Pw and quadra sync speeds

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all
I'm looking at getting a set of elinchrom ranger quadras, but one of the mains things i want to be able to do is get my shutter speed up.
I have done a fair bit of reading some saying that with a canon it's not possible others claiming they are achieving up to 2000th of a second.
I have the pw flex system just curious if any of you in the know can confirm this one way or the other.

Thanks in advance :)

You can use the tail-hypersync method that works up to max shutter speed, and fine tune it with the PW Flex triggers. Only with the Quadra S-head option, not A-heads, and Canon 7D is one of the more suitable cameras.

It's not a perfect solution by any means, but if you know how it works and understand the limitations, and take appropriate measures to work around them, results can be surprisingly good.

Thanks for the input, I use 5ds guess I should have said, does that have a bearing on your answer and also can I ask if this is something you have personally done?

Thanks for the input, I use 5ds guess I should have said, does that have a bearing on your answer and also can I ask if this is something you have personally done?

Just trying to think if I've actually done it with that combo, and I think not. Only the A-head (and that's useless, too fast) and various other flashes, but not the Quadra S-head that I didn't have then. I was testing all sorts of stuff at the time, but I know the S-heads work and there are plenty of examples about.

The keys to tail-hypersync are a suitable trigger, and the PW Flex is the best at this, a flash with a long duration, and a fast-moving shutter. The camera's X-sync speed is a reasonable guide to this, and unfortunately the Canon 5D, all variants, are relatively sluggish. This emphasises the brightness fall-off down up the frame.

That was my fear all the reading I've done suggests canon ff struggle to achieve the same speeds the nikons do. Though a few have said with tweaks to the wizards they have got to 2000th with no clipping. S heads only.

Thanks again for your reply

That was my fear all the reading I've done suggests canon ff struggle to achieve the same speeds the nikons do. Though a few have said with tweaks to the wizards they have got to 2000th with no clipping. S heads only.

Thanks again for your reply

I read references to 'clipping' about tail-hypersync, but the term is either being incorrectly used or people are not doing it properly.

Clipping is the intervention of the shutter during the exposure, but this cannot happen if the flash is already firing when the shutter opens, as it should be. Then there cannot be any clipping, but there is of course a darkening up the frame as the flash pulse fades in brightness (which is maybe what is being referred to) but if anything this is slightly reduced at fastest shutter speeds.

The problem with slower-moving shutters is that they're open longer, so capture more of the fading tail of brightness, resulting in greater fall-off and more darkening at the top of the frame. The technique still works, but you have to work harder at the workarounds.

That makes sense as to why only the s heads will work. But it's wether the pocket wizard utility will allow me to compensate.

Hi mike
Nikon owners seem to have most success canon reports seem to be a mixed bag.
Big lay out if you can't do what you want with the lights. Adding to this I'm curious if the yn622c triggers are more successful. The more I read about the trail sync the more I think it must be doable I'm just looking for that reassurance from some one actually doing it.

Hi mike
Nikon owners seem to have most success canon reports seem to be a mixed bag.
Big lay out if you can't do what you want with the lights. Adding to this I'm curious if the yn622c triggers are more successful. The more I read about the trail sync the more I think it must be doable I'm just looking for that reassurance from some one actually doing it.

YN622 will do tail-hypersync, but there's no adjustment option of the exact timing moment. That's the PW's advantage, so you can optimise it and for example, set it for max brightness (early timing) or most even coverage (later timing) though these things also vary with the flash power setting.

Best idea is probably to hire a Quadra from The Flash Centre. I think they then give some money back off a purchase.

That's an option worth considering that I hadn't thought of

Thanks mike just looked up the 5d I must update my camera bag. Looks like with minimal tweaking and s heads what I'm looking to do could be achieved if I add the st4 to my kit. A very helpful source I can't believe I hadn't found it b4. It's says ranger s heads rx do you think this info will apply to the quadras.

Rangers and Ranger Quadras are completely different. I would guess that with the S-heads they'd be kinda similar in terms of flash duration but there will be differences for sure and things will change according to which power pack is used and power output set.

Back