QHD UltraSharp Monitor & Graphics Card

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to take delivery of a Dell UltraSharp QHD monitor (UP2716D) and I'm keen to get the best out it.

The PC baseboard has on-board graphics,with a modest Nvidia HD2000 chip-set and a
hdmi connector. The CPU is an Intel i3, with 8GB RAM.

Will this be sufficient to get the best performance from the monitor, or would I be better of getting a new video card?

The PC is used for LR and Photoshop etc. no gaming, so I don't need a high end graphics card, but I wonder if £100 spent on a graphics card would be a good buy?

Is there any advantage in using a Display Port connection compared to HDMI?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

The intel hd2000 whilst showing its age is fine for 2d applications and will work fine with Lightroom and photoshop.

You would need to use display port or hdmi to get the 1440p. Is there an advantage to using DisplayPort? Yes but not for what you will be doing so use either.

Now if it were my money I'd spend that £100 on an nvidia 1050 :D

Thanks Mark that's very helpful information. I will try the monitor with the on-board graphics first and if necessary install an Nvidia 1050 graphics card later.

I have to wait a few weeks , it's a Christmas present for my wife - yes she really does want a new screen!

Chris

I would be wary of the GTX 1050 at the moment as Nvidia are having a bad time with the only drivers that support it. They've managed to break Folding@Home and, apparently, all versions of PSE except the latest v15 with the 275.xx & 276.xx drivers and the 1050 range isn't supported on anything earlier. I have a GTX 1050 Ti that has to stay in its box until Nvidia sorts out its mess. :mad:

Thanks for the heads-up re the NVidia driver issues Jonathan. On paper, it seems that I may be ok with the on-board graphics, if this proves not to be the case I'll look deeper into the complex world of graphics cards.

Thanks,

Chris

I would be wary of the GTX 1050 at the moment as Nvidia are having a bad time with the only drivers that support it. They've managed to break Folding@Home and, apparently, all versions of PSE except the latest v15 with the 275.xx & 276.xx drivers and the 1050 range isn't supported on anything earlier. I have a GTX 1050 Ti that has to stay in its box until Nvidia sorts out its mess. :mad:
They've broken my 780ti w10 driver too, driver stops responding very regularly. Seems like a common complaint from nvidia users right now including some of the newer 10 series models.

Would these driver issues make AMD Radeon a better choice for a graphics card?

Chris

Chris
You could get a 460 but AMD have even more problems. Personally I haven't heard of any issues with a 1050 and it's not like you'll be buying a broken product. Try the on board first and then see what takes your fancy in the new year sales.

Chris
I have an AMD R7 graphics card and the last driver update stopped my wireless card from working!
I had to uninstall the update and roll back to an earlier driver.

When/should I get this monitor my concern was whether my graphics had the right ports.

It is a Geforce GT610 and has "
Support for HDMI including GPU accelerated Blu-ray 3D support, x.v.Color, HDMI Deep Color, and 7.1 digital surround sound."

Just moot if 'support' means a modern monitor would be 100% OK on an older card?

FWIW this card and the W10 installed nVidia drivers seem stable and good running my Dell 2209W on the DVI connection port :)

I think but am not certain that your GT610 is limited to 1920 x 1080 on digital so would not drive a 2560 x 1440 monitor to its limit. You need a card with dual-link DVI, DisplayPort (or HDMI 1.4 but it's not something I've tried) and I have a GT640 which has DL DVI so you don't need to go far up the Nvidia tree to get something suitable and there may be something on offer in the sales section. Just be careful to pick something that your PSU can handle.

Last edited:
I think but am not certain that your GT610 is limited to 1920 x 1080 on digital so would not drive a 2560 x 1440 monitor to its limit. You need a card with dual-link DVI, DisplayPort (or HDMI 1.4 but it's not something I've tried) and I have a GT640 which has DL DVI so you don't need to go far up the Nvidia tree to get something suitable and there are probably plenty of good offers in the MM. Just be careful to pick something that your PSU can handle.
Wrong forum ;)

I think but am not certain that your GT610 is limited to 1920 x 1080 on digital so would not drive a 2560 x 1440 monitor to its limit. You need a card with dual-link DVI, DisplayPort (or HDMI 1.4 but it's not something I've tried) and I have a GT640 which has DL DVI so you don't need to go far up the Nvidia tree to get something suitable and there are probably plenty of good offers in the MM. Just be careful to pick something that your PSU can handle.

