Quality Ball Heads

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I'd like to *ahem* invest in a quality ball head. I've used geared heads in the past and like their precision but not the weight or speed of movement. I like ball heads but I don't think I've ever had a really good one that eliminates slip when locking so it's always bit of trial and error composing.

Just after some experience of what others are using for landscapes.

I should say here that I do have a lighter weight tripod set ups that I can use when needed but this would be for serious stuff so whilst I'd never welcome unnecessary weight, I'd rather bias towards quality than shaving grams.

On the radar at present are the Arca Swiss Z1 and P0. The surui K-40x looks decent too though not sure it's quite as polished as the AS stuff. FLM seem to do some good stuff too but hard to find in the UK it seems.

Hey Graham - I've been using this head (https://redsnapperuk.com/product/rsh-12-ball-head/) for about 8yrs or so and very happy with it! Locks off very well and never had an issue with my D750 and 70-200 f/4 or 100-400.

I believe they do 10% off for members here, should be able to find the code in an older post somewhere.

I have had a few good Ball Heads, Markins M10 (think its a Q10 now) couple of FLM ones, 32F was my most recent
Use it on one of their tripods https://robertrodriguezjr.com/2017/07/20/field-test-flm-cp-26-travel-tripod/
Snapperstuff are the distributors and usually have a good selection in stock
Also have an Arca Z1 SP which to be honest is overkill for my Fuji and Panasonic gear now.
It lives in the car atop an old Manfrotto 055 Pro tripod just in case its wanted
https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/arca-...cket-z1-sp-with-quickset-fliplock-device.html

Last edited:
Cheers Gents. I'll take a look at the Snapperstuff. Probably looking for something 50mm+ which rules out the redsnapper I think.

I have both a Z1DP and a P-0, of the two I prefer the P-0 but it's a little bit of an odd duck when you first start using it. But of all the heads I've ever used I think I still like the Acratech GP the best. The only negative is that there is a little bit of lateral shift when the head is locked down... and it's not cheap.

The Sirui K-40x is also a very nice ballhead and probably one of the best values on the market... the P-0 (w/o clamp) is right behind it IMO.

I have both a Z1DP and a P-0, of the two I prefer the P-0 but it's a little bit of an odd duck when you first start using it. But of all the heads I've ever used I think I still like the Acratech GP the best. The only negative is that there is a little bit of lateral shift when the head is locked down... and it's not cheap.

The Sirui K-40x is also a very nice ballhead and probably one of the best values on the market... the P-0 (w/o clamp) is right behind it IMO.

Interesting comments. Would you mind expanding on why you prefer the P-0 over the Z1?

The K-40x seems a very good buy but will it offer what I want in terms of eliminating movement when I lock it off?

Interesting comments. Would you mind expanding on why you prefer the P-0 over the Z1?

The K-40x seems a very good buy but will it offer what I want in terms of eliminating movement when I lock it off?
The P-0 is smaller/lighter and quicker to use IME. Plus my Z1DP has their proprietary clamp on it which I'm not fond of. I bought a P-0 w/o a clamp and added a standard one myself.
Unless you put something very heavy and very poorly balanced on it, the K-40x should be plenty secure.
For landscapes/panos a head with top panning/leveling base capability might be a big plus (Z1DP, P-0, Acratech, etc).

While you didn't ask about it, there's also the SunwayFoto GH-Pro which is a 2 axis geared head that also allows you to use it more like a ballhead (but still a little slower/more fussy)... and it has top/dual panning capability. If all I was doing was landscape/architecture type work, it's the head I would probably use. It's an Arca Swiss D4 copy for less than 1/2 the price.

Last edited:
If you want something 50mm plus I could be tempted to offload my Z1 and get something smaller like another FLM.
Bit of a waste leaving it in the back of the car especially if someone could use it.

The P-0 is smaller/lighter and quicker to use IME. Plus my Z1DP has their proprietary clamp on it which I'm not fond of. I bought a P-0 w/o a clamp and added a standard one myself.
Unless you put something very heavy and very poorly balanced on it, the K-40x should be plenty secure.
For landscapes/panos a head with top panning/leveling base capability might be a big plus (Z1DP, P-0, Acratech, etc).

While you didn't ask about it, there's also the SunwayFoto GH-Pro which is a 2 axis geared head that also allows you to use it more like a ballhead (but still a little slower/more fussy)... and it has top/dual panning capability. If all I was doing was landscape/architecture type work, it's the head I would probably use. It's an Arca Swiss D4 copy for less than 1/2 the price.

