Purchsed a Macbook Air

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
hey guys

My new camera nikon d3300 will be with me soon, ive purchased a macbook air for editing etc

Someone told me if i want to post my photos on facebook etc then id have tk edit the raw files.

They advised me i would get a disc for this with my camera.

However Macs dont have a disc incert.

Is there other ways of editing the cameras raw photos?

Reason i am asking is because i havent yet received the camera

If you do get a disc, then an external CD / DVD drive works very well.

I've a Samsung drive and it works very well.

If you do get a disc, then an external CD / DVD drive works very well.

I've a Samsung drive and it works very well.

Ditto, cheap and simple external drive works very well and worth having for the sake of a few quid.

Arrr thanks guys, ive been advised to buy a usb external hard drive to save all my photos on also, i didnt realise you could get a cd/dvd hard drive

Another option is to download the software via a website. That's how I've installed Lightroom the last few times. I have an apple super drive (what they call an external CD/DVD drive) and I can count on one finger the number of times I've used it. There is a reason why apple think there is no need to include a cd drive with their computers now.

i didnt realise you could get a cd/dvd hard drive

They are relics of the noughties, unless you have a real need I wouldn't bother.

A portable external HD on the other hand will be well worth it for an Air.

Great guys, i was advised to get lightroom etc

Will any external hard drive do the job for saving photos on to?

It's well worth having an external DVD drive, for those moments and places where internet isn't available or fast enough & you would like to be entertained through your 'puter. They're around £20 - less than an Apple dongle - so represent good value too.

Great guys, i was advised to get lightroom etc

Will any external hard drive do the job for saving photos on to?

You will want a portable HD as opposed to a desk top external HD for two reasons. 1) you won't need to plug it into a power source a 2) they tend to be more robust, ideally you would want a solid state one as they are difficult to break.

I'm afraid to say that I found Lightroom a real pain on my 13" Macbook Air as the screen resolution isn't great you spend as much time flipping the panels in and out as you do viewing or manipulating the image, that's why Photos with some of the plugins you can get for it might be a better choice initially? YMMV of course.

Or just save your video files to a USB pen drive/hdd so you don't need to carry a selection of DVDs with you too.

Exactly. Can't remember the last time I needed to use an optical disc, in fact I've just junked the old CD wallets I found in the attic full of CDs (copies of my originals) that I used in my car, couldn't believe how bulky they were. Can't remember the last time I switched on the blu ray player either. But still, it depends on what media you consume I guess.

FYI, whomever told you that you need to edit the RAW photos to post them on Facebook is wrong.

By default the Camera will not even save RAW images, it will process them and save as JPEGs which can be uploaded to Facebook (and most other mediums) without the need for editing.

Sure, you can switch to RAW + JPEG mode on the Camera and make a conscious choice to edit the images (most people do) but its not a requirements if you are happy with how the Camera processes them.

Unsure if the Macbook Air has an SD card slot but if not, use the supplied USB cable to get them onto the Air.

thanks guys really really helpful, what external harddrives could I buy that will save the photos etc I don't want a mega expensive one but one that will do the job.

Brill thanks alot ill have a gander, as always superb help from this forum

Software on disc tends to be out of date before you even buy the item it is for. Get the most up to date version from the manufacturer's web site.

The built-in Photos app supports RAW, so you don't need anything else to get started.

It's well worth having an external DVD drive, for those moments and places where internet isn't available or fast enough & you would like to be entertained through your 'puter. They're around £20 - less than an Apple dongle - so represent good value too.

I agree. They're not expensive and come in handy for reinstalling stuff when the on board optical drive fails...which they do. :mad:

Cart before the horse?

Your new camera will save your photos as jpegs which you can upload direct to Facebook. Don't worry about RAW for the moment and try to get to grips with your new camera first. Loads of info on the forum or Google.

Last edited:
Back