Thanks for the insight. Thinking about this I do have another card that is dual DVI and VGA but as older fairly sure not HDMI . power wise I have a 650W PSU and it was powering that older card aok. So as you say I will likely need a smallish step up the spec ladder to get what needed. The nVidia driver is AFAIK the most recent W10 certified one so will 'cover' all(?) current cards without updating.

Wrong forum ;)
Well spotted, now edited. Which is slightly pointless given that it's been quoted twice but what the hell......

Thanks for the insight. Thinking about this I do have another card that is dual DVI and VGA but as older fairly sure not HDMI . power wise I have a 650W PSU and it was powering that older card aok. So as you say I will likely need a smallish step up the spec ladder to get what needed. The nVidia driver is AFAIK the most recent W10 certified one so will 'cover' all(?) current cards without updating.
No, not 'dual DVI' but 'dual-link DVI' which is how the card uses a single connector to get higher resolution. If the connector has four pins around the horizontal bar on one side then it's DVI-I which cannot be dual-link; if it doesn't have the pins then it's DVI-D which might be dual-link. It's tricky....
You may need to re-install the driver if the new card is in a different family from the old one.

Last edited:
No, not 'dual DVI' but 'dual-link DVI' which is how the card uses a single connector to get higher resolution. If the connector has four pins around the horizontal bar on one side then it's DVI-I which cannot be dual-link; if it doesn't have the pins then it's DVI-D which might be dual-link. It's tricky....
You may need to re-install the driver if the new card is in a different family from the old one.

For extra info:-
  1. Motherboard a Gigabyte P55A-UD4 supports PCI Express 2.0
  2. The nVidia GT610
    has max digital resolution of 2560 x 1600
    Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI and VGA
    link here http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/specifications
So on paper(?) based on the PCI bus would I even be able to use say the GT640 which according to its spec requires PCI Express 3.0 on my motherboard?

If indeed my GT610 is capable of the "dual-link" you mention how is that done or indeed would its HDMI port work at the cards highest resolution?

The driver is the W10 one dated 13/7/2015 and version 10.18.13.5354 (NB I had downloaded the nVidia version for W10 version 353.30)

Edit - the nVidia Control Panel says I am running driver version 353.54

TIA for any further insight :)

PS the ports are shown here http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/product-images

PPS My Dell 2209WA is connected as DVI-D

Of course having added this information the Dell UP2716D does not have a DVI port, onlt DP, minDP and HDMI :(

Last edited:
One of those times when I'm happy to be wrong. :)
I suggest trying HDMI first as you'd only need a cable. The worst that can happen is that it will run at 1920 x 1080. There are probably DVI-DL to HDMI or DP adapters available but it's not something I've looked into.
The GT 640 doesn't need PCIE 3.0, it'll work quite happily with PCIE 2.0 but perhaps not as fast as it might be with PCIE 3.0. The cards and slots are fully backwards/forwards compatible and just work at the best speed they can negotiate between them.

Thanks for the clarification and insight :)

Had a quick look and DP / DVI-DL adaptor exists https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-BizLink-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72 but so far not the "right way round" I.e. DP output to DVI-DL input where what is needed is DVI-DL out to DP in?

Edit ~ interestingly I have found reports on Dell forum about uniformity issues with the 2516 screen apparently on earlier manufactured ones of green tint and pink tint splitting the screen!!!

Last edited:
Some great information in this thread - thanks for all the responses.

I will wait to see how the monitor performs with the PC on-board graphics chip-set and if necessary dip a toe into the murky world of NVidia and AMD graphics cards.

