giving them a phone call will re-activate your key for you.

hope youre not suggesting you can use the same key on a single licence on more than one PC at the same time..?

Or buy a 1 year technet subscription for about £80 to get all Microsoft Products and with around 5 keys for each product and some of them are Volume Licensing (Unlimited use)

technet licences are meant for testing only and are not meant for permanent use.

My new quad core iMac with 12gb of ram is deffo faster than my 4 year old dual core with 4gb of RAM and its all thanks to Steve Jobs!!!!!!!! :geek::D
My quad core PC with 16G of memory is faster than your brand new iMac - and it's all courtesy of myself!!! :D

(for a change, I get to win the willy waving contests for a while.... :D)

you can get a 3 PC install pack for windows 7 home premium. but otherwise windows is on a 1 PC only basis.

Yes, correct.

hope youre not suggesting you can use the same key on a single licence on more than one PC at the same time..?

Nope, but if I get a new pc for my use then I will use the same again.

technet licences are meant for testing only and are not meant for permanent use.

Yes, im testing Windows 7 all the time!

Are the E-penis' or should that be Ipeni being waved yet?:)

Avid PC user for my whole life.

Just started using a quad core 4gb ram powermac G5 tower to test the water and although it's way older than my latest PC, it IS quicker for demanding tasks like loading liquify filter on 16bit 500mb images in CS4 PS. I'm sold...

Now saving for a new Mac Pro tower

That and if you want access to all MS Products, the technet license will cost a hell of a lot more. (Oh and I believe all main bits of software have a 1 year expiry on them.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting the cheapest MacBook Pro at the end of the month (hopefully when Lion is shipping installed). So I'd like to think I have an relatively unbiased opinion on the matter. I used every Windows release since 3.1, and never really had an issues - I had zero issues with Vista while everyone else was moaning about it, Vista still holds the record of the "longest surviving installation" of over 2 years. (I've run Windows 7 since the release and that has been unlucky with a number of harddrive failures requiring me to reinstall). I have no issues with Windows, my main desktop computer runs 7, and it does everything I need to do easily, a similar Mac Pro would cost way more and I'd end up with something like a HD5770 rather than the Crossfired 5870s I have in my windows PC. So I'll likely never move away from Windows on my main desktop.

However I've had a few laptops over the years, generally they've all been a bit plasticy, with average screens, keyboards, touchpads, etc. None of them have had really good battery lives, and my 11.6" CULV only lasts around 2hrs, so I've got to the stage where if I'm going to be away from power sockets for awhile it's just not worth carrying about.

On my laptop all I require now is:

-MS Office (although iWork might do the job too)
-Video playing capability
-Lightroom (or Aperture)
-Decent battery life
-Decent Warranty
-Looks good, feels good (nice keyboard, trackpad, display)

Through the Apple National HE contract I get a 3 year warranty (so like Applecare bar the unnecessary telephone support) and 15% off list price. So a 13" i5 MBP for £850 with 3 year warranty just about creeps into my acceptable price range

My quad core PC with 16G of memory is faster than your brand new iMac - and it's all courtesy of myself!!! :D

(for a change, I get to win the willy waving contests for a while.... :D)

I wasn't waving my willy at all. In fact I tend to keep it put away out and about! ;)

I would have rebuilt my PC but the wife said no, so we got the iMac instead. Then again, I have never really given a toss about which OS I use and converting over has been relatively painless. I just need to install W7 for when I feel the urge to game.

i know you say youve already made your decision but for that price you could get a dell lattitude which would be better spec'd and have a great battery life.

I'm looking at the 13.3" Dell Lattitudes now on the Dell site, for £920 I can get the same specs as the £850 MBP, so the MBP still(especially as the Dell looks a bit crappy) wins.

It's a close run thing, but on the whole, even if I was able to get some sort of HE discount on the Dell, I'd go for the MBP.

I'm looking at the 13.3" Dell Lattitudes now on the Dell site, for £920 I can get the same specs as the £850 MBP, so the MBP still(especially as the Dell looks a bit crappy) wins.

It's a close run thing, but on the whole, even if I was able to get some sort of HE discount on the Dell, I'd go for the MBP.

i've had a dell latitude laptop in the past and when compared to a macbook it was so much nicer to use the macbook. OS and performance aside I'm talking about actual feel and use.

I found the macbook lighter, the keyboard felt better, the trackpad felt better the form factor felt better also. In general everything about using the macbook over the dell was a better experience.

That was 5 years ago, so I don't know how it would measure up now.

MBPs are just nice.

