pros and cons of PC v apple mac..

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
i'm looking to replace my current PC which is around 8 years old,with either a new PC or an apple i mac.Apart from the obvious cost difference between the two...i would appreciate it if i could have some feedback on the pro's and cons of them both.

regards

mark

Well, Mac users will almost definitely tell you to go for a mac!

And I am a Mac user.

I got fed up of constant freezes with PC, all the virus issues (mac does have viruses but nowhere near as many) and the thing that really annoyed me was the fact that pc's slow down so much.

I've been using a macbook since 2007, and it has hardly slowed down at all - and this is one without a dedicated graphics card. The newer models will be much faster probably but I'm more than happy with my macbook for years to come!

If you are gamer however don't buy a mac!

I've heard that macs are the choice of graphic designers as well because of the colour rendition etc etc.

id suggest a search, comes up a fair bit and usually ends in a bun fight..

Yes... and I'm not interested in fighting with anybody!:LOL:

Go and try out a mac and see what you think. For me it was definitely more intuitive when I tried one out for the first time. I am sure that you can get a higher spec pc for the same money though.

I'm sure you know by now, you're gonna be opening a big debate, but here's my opinion anyway :)

I'm not a very techy person, but I do consider myself an appreciator of fine things, so it's a no brainer for me, a mac is a fine thing. I've yet to see a pc that looks or operates as beautifully as a mac does. :)

I'd love to switch to a mac (in my dreams, when I win the lottery :LOL: :D ) but the thing that puts me off is the collection of PC-compatible software and back-ups of documents, pictures, work things, etc. I think I'm too PC-ified to ever switch over now :(

Go into an Apple shop, use one for a while. Look at the specs, price, consider your budget and needs.

As for Windows being inherently more buggy/slows down/full of viruses/basically kills you - the majority of problems Windows users experience, are caused by the user.

If your PC was superfast when new, but now runs much slower, it's usually just poor maintenance and other things you've done to it. Which basically, isn't going to be better on a Mac - if you don't look after your computers, regardless of whether it's a mac or PC, it's going to be slow and annoying.

Just in case any fanboys from either side get all worked up about the question, don't! ;)

I'd love to switch to a mac (in my dreams, when I win the lottery :LOL: :D ) but the thing that puts me off is the collection of PC-compatible software and back-ups of documents, pictures, work things, etc. I think I'm too PC-ified to ever switch over now :(

I don't think switching or compatibility with software etc is anywhere near as much of an issue as it used to be- most things are available now in both platforms, helped on no doubt by the popularity of the iPhone and iPad.

Go into an Apple shop, use one for a while. Look at the specs, price, consider your budget and needs.

As for Windows being inherently more buggy/slows down/full of viruses/basically kills you - the majority of problems Windows users experience, are caused by the user.

If your PC was superfast when new, but now runs much slower, it's usually just poor maintenance and other things you've done to it. Which basically, isn't going to be better on a Mac - if you don't look after your computers, regardless of whether it's a mac or PC, it's going to be slow and annoying.

I agree although I haven't really done anything to my mac and its still running fast! Anyway I will shut up :LOL:

I switched to MacBook full time at Xmas 2009. From using a pc for over 15 years. And still do now (I work in IT support in a uni) where I only support pcs. Both have there pros and cons. Personally I prefer apple. And in all honestly. I did install win7 on my MacBook for a bit, only cause work supplied me with cs4, windows platform so I had best of both worlds. Macs do take a bit to get used to. And are more expensive, even with my education discount!

Plus another downside to macs, is that when they go wrong, which ain't that often normally cost a bit to fix, so always get AppleCare if I were you.

I have had less issue with my mac, I used to rebuild my pc every 6 months or so due to slow down and other issues. My mac is as good as it was from day 1. With the h/d nearly full and a external for iTunes plugged in with over 100gb of stuff on. Still super quick. Again though that's just my opinion! And it may be right maybe wrong. Everyone as there personal preference. Best advise is go to apple store, have a play or a bit.

Mac's do of course look very pretty.... I borrowed one once for about 2 weeks, I was very reluctant to give it back.