Chris

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere but Dell have the UP2516D a 25inch screen with the same gamut and other spec as the OP's 27 inch version. Same resolution in a tad(?) smaller screen :)

One of those times when I'm happy to be wrong. :)
I suggest trying HDMI first as you'd only need a cable. The worst that can happen is that it will run at 1920 x 1080. There are probably DVI-DL to HDMI or DP adapters available but it's not something I've looked into.
The GT 640 doesn't need PCIE 3.0, it'll work quite happily with PCIE 2.0 but perhaps not as fast as it might be with PCIE 3.0. The cards and slots are fully backwards/forwards compatible and just work at the best speed they can negotiate between them.
Read something recently while trying to decide whether to upgrade my motherboard that the speed difference between pci 2 and 3 is negligible. Only a few frames per second while gaming in most scenarios.

Thanks for the clarification and insight :)

Had a quick look and DP / DVI-DL adaptor exists https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-BizLink-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72 but so far not the "right way round" I.e. DP output to DVI-DL input where what is needed is DVI-DL out to DP in?

Edit ~ interestingly I have found reports on Dell forum about uniformity issues with the 2516 screen apparently on earlier manufactured ones of green tint and pink tint splitting the screen!!!
Yes, that way round I have looked into and I have one of those Dell adapters (£30 on eBay) which has worked well on my Dell laptop docking station.
As a long-term 1440p screen user, I wouldn't want that resolution on a screen smaller than 27". The text is small enough at 100% on a 27" screen that I think it would be uncomfortable on 25"

Yes, that way round I have looked into and I have one of those Dell adapters (£30 on eBay) which has worked well on my Dell laptop docking station.
As a long-term 1440p screen user, I wouldn't want that resolution on a screen smaller than 27". The text is small enough at 100% on a 27" screen that I think it would be uncomfortable on 25"
Ah! thanks for the insight re 25" vs 27"

As for a DVI to mDP convertor:-

Found this page on the Dell site http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...3529/t/19611699?dgc=SM&cid=266889&lid=5129275 where this product is linked to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlona-DVI-Mini-DisplayPort-Convertor/dp/B003CWEXWO so a possible though expensive addition!

Having said that
on the nVidia forum I have been reassured that the GT610 HDMI port will work with the UP2716D but then found a ref to that the HDMI port does not support 2560x1440 but 2048x1152

I have now posted about this on the Dell community forum as there is nothing I could find about this 'oddity' on the Dell site or in the downloadable user manual ? :(

Last edited:
I think you're just expecting too much from a relatively elderly card.
Given the price of that DVI-to-DP adapter, I'd either consider a different monitor that has DVI-DL or buying a newer card that has DP on-board.

Chris I hope this is ok ,seemed daft to start another thread if in any way you would like this pulled just ask buddy :) This has been a really informative read ,cheers so much for posting ,do you have the monitor yet ,any feedback?

Guys I've been looking at this monitor too i've already come across reports of both the colour variation across the screen and also light bleed. If any one can give any feedback please on these concerns i'd be very grateful. This wasn't the first Del ultra sharp i came across in my search for something a bit bigger (27") and better in quality what are other options? Probably can't have 4K but the one mentioned above should be as far as I can go according to my lad whom understands this stuff. I'd be very grateful for thoughts from guys whom make images at this stage on what their actual experiences are of using these Del ultra sharps,I've only read good stuff until I find the monitor that to my unlearned eye seems most suitable for photo editing utterly no gaming,within my price range computer spec ect etc. Reading reviews of the product being sent back by folks whom I feel know more on this subject is a worry

Take care
Stu

Chris I hope this is ok ,seemed daft to start another thread if in any way you would like this pulled just ask buddy :) This has been a really informative read ,cheers so much for posting ,do you have the monitor yet ,any feedback?

Take care
Stu

Stu,

I think it's a good idea to keep this thread running, no problem with broadening the scope.

I don't have any feedback on the monitor yet, it's a Christmas present, so it's likely to be a few days after Christmas before it gets set up - I'll provide feedback as soon as a I can.