Cheers for all the input. It's really valuable. I'd probably buy any arca without clamps as I already have stuff I like for that. Need to do a bit more reading on the Sirui, could be good option.

I'll read up on the sunwayforo geared head though gut feeling is its unlikely to appeal but I'll be open minded. Thanks again

If you want something 50mm plus I could be tempted to offload my Z1 and get something smaller like another FLM.
Bit of a waste leaving it in the back of the car especially if someone could use it.

Probably not quite ready to purchase yet but please give me a nudge if you do list it. Out of interest is your z1 bare or does it have a clamp?

Ball heads, to me, are terrible for accurate control which is why I've been a Manfrotto 405 user for a decade or so.

Like you, the weight is an issue along with wanting to go Arca Swiss compatible for L-Plates etc. and I genuinely tried Gitzo's top of the range ball head to try and reduce the weight and the experience was awful in comparison. By the time I remembered which knob un-tightened it, then not doing it enough, then not doing it enough again, then losing my composition, then not getting it spot on again etc. etc. I was ready to through it away and it was straight on eBay when I got back from that trip.

The compromise for me (as I will never allow a ball head on my tripod ever again for sanity reasons) is the Benro GD3WH. A geared head, Arca Swiss as standard and around a kilo lighter than the Manfrotto 405.

You will know from using a geared head that the precision is easy and simple to do but, in my experience, if you're thinking a ball head will be quicker and simpler, you might be disappointed!

Ball heads, to me, are terrible for accurate control which is why I've been a Manfrotto 405 user for a decade or so.

Like you, the weight is an issue along with wanting to go Arca Swiss compatible for L-Plates etc. and I genuinely tried Gitzo's top of the range ball head to try and reduce the weight and the experience was awful in comparison. By the time I remembered which knob un-tightened it, then not doing it enough, then not doing it enough again, then losing my composition, then not getting it spot on again etc. etc. I was ready to through it away and it was straight on eBay when I got back from that trip.

The compromise for me (as I will never allow a ball head on my tripod ever again for sanity reasons) is the Benro GD3WH. A geared head, Arca Swiss as standard and around a kilo lighter than the Manfrotto 405.

You will know from using a geared head that the precision is easy and simple to do but, in my experience, if you're thinking a ball head will be quicker and simpler, you might be disappointed!

Think you might be pleasantly surprised with some of the high quality ball heads that are available.
Unfortunately Gitzo weren't included in that select group although I believe the newer ones are much better.

Cheers. Do appreciate the input. I did actually consider the Benro geared head. It does seem decent but I'm just not a big fan of them. I think they're great for getting things exactly where you want them but slow for getting the camera close to where you want it in the first place. It did occur to me that the ideal would be a geared head mounted on top of a ball head but I can't afford the chiropractor bills!

I have used ball heads and geared heads in the past so I do know the pros and cons but I just think ball heads are my preference.

As it happens I snapped up a kirk BH-1 on ebay for what I think was quite a good price. It will be quite heavy but reviews suggest very solid and no sag when clamping which was the main goal.

Need to find another tripod next but that can wait for another thread!

Think you might be pleasantly surprised with some of the high quality ball heads that are available.
Unfortunately Gitzo weren't included in that select group although I believe the newer ones are much better.

Yeah, for whatever reason gitzo heads that I've used in the past seemed distinctly average. The 3LT head I have at the moment is actually quite a lot more solid than my old, much heavier, much more expensive Gitzo.

I used a Manfrotto 410 geared head for years shooting landscapes, but went for a change to a FLM CB-48FT MkII and it's brilliant, I don't miss the geared head at all.

The friction control is fantastic and allows for fine adjustment no problem once set.

Last edited:

I have the K-40x. When you tighten the locking knob the camera will move, knocking your framing off. If your camera system isn't too heavy you may get by with just the friction. The smaller versions are even worse.

If precision framing is your goal nothing beats a geared head, like the Cube, or L60. A P0 Hybrid is pretty neat too but the camera sits a bit too high IMO.

I have the K-40x. When you tighten the locking knob the camera will move, knocking your framing off. If your camera system isn't too heavy you may get by with just the friction. The smaller versions are even worse.

If precision framing is your goal nothing beats a geared head, like the Cube, or L60. A P0 Hybrid is pretty neat too but the camera sits a bit too high IMO.

Cheers. I snapped up a kirk bh-1 a couple of weeks back. Very happy so far.

I'm surprised you've had issues when locking off the K-40x. I use the K-20x and experience no drift at all when locking. Even when using my 70-200mm at an angle it locks of exactly where I want it.

If anything, I actually wish I had gone for one of their smaller and lighter ballheads.

Back