Puffins- have i missed the boat!

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I fancy photographing some puffins, particularly with sand eels in their beaks. I cannot plan a trip until late July, is this a bit late to get them at their best?
Also where is the best location? I live in Gosport, Hampshire so I am aware that I need to travel a considerable distance. I think my best options are either a trip to Skomer or RSPB Bempton. I went to Bempton last year and got good photographs of the Gannets and a close fly past of a very obliging albatross but the puffins all seemed to be tucked away low down.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I suspect that late July will be too late as the parents stop feeding the young by then and expect them to go out in the world. I am no expert but found Puffins at Flamborough Head last year (mid June) but almost none at Bempton to photograph. This year I found none at South Stacks but from what I hear Skomer should be very good. There is also plenty more subjects to photograph in the North East or Pembroke.

Dave

I photographed puffins late June a couple of years back at Bempton but think late July is gonna be too late.

Edited to add Yorkshire wildlife trust suggest up to mid July.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I suspected that late July would be a bit too late. I often get these flashes of inspiration when I am bored, Maybe I should sit down with a cuppa until they wear off! Forward planning has never been my strong point but next year - who knows!

Skomer is great although as others have said, late July probably too late. I went in June last year no it was ideal.
of course with Skomer you also have to factor the cost of the boat trip to get you there and back (but it’s worth it - £44 per adult in May/June this year).

Last edited:
Back