Re the comments about even lighting etc. I read lots of reviews and settled on the Dell as what appears to be the best compromise of cost v performance. There may be a little imperfection in background brightness levels etc. but I think in practical terms it will be barely noticeable - you can usually find something wrong with every device if you look hard enough. It's going to be a huge improvement on the basic monitor in use at the moment.

Chris

Chris, cheers mate!!

Yes of course it is a tool at a price and ,might have some short comings after all one can pay much more. But I feel very much the same it will be worlds better than what I have now. I've found so little negative posted about the ultrasharp range Chris I'm slightly unsettled by what I found,I know how little I know about all this,so wanted to wack it out there. There is alot of knowledge here i'd imagine some must be users of this very monitor it would be nice to hear their musings.
Oh kiddo Happy chirmbo hope yours is all you want:).

Me I'm a simple guy Chris I just want to see CLEARLY colours be right for both s and Adobe colour space and bigger:D it seems to be the best for me too at this time but it's always worth digging

thank you

Stu

Hi Stu,

Let me know which monitor you decide on, I will be interested to know.

I will post my thoughts on the UP2716D after Christmas, I can't do it before as it's a Christmas present for my wife, she has wanted a decent monitor for a while, so I'm hoping I have got it right!

I have ordered the calibrator too, not much point havin a decent screening it's not displaying the right colours.

Chris

Am looking at one of these from nrgit.biz reconditioned but with a warranty

Helpful post cheers. Been wondering for a while which is the right monitor but without having to spend a fortune!!

Reporting back with my first impressions of the Dell UP2716UPD - Excellent.

It is a huge improvement on my HP 24", a lot sharper, ruthlessly revealing detail in images - not always for the better!

Getting it set up properly took some work and expense. Using the on-board graphics with a HDMI connection would not allow any resolution higher than 1920.

I took a risk and bought a NVidia 1050 graphics card, so I could connect using a display port. Installing the card caused the PC to refuse to boot, it stopped on the POST. A bias upgrade solved that problem and all is fine now.

Very pleased with the new screen, I'm just hoping that I don't experience any of the 1050 problems mentioned earlier in the thread.

Chris

Reporting back with my first impressions of the Dell UP2716UPD - Excellent.

It is a huge improvement on my HP 24", a lot sharper, ruthlessly revealing detail in images - not always for the better!

Getting it set up properly took some work and expense. Using the on-board graphics with a HDMI connection would not allow any resolution higher than 1920.

I took a risk and bought a NVidia 1050 graphics card, so I could connect using a display port. Installing the card caused the PC to refuse to boot, it stopped on the POST. A bias upgrade solved that problem and all is fine now.

Very pleased with the new screen, I'm just hoping that I don't experience any of the 1050 problems mentioned earlier in the thread.

Chris

Hi Chris thanks for posting the above the" ruthlessly revealing detail in images" comment has me sold,that is exactly what I need,point taken though about not always for the better:D. Seriously Chris i'm struggling with fine detail and critical sharpness. Got a refurb of the same model coming tomorrow mate. Then i'll be in for some serious culling of images I suppose.:banana:

Chris,hopefully my graphics card should power this ok it's just within spec . I dug extensively mate the Ben Q was the main competitor for me,but the deal I got meant no choice but go with the Dell, Frankly I can't wait mate i've never really had colour issues but the detail level I actually view has always been a huge concern to me I'm posting images that i'm unsure on IQ to be told it's sharp then the next I think is ok and it's not. If my opinion if all goes well tomorrow and everything works, is the same as yours, this is going to be a massive weight of me back.

I'll let you know how I get on shortly mate have the best new year bro

Stu:)

Hi Stu,

I don't think you will be disappointed with the resolution of the 2716, I'm no expert on monitors but I can't fault this one. The new graphics card seems to be working without any driver issues too - so far so good.

Looking forward to hear how you get on with your new monitor,

Chris

Cheers kiddo, and great you aren't having any probs, driver, or what ever they are, wise. That side or it worries me mate need to upgrade PC too.

