'Q' strap

There have been some failures with the Q strap fasteners.

I use a Black Rapid and it has been worth every penny.

Heather

I'd used one for quite a while but, unfortunately, I'm one of those individuals that had an expensive failure of the carbiner :crying:

Have now moved to a carryspeed fs pro and think the connection to the camera is far more secure. That said, as with any of these straps, I'd now recommend adding in a secondary connection for security.

Anyone used one? Are they worth the investment? :thinking:

They are what £20? Hardly an investment :D

I have the fast and secure version, it works fine but I was a bit unsure of the build quality of it and after reading a few horror stories on here switched to a Black Rapid RS7 which I am a lot happier with.

They are what £20? Hardly an investment :D

I have the fast and secure version, it works fine but I was a bit unsure of the build quality of it and after reading a few horror stories on here switched to a Black Rapid RS7 which I am a lot happier with.

'Not much of an investment' admittedly! I suppose for £20, as you say the build quality could be classed as suspect? I have looked at the BR straps and the Joby ones and am unable to decide which one to chose.

I've got 2 of the 'Q' sling straps and a twin strap harness and never had a moments problem with any of them. I check the carabiners and the plates regularly but I carry a 5D3 and Sigma 150-500 OS on one and a 7D with Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII on the other or both on the twin harness with no problem.

Used a Q-Strap with the 'L' plate now for a good time and can't fault it, there have been a couple of reported failures for whatever reason but I can't fault it and I doubt every satisfied user has bothered to record the fact.

I like mine and not had any problems - admittedly I have a fairly small and lightweight SLR ... I don't know that I would trust it with something heavy, but apparently people do without trouble.

I have 2 blackrapid RS-Sport straps and the womans one
Ive had no problems one used the original connector and the other one the T1
They are great
Also the customer services are great

I used to use a Q Strap and had an issue with the carabiner opening when it wasn't locked. So my suggestion is to be RELIGIOUS about locking the carabiner. I guess that applies to not just the Q strap but others too.

I now use an Op-tech strap when carrying one camera but I don't like their dual harness so still using the Q Strap dual but I now lock and check the carabiner each time.

I personally do not like the Q-strap, it looks and feels like it is made from cheap materials

The Q-strap I had didn't even make it onto my camera as it was defective straight out of the packaging.

As for getting my money back? it was a right royal PITA!

If you are looking for this kind of camera strap then pay the extra and get something quality like a Black Rapid

I have a Q Srap and a Op tech strap. My preference is Op tech.

Black rapid. I don't see the point in saving £30 but risking £1000'S

Had two q straps old style and new (much cheaper made) style and both the caribiners failed fortunately no other kit damage certainly wouldn't touch another!

I cannot believe that anyone would hang their camera gear from a 20 quid strap?! :nono:

I cannot believe that anyone would hang their camera gear from a 20 quid strap?! :nono:

Why not?
What is it about the cost that dictates the effectiveness?
Proof of the pudding is in the eating and for me it works and works well.
Do you have any idea of the number of far eastern products that you will be using at inflated prices because they have been imported and re-branded by others?

I've just changed from Q-strap to Op/tech. Both 20 quid straps. Different league.

I have to agree.

I've just changed from Q-strap to Op/tech. Both 20 quid straps. Different league.

I have to agree.

I use a double quickstrap, but with the Black Rapid camera connector as I don't like the L plates. I like the RS-Sport so may pick one of those up, but not in a rush.

Last edited:
Using this forum as a guide, I would estimate that there are more dissatisfied purchasers of the Nikon D600/D800 than the Q-Strap.

I use a Q Strap and L plate and hang my a65 + sigma 150-500mm off it every day, never had an issue

Les (y)

Can I ask: Is the 'Q' strap the same as the 'GT Max' straps you see on Amazon?

If not, do you know if one is any better designed than the other :?:

Had two q straps old style and new (much cheaper made) style and both the caribiners failed fortunately no other kit damage certainly wouldn't touch another!

Mmmm, that carabiner on the Q-Strap does look like it might not last too long. I recently bought a Q-Strap/GT Max Strap and after reading the other posts made me wonder if I should ditch it and go and get an Op-Tech or maybe even a Black Rapid.

But then it got me thinking...

So I went to the loft and got out my strap collection (that sounds bad doesn't it! :confused: !)

Anyway, I dug out a Trekking harness (similar to this) that I bought just over a year ago, mainly for when I am carrying around a camera with a heavy lens and will be doing a lot of walking (motorsport, wildlife etc.). This harness comes with x3 'Op-Tech style' connectors (x2 for the SLR plus a spare one for a compact camera or similar).

So I removed the spare one, took apart the Q Strap and slid on the new connector strap. Put everything back together again and Voila - I now own a Q-Op-Trek... (y):geek:

And I can still quickly hook up the SLR to the Trekking harness as well.

If it helps, Op-Tech do sell spare pairs of straps (see here @Amazon) so if anyone wants to do something similar, it would cost less than buying a whole new sling system.

Having said that, the stitching on the Q-Strap is not great either, but could be reinforced by someone with some decent thread and a sewing machine. Other than that I reckon it does the job just fine.

Cheap-skate? Me? Pah :cautious:

How are people breaking the carabiner on the Q-strap, are you always opening/closing them? Once the connector is on I haven't touched it again. My oldest Q-strap has got to be getting on for two years old and has carried 1D3, 1Ds2 and 7D bodies with Canon 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and Sigma 150-500 lenses all day long at events. There is marking on the carabiner, and I'd be lying if I didn't always check before use (I'd do that with any strap tbh), but it's still ok. As I've had it for a while though I have been thinking of treating myself to a new strap. I do like the Black Rapid Sport, but not a fan of how they grabbed the patent and put others like Luma out of the market. So looking at other options...

How are people breaking the carabiner on the Q-strap, are you always opening/closing them? Once the connector is on I haven't touched it again. My oldest Q-strap has got to be getting on for two years old and has carried 1D3, 1Ds2 and 7D bodies with Canon 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and Sigma 150-500 lenses all day long at events. There is marking on the carabiner, and I'd be lying if I didn't always check before use (I'd do that with any strap tbh), but it's still ok. As I've had it for a while though I have been thinking of treating myself to a new strap. I do like the Black Rapid Sport, but not a fan of how they grabbed the patent and put others like Luma out of the market. So looking at other options...

The pin that forms the hinge on the gate dropped out, second strap was 5 days old, cheaply made junk.

The pin that forms the hinge on the gate dropped out, second strap was 5 days old, cheaply made junk.

Yep, I can see what your saying Alex and that could be a problem as well.
My concern though was how the carabiner is attached to the buckle through which the strap slides. The whole camera and lens combo is hanging on that one 5mm dia piece of steel which is being flexed all of the time as the camera moves around. I suppose you could always put a couple of cable-ties around the carabiner and buckle to provide some insurance, but it's a bit makeshift.

I have the black rapid for women but am looking to sell it and replace it with the curve strap as I prefer the clip on the back of the curve, whereas the women's strap has more of a quick release length adjustment.

Back