Personally I'm a pc user (though I work in IT and build my own) But remember you can stick windows 7 on a macbook and dual boot if you do get one... (google: bootcamp)

If it's down to "bang for buck" then I'd say Windows. Mac's are expensive, but they are much more intuitive, in my opinion, but Windows 7 has certainly closed the gap.

If you get a Mac, run Windows 7 on it and if you get a PC, run Mac OS on it :) (keeping the original operating system on it of course.)

I don't think switching or compatibility with software etc is anywhere near as much of an issue as it used to be- most things are available now in both platforms, helped on no doubt by the popularity of the iPhone and iPad.

I have loads of stuff saved on CDs, DVDs and USB keys, though, which I assume I couldn't just plug into a Mac. It would be a headache, I think, to switch over now - no matter how much I'd like to.

That said, I could only afford a whole new set up if I win the lottery ... in which case I could have a Mac suite and a PC suite. Problem solved :D

I have loads of stuff saved on CDs, DVDs and USB keys, though, which I assume I couldn't just plug into a Mac. It would be a headache, I think, to switch over now - no matter how much I'd like to.

That said, I could only afford a whole new set up if I win the lottery ... in which case I could have a Mac suite and a PC suite. Problem solved :D

USB keys will be recognised in a mac as long as the files in question are saved by an application for which mac support exists (for instance photoshop will be no problem)

CD's and DVD's are all the same so shouldn't be a problem at all. Like someone else said, dual boot is a great option, did that myself for a while before realising that I didn't need Windows at all.

I just dont get why people complain about windows and that it freezes ..cant remember when my froze...no viruses either...

mac or pc...its matter of taste....and cash in your pocket...

I would go for PC.

Canon / Nikon
Mac / Windows

Pays your money and takes your choice.

Apple do have a huge advantage with their operating system and software, because they know EXACTLY what the hardware configuration is on every machine (Mac Pro excluded) Microsoft has no idea what components are in your PC and has to make software that will work with a million different set-ups.

As for price comparison, I don't believe they really are that far apart if you do a full like for like comparison.

Oh and as for transferring your documents and stuff from PC to Mac, I sure Apple still do that for you if you buy at an apple store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the above about the standard hardware. I would say that is Apples strategy in general for software too, things work well but only if you do it in their prescribed way (e.g. use iTunes for music). If you want to do something different then you usually can, but it often involves more faffing about (e.g. follow guides to get macports installed then set up gtkpod).

That is a fairly fundamental difference between the two systems and understanding it will help you decide if macs are for you or not. If you are not technical but happy to be told and learn how to do things then you'll get on fine with a mac, probably be much happier. If you want the system to function how you want rather than learning a new way of working then you may find it a difficult environment to get used to unless you have the technical ability to modify it yourself.

Ive got both. My iMac is slower than a slow thing and refuses to work most of the time. My PC is crap, and Ive just had to rebuild it AGAIN, after a year and spending over £1400. Ive reinstalled windows 5 times in the last 2 weeks.

People who say macs dont slow down are lying. They do. Mine is about 5 years old, 4GB RAM and takes about 2 minutes to load anything. It wont connect to the web either wirelessley or wired and then will suddenly work fine and then go again. You cant upgrade them beyond a point and there is still some software that wont work.

PC's are a pain in the ass, but can be upgraded and are generally easier to work on.

I "was" a PC user, I purchased a MacBook pro i7 about a year ago, and have never looked back, it's just so much quicker, easier to use, and looks better :) ive had little to no problems, I did initially have windows running on it too, but never really used it, so deleted it about a month back!

If you have the money, and you like the way they operate and look, buy one, you won't look back!

Lots of PC users don't like them because you cant mess about with them as much, and.... They just don't want to admit they are not as good :)

ziggy©;3730977 said:
Another rant littered with inaccuracies written by someone who doesn't use macs, the usual source of Apple complaints. Call me old fashioned but I like to listen to people who know what they're talking about and have some experience :shrug:

e.g.
baffling experience with the memory of one of my office mate's mac's swallowing her thesis manuscript
Yes because computers randomly swallow documents all the time, it's never anything to do with the user.

not based on their own technology, but by the technology of freeBSD
It's based on Nextstep which was an Unix system in the 80s from Next who Apple then brought. There may be some BSD elements in there (as with most unix these days), but it's a bit like saying Windows 7 isn't Microsoft technology because they used a BSD network stack in Windows 3.1.