People buy Mac's for the same reason they buy an expensive car. It's a luxury item, any computer ultimately is.

If Specs is the only thing you consider when buying a computer, build a PC Tower. Most people look for a couple of other factors though.

I hate the constant Mac v PC debate, especially as people on both "sides" claim some really stupid things.

If on the other hand you criticise my Opera browser, that's a different story. :LOL:

What's your latest PC?

Now that is an expensive way of running OSX....

It was a Dell quad core 2.6ghz I THINK, 4GB ram, windows 7. Basically the same spec, or very similar as the G5 I now have.

The Mac Pro is where I'm going for sure and I just plain simple refuse to argue or even debate it. Thank you have a nice day (y)

MBPs are just nice.

People buy Mac's for the same reason they buy an expensive car. It's a luxury item, any computer ultimately is.

If Specs is the only thing you consider when buying a computer, build a PC Tower. Most people look for a couple of other factors though.

I hate the constant Mac v PC debate, especially as people on both "sides" claim some really stupid things.

If on the other hand you criticise my Opera browser, that's a different story. :LOL:

Exactamondo...open up a Mac Pro tower and tell me it's not put together well, I dare you, lol.

Its like BMW/Mercedes Vs Ford/Vauxhall. Sure a Monaro VXR has a nice spec on paper, but it doesn't make me lust for one over an AMG :wave:

Exactamondo...open up a Mac Pro tower and tell me it's not put together well, I dare you, lol.

Its like BMW/Mercedes Vs Ford/Vauxhall. Sure a Monaro VXR has a nice spec on paper, but it doesn't make me lust for one over an AMG :wave:

My PC is probably just aswell put together than a Mac Pro, has a better overall spec, and cost loads less. The only thing Mac Pros seem to win is in the CPU category, but then with a i7 930 OCed, something else is always the bottleneck, GPU, HDD, etc.

The HD5770 is laughable - it's a cheapo consumer card on a £2000 baseunit. The Mac Pros just make all the other Mac products look like bargains.

MBPs are just nice.

that depends what you call nice.. nice isnt having to pay more for an "anti-glare" screen. nice isnt having the sharp edge to the machined wrist rest digging into your skin.

but thats just me :D

thats said though, some of the engineering such as the latest MBA for example (although horribly overpriced and underspec'd) i can appriciate. the mac pro's spec'd to the limits are amazingly fast but again overpriced for my liking (but then i dont have to pay for the ones in the office).

We use the Dell latitude E series here and as PC laptops go, they're good bits of kit, well built etc. But the unibody MBPs feel so much more solid. Then there are little details like the magnetic power adaptor.

It was a Dell quad core 2.6ghz I THINK, 4GB ram, windows 7. Basically the same spec, or very similar as the G5 I now have.
The raw processing power should be reasonably equivalent, and the operation you're doing is only horsepower related so I'm :thinking: over that one.

The Mac Pro is where I'm going for sure and I just plain simple refuse to argue or even debate it. Thank you have a nice day (y)
I was just saying it's an expensive way of running OSX. At no point did I suggest you shouldn't run OSX, nor suggest you buy something different ;)

arad85 said:
IMHO, the IT industry contains both those who do and don't know what they're on about and probably isn't the best way to start a post on saying you work in the industry... ;)

is that like asking for a photo critique and discounting comments from non pro's or do you ask for references and samples first?

The op asked a question starting a debate, which I thought I felt qualified to post an opinion on having owned several of both systems, I didn't realise those opinions are invalidated by saying I work in IT, no wonder this forum struggles to promote healthy discussion if to prevent insta-flames you have to post your cv, certifications passed and have three references :s

Now that is an expensive way of running OSX....

Oh come on a fully top speced mac Pro for £13,656.00 why do you think that is expensive for a home computer :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Actually I doubt ANYONE would ,buy that as who would want 4 SSD totalling 2 TB, when you could have 12 TB of hard drive for £3,700 less :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise those opinions are invalidated by saying I work in IT
No. Your opinions were invalidated by you posting FUD rather than a reasoned statement based on your experience. Justifying a position that is FUD by saying you work in the industry probably isn't the smartest thing to do as those that do, or have some experience, will jump on you for it...

arad85 said:
No. Your opinions were invalidated by you posting FUD rather than a reasoned statement based on your experience. Justifying a position that is FUD ...

well we have something in common other than photography there I guess. Grats

25 years in the industry (just short of) and as an it manager for one of the largest companies on the planet and running two it consultancy firms I bow to your vastly superior knowledge oh great one.

Last edited:
Back