weekly Puckers 2013 52 thread: Week 30: step(s) & Week 31: Mono added

Great colours and very sharp, like the depth of field. Well executed.

Week 8: Past Their Time

My partner said I think you need to throw these flowers out on Saturday morning and my reply was ' I'm waiting to see what this weeks theme is first in-case I can use them' about an hour later and I see the theme as 'time' so my first thought was my tulips being past theirs!

Couldn't decide which background I preferred so put them together :)

Past Their Time. by puckers52, on Flickr

Last edited:
My vote would go to #1 the black background, the contrast between it and the flower works better I feel.
Its bang on theme, you've captured the detail of the dying/dead flower beautifully. In fact it still has a lot going for it even though the flower is past its best.
Oh and its week 8 ;)

Hi Lisa. I prefer no.1 on the darker background. Good detail and focus, nice colour contrast and angle. Original thought to the topic. Nicely done!

Hi Lisa, I like your interpretation of the theme and as above, much prefer the dark background as it makes the subject stand out more.

My vote would go to #1 the black background, the contrast between it and the flower works better I feel.
Its bang on theme, you've captured the detail of the dying/dead flower beautifully. In fact it still has a lot going for it even though the flower is past its best.
Oh and its week 8 ;)

Hi Lisa. I prefer no.1 on the darker background. Good detail and focus, nice colour contrast and angle. Original thought to the topic. Nicely done!

Hi Lisa, I like your interpretation of the theme and as above, much prefer the dark background as it makes the subject stand out more.

Thank you :) I too prefer the black background i think but there was something about the other i liked, think its more about the flower than background :thinking:

Hi Lisa

seeing your Time shot has made me realise I also have some flowers getting past their best but never occured to me to use them ...DOH !

Black bg version for me,contrasts well withthe colors in the flower , great detail in the staemen as well.. (y) Cropped a tad to close for me..bit more room to the top maybe

I too would go with the dark background. I don't like the way the stem is cropped on the other. Nice shot reminds me I need a macro lens.

Dark background here too, it makes the colours that much more vivid, nice work again (y)

Dark background for me also, beautiful shot and nice idea.

Really nice idea with the black and the white backgrounds, I'm not going to pick which I like best, as I think they work best together.

Great colours and detail in the flowers, and I think the black one side and white the other helps to bring out different details in each.

Teeny tiny niggle, the stem of the white one has been chopped through whereas the left one starts bang on in the corner. But that's it!

Playful and a fun idea, great execution too. Not sure about the colours of the second however. Also prefer black background on time :)

Last edited:
black BG for me on the white BG the flower seems to lose some definition

Number 1 for me as well, seems to add a depth and definition not quite found in #2.

Very nicely taken and composed. :clap:

Time......Choices choices, I think the first needs a little more space for a black background the second isn't really big enough to see as they are together the first dominates.

I think the second for me just.

(y)

Thank you everyone :)

All comments noted, no re-shoots to be done as they went straight in the bin after!

Interesting image there - good control of the highlights keeping the texture to the garlic skin. Bizarre choice of objects but I think that strengthens the juxtaposition of them.

Wonder if a greater DOF would have worked, getting the rear earphone as sharp as the front one?

But it's certainly made me have a good look and a think this morning (y)

Thank you for the comments :)

I do have some where the other earphone is in focus but i preferred it oof. Also have the same pic but with an apple, didn't work as well to me.

Cracking idea. Well composed and I quite like the high key lighting. Not so keen on the shadows and I'd like th see the blacks a tad darker.

Cheers.

really like the juxtaposition pic not sure its a juxtaposition but then i am not really sure what the word means and judging by everyones pics not many people do either but a nice idea nicely executed :clap:

Hi Lisa

had to giggle when I saw that image for juxtaposition.....you've done well with the lighting to keep the detail in the garlic...shadow doesn't niggle me (y) I'm not sure but from a theme point of view the Apple may have worked even better :thinking:

I like this Lisa, particularly the high key effect.
You've done well holding the detail in the whites.
I feel the shadow is a little distracting but no biggie. I think its a little tenuous to linking to the theme, maybe an apple as Lynne says would have nailed it on a bit. But then as Alan mentioned above its quite a confusing theme :thinking:
Still good work though (y) Iain

Lisa, really liked this one; my only criticism would be to try to get the rear headphone bud in focus.

Thanks all, hopefully when i have time ill post up the apple photo and one of above but with both earphones in focus.

Letter im not gonna get to post till over the weekend, I have a will do shot took just not sorted yet :bonk:

Certainly a fine contrast Lisa. Good concept and well executed.

Week 11:Electric

When i told my partner the theme for this week he replied with ive got something which might help you. After a visit to his dads this morning he came home with a lighting ball, the kids was so excited and i got my picture for this week! I liked a b&w version at first but felt colour had more punch. Ive got a number of different shots with fingers and the ball on its own, great fun!

Lighting was difficult, i wanted the 'lighting' to be sharp but i needed the light for little ones face. I ended up with this.

If I had a robot friend, he or she would be electric. by puckers52, on Flickr

you have done an excellent job on what must be a very difficult thing to take a pic of, the face adds a nice touch :clap:

I like the PP for letter the in focus bit of the writing really stands out nice take on the theme :clap:

you have done an excellent job on what must be a very difficult thing to take a pic of, the face adds a nice touch :clap:

I like the PP for letter the in focus bit of the writing really stands out nice take on the theme :clap:

Thank you, i must give all credit to my partner who like i said owns the thing and thought of it but i was trying for a finger and he came up with the idea of doing it with a face. Why cant i think of these things myself :thinking: :bonk:

Back