Puffins near poole

Edit My Images
Yes
What are the chances of seeing puffins near poole in August. I think there is only one or 2 places they may be spotted from what I have read. But just wondering if anyone had some better knowledge of the area.

Cheers
Mark

August is getting late, May June and July are the peak and the south coast only really seas the odd bird passing through as they migrate back out to sea from the North Sea. The nearest place will be either Lundy on the North Devon Coast (great place but a 2 hour boat ride each way and Puffins are limited to one cove in the main) or Skomer in Pembrokeshire is the place down this end of the world..
It's a few hours drive but you'll have Short Eared and little Owls to view if the Puffins have all moved back out to sea.
You may be better off going after the Red Squirrels if you're based in Dorset. Or drive up to the Somerset Levels for a variety of Birds, Corfe Castle, Portland Bill, Chedder and Glastonbury for Landscapes.

Apparently there is a place called dancing ledge.
We are only down there for a week. Its more of a family holiday. I thought it may be the end of season for them.
I've planned a day on brownsea island. Poole harbour may have a few unexpected visitors sometimes.

Oh well we will see. It a worth a boat trip out there will keep everyone entertained hopefully
:D:D

I believe there are (or were) a few puffins at Dancing Ledge but possibly not easy to see. However I think you'll be too late in the year anyway. I think the place gets mobbed now (by humans, that is) so I don't know if that has had an impact on the birds in general. My partner and I used to go walking there regularly many years ago and it was always pretty quiet. Unfortunately we weren't birdwatchers back then.............

Edited to say Mark beat me to it - posted while I was typing.

Last edited:
Back