. Ahh I just hope it works and the computer etc can hold together can'r wait TBH Chris. I'm holding stuff I shouldn't be through insecurity . No expert here either mate just learning and getting to stages where one has to get tools of better quality Which cost dosh I don't want to spend:dummy:,now a bigger white heavy thing that makes ickle aminals and birds magically bigger I'd like spending dosh on that:D But pc's UGG,

To be able to see clearly is pretty important though :) ,one can't do much with togging without seeing an image well;) Jeepers kiddo, i found an NEC top of the range wow a nice cool 3K plus, So f this does the job I'll be well chuffed,

hope the pc don't explode though

seeya

Stu

The only issue you might have is the graphics card being able to output an image at 2560x1440, my laptop nvidia card maxes out at that resolution! Phew. Also you need display port to send a 1440p image, hdmi won't do it, my finger hovering over the buy Button now [emoji4]

Hey guys cheers for the thoughts. All is well graphics card is maxed at screen res,but it all seems to be working fine.. Dale Steve,I know very little about all this computer malarky, my lad sorts stuff for me he's a genuis with this type of thing. I've just spoken to him I am using HDMI(it's a later protocol I believe )and actually checked the res that the screen is running at. It is running at 2560x1440,so Dale you might be ok .My graphic is geforce 9800GT. Lads I can't get involved in computer debates I have NO knowledge not a clue,but I have the screen infront of me and it is running at the above res on an HDMI lead, me boy got for me. Dale the right HDMI lead might be important here

The screen is great I'm well pleased,detail is fabulous. colours vibrant. I can see so much more,it's a complete joy,although bloody big.:banana:

A word on NRG service tracking packaging all top drawer,they only opened the warehouse yesterday and by close of play last night I had notification of product on its way,arrived as stated in the hours they gave me for delivery. My refurb montior looks exactly like i'd expect it to if i'd bought new ,so I've saved a packet on new price plus got great service but still got warenty etc and the damn thing works for good measure.

Chris yup well pleased,i've really been struggling mate assessing IQ I can see why now,thanks for the help

HNY all

Stu

I'm pleased to hear you are happy with your new monitor Stu - happy Editing!

My wife is delighted with hers, I will get the same when my HP is ready for replacement.

Chris

Hey guys cheers for the thoughts. All is well graphics card is maxed at screen res,but it all seems to be working fine.. Dale Steve,I know very little about all this computer malarky, my lad sorts stuff for me he's a genuis with this type of thing. I've just spoken to him I am using HDMI(it's a later protocol I believe )and actually checked the res that the screen is running at. It is running at 2560x1440,so Dale you might be ok .My graphic is geforce 9800GT. Lads I can't get involved in computer debates I have NO knowledge not a clue,but I have the screen infront of me and it is running at the above res on an HDMI lead, me boy got for me. Dale the right HDMI lead might be important here

The screen is great I'm well pleased,detail is fabulous. colours vibrant. I can see so much more,it's a complete joy,although bloody big.:banana:

A word on NRG service tracking packaging all top drawer,they only opened the warehouse yesterday and by close of play last night I had notification of product on its way,arrived as stated in the hours they gave me for delivery. My refurb montior looks exactly like i'd expect it to if i'd bought new ,so I've saved a packet on new price plus got great service but still got warenty etc and the damn thing works for good measure.

Chris yup well pleased,i've really been struggling mate assessing IQ I can see why now,thanks for the help

HNY all

Stu
What calibration device are you using, and how much difference does the before/after calibration check reveal?

What calibration device are you using, and how much difference does the before/after calibration check reveal?

cheers Chris
Bri, i'm not calibrated yet, it's something I'll address shortly,at the mo I'm just glad it works. Had my doubts if i'm honest,so I haven't got the tools to do it yet.My PC and old monitor are fairly old and basic Bri,so it's only as of yesterday I've had a monitor that it was worth calibrating.I'll let you know here how I get on once it's sorted mate

Take care

Stu

Back