So out of interest, has anyone here brought a Mac and decided they didn't like it then gone back to Windows? Because those are the experiences that would be worth hearing.

Last edited:
working in an IT support environment with 2 floors of XP and 7 machines and 1 floor of macs i can say that we get just as many support requests from the mac users as the windows users.

personally im a big windows 7 fan, it's easily the best OS that microsoft have put out. my home desktop hasnt needed any maintenance since it was built about a year ago (i wouldnt want it to need any, i NEED it operational for photo work otherwise i lose money). OSX just doesnt do it for me personally.

both platforms have their quirks and issues, i think the playing field has levelled out imensely over the last 2 years. more so now there more signs of malware on OSX.

otherwise the hardware is the same, both platforms are intel based so you can expect similar performance on same spec machines. that said some of apples hardware is impressive, mac pros are awesome (albeit massively priced) although i dont see why they spec those aweful glossy screens as standard (again a personal point) and why do they make the MBP wrist rest edges so sharp.. although PC's dont need to be ugly these days, gone are the days of beige plastic cases. there are some really nice clean, sleek aluminium cases around now.

anyway, i waffle.. the point is the only real difference is the layout of the OS. get yourself to an apple store to try a mac and PC world or somewhere to try windows 7, whichever you prefer go for :)

Last edited:
It depends on what your after. If your into doing lots of Graphics Design or Video Editing then yeah get a mac. The mac is geared up for this, it's good at doing this which is why it's almost a de-facto standard in the industry.

If it's gaming or more general purpose then get a PC. Gamers like complete control over their hardware choice, cost and setup. Apple don't allow which is why the Gaming market as such will always be PC based as much as a car entuiast would never buy a car where you couldn't open the bonnet.

You can buy a MAC for this however your choice of software is more limited and costs more. By all means especially after the apple tax often negate the benefits.

I've been using a macbook since 2007, and it has hardly slowed down at all - and this is one without a dedicated graphics card. The newer models will be much faster probably but I'm more than happy with my macbook for years to come!

Buy a PC that costs around the same amount of money as a Macbook Pro and you will find it will hardly slow down at all. A lot of people who purchase macs while buying into the FUD apple kicks out have brought an entry level PC, filled it with cheap poorly coded applications then wonder why it slows down.

When you charge £199 for a batch or ram that has a retail cost of £60 alarm bells ring. The perceived "Macs Don't crash" attitude is not only complete tosh but down the the fact Apple only make drivers for a limited approved range of hardware and charge you a premium for this. If Microsoft stipulated the hardware down to a small range of cards and only approved drivers for them then PCs would hardly crash too.

You will also find that the amount of Viruses that come out on Macs is directionlly proportional to the market share. The same way the amount of viruses and spyware someone get's is almost proportional to their IT experience. If mac were to get 30% market share overnight I think you will find the amount of viruses would increase 10 fold in the first week alone.

Last edited:
So out of interest, has anyone here brought a Mac and decided they didn't like it then gone back to Windows? Because those are the experiences that would be worth hearing.

A guy I work with has a Mac, likes it enough, but doesn't think the OS adds enough goodness to justify the price premium. So, his next laptop will be a PC. (sorry it's a bit of a 'bloke down the pub' anecdote)

Windows 7 is pretty good. Certainly not the dog that vista was.

It depends on what your after. If your into doing lots of Graphics Design or Video Editing then yeah get a mac. The mac is geared up for this, it's good at doing this which is why it's almost a de-facto standard in the industry.

why? 95% (picked out of the air) of sofware is available cross platforms. and like said the hardware is the same.

being the industry standard in my opinion is a legacy thing (same as more admin'y roles use windows). ive said many times before that i could replace all of the macs upstairs with similar spec windows 7 boxes they wouldnt notice the difference apart from a slight layout change (we actually already replaced 20 or so more admin based but still illustrator using machines with higher end dell laptops and they work very well). however you'd lose design staff overnight, mostly because they "hate" windows (daft reason i know).

if its video editing then sure a mac pro with twin xeons is probably a good idea but otherwise there is no reason why a mac is "better".

not a rant but my opinion as an IT professional for 12 years and working with macs for 5.

