Ptarmigan

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
Went looking for these elusive guys over the weekend. Managed to find a small flock. Wonderful to watch, and fairly tolerant of my presence.

Meet Mrs Ptarmigan

ptarmigan1.jpg

Not the best pic, but a half decent starting point.

They are found 3000ft above sea level. That's the only clue to location I'll give you!

Gerald

Lovely image Taxi of a bird that can be very elusive. I spent a few days up in the hills recently filming them and that was without too much snow and they were still hard to find!!

Arron

Nice shot (y)
not the easiest is it? white on white.

(For your next challenge, can I suggest you try a black cat in a coal cellar? :D)

Lovely image Taxi of a bird that can be very elusive. I spent a few days up in the hills recently filming them and that was without too much snow and they were still hard to find!!

Arron

Hi Arron. They can be tricky to find, but well worth the effort. Hope you had plenty of luck finding them.

Not bad at all Gerald, only ones i have seen were in Iceland, will have to give you a bell if im ever up near Inverness ;)

Thanks Ian.

Im not likely to find many in Hampshire then :D

Little below the snow line there, I'm affraid :LOL:

Very hard bird to get a pic of in the snow and with their winter feathers on..Maybe you need to give me a better clie where to get these.

Ok here's another clue. North of Hadrians Wall.

Nice shot (y)
not the easiest is it? white on white.

(For your next challenge, can I suggest you try a black cat in a coal cellar? :D)

Thanks Cobra. Not very easy at all. I'll keep the black cat suggection in mind :LOL:

Wish I'd seen this yesterday as Ptarmigan was the answer to a Grauniad crossword clue :)

Very nice shot! Never seen one of these before! You've managed the whites really nicely!

Very nice it's one on my to do list
Regards
Lost

They make a neat sound too when calling each other
Itching to get up and see these in the wild again.
Nice capture

Wish I'd seen this yesterday as Ptarmigan was the answer to a Grauniad crossword clue :)

Very nice shot! Never seen one of these before! You've managed the whites really nicely!

Thanks Dark Star. Sorry could not hope you out with the crossword :LOL:

very nice

Thanks Dreamer.

Very nice it's one on my to do list
Regards
Lost

Thanks Lost. Definetely one worth doing.

They make a neat sound too when calling each other
Itching to get up and see these in the wild again.
Nice capture

Thanks getnoticed. They make a great sound when calling to each other, great to listen to. Well worth the effort of going to see.Hope you do manage to see them again.

:clap: That's a very nice shot mate.
Excellent work with the tricky exposure too.

Anthony

Thanks Busby, very tricky and struggling for light all day.

One of my favourite birds, I remember 16 years ago photographing these in the upper Corries, Really strange noises coming from the rocks, Brings back memories, Well done

They to make a very strange noise indeed. Nice to hear as they communicate and thanks for the comments.

That's a cracker and one I fancy a crack at sometime... Well worth the effort (and I know it was an effort!)

Cheers grumpybadger.

The walking in for these birds can be quite challenging, but worth the effort if you can find them.

Back