Last edited:
Neil is right. Get to an Apple store and see what you think. ( don't take your credit card though). and see what you think. The OS is a bit different to Windows, but is really intuitive. Not that windows needs you to have a PhD.

If you go for an iMac you can't do much in the way of upgrades, but then do you need to. With my iMac i upgraded the RAM to 8Gb and that's about it. It has a 1Tb drive but I run a couple of Firewire 800 drives for extra capacity, they sit nicely out of sight behind the machine.

The new Mac's have a Thuderbolt port which give faster collectivity than USB 3. Problem is, as with all new technology there is not a lot of accessories available yet for this yet.But they do have Firewire and USB ports, so you can use your existing external drives if you need to.

The new Mac's have a Thuderbolt port which give faster collectivity than USB 3. Problem is, as with all new technology there is not a lot of accessories available yet for this yet.But they do have Firewire and USB ports, so you can use your existing external drives if you need to.

i mentioned in the USB3 thread i read yesterday that HP are snubbing thunderbolt at the moment due to the lack of devices.. im sure that'll change though.

mattyb said:

Maybe you should read my posts. I went from a pc to an intel iMac back to a pc. Neither are perfect, but the pc is easier to fix.

Last edited:
Either will work fine for ohotography needs or anything else. I have just switched to an iMac and love it but would have no problem going back to a windows based computer. Work out what you want, what you can afford and perhaps visit an apple store to have a play; you may have trouble getting a sensible answer from the internet on this question!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as an Apple pro is that if you live near an Apple shop if you have any problems it is very easy to book an appointment and get things sorted. I had to get the top case of my MacBook replaced, it was turned round in under an hour. My girlfriend needs to get her HP laptop fixed and has spent an hour getting passed between departs at HP's call centre to then be told they can't do anything until she send's them proof of purchase, even though the laptop was bought direct from HP.

Now these might be best and worst case scenarios, but to me the ability to book an appointment with someone in a real shop beats call centres and sending your computer away any day.

Everything else is down to personal preference, if you are speccing hardware like for like the price difference isn't as much as you would think (not just talking headline processor numbers) it is just that there are lower spec PCs available to the lead in price is lower.

true, support is a bit of a minefield.

a lot of people say to get applecare for macs when you buy them but most neglect to upgrade the support on a cheap windows machine. in my opinion the dell upgraded support is great and is worth the money in the same way that applecare would be.

being the industry standard in my opinion is a legacy thing (same as more admin'y roles use windows). ive said many times before that i could replace all of the macs upstairs with similar spec windows 7 boxes they wouldnt notice the difference apart from a slight layout change (we actually already replaced 20 or so more admin based but still illustrator using machines with higher end dell laptops and they work very well). however you'd lose design staff overnight, mostly because they "hate" windows (daft reason i know).

Im aware of that and agree with you but industry standard won't be going away anytime soon ;) Photoshop for example is Industry Standard which is another reason it comes with a high price tag. A lot of people use 3DSMax for 3D work and AutoCad for Drawings. Their are a dozen cheaper alternatives but going against the grain can be costly especially when receiving files in different formats. Unless theirs an accepted "open" standard as in the case of say PDF then it's not going anywhere. Others will (and have) argue that PDF is woefully poor and out of date but it causes chaos when company's get attachments and have to install 100 pieces of software to get things to work. It's also the reason many company's are stuck using XP what works, works.

We use Adobe Production Premium here at the office and all the PCs here are windows. Their was a Mac that had CS4 but it was moved onto a separate machine for rendering but I must say when I did use the Adobe suite it seemed to run better than my windows box with higher spec hardware. Other software however didn't and eventually it got donated to the bosses daughter due to lack of use.

I speak with a lot of internal company's, marketing, graphics design companies alike and their entire suites for these things are based on Macs. Most of these are die hard mac fans but some aren't and they use windows outside of work but all their profesisonal stuff they can't fault their work PCs.

Tit for Tat really. Personally I agree with you and as I stated I would rather put a shedload of cash into a Decent PC with decent hardware and give apple £100 for providing a £40 set of Crucual RAM for doing nothing other than being Apple.

We only have one copy of CS4 the rest are CS5 :LOL:

We could upgrade the CS4 one but seeing as it's a general purpose use PC the company can't justify it yet.

Back