Beginner Quality Photo Print Service - Who’s Best?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon all… I’m new around these parts (first post).

I’m completely new to photography, started taking street snaps in May this year.

I’m now at a point where I would like to see some of my work printed, please could give me a recommendation for the best quality online printing company?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello Simon and welcome. I have been very happy with Klein Imaging in Manchester who offer online services.

If you just want to print some 4x6 to see your images in print, perhaps with a plan to choose some to print larger than Max Spielman or the like is fine or just invest in an inexpensive photo printer and do those yourself.

A number of years ago, I sent the same image off to various printers, both to see the quality of the print and the ease of the upload process. I was happiest with DSCL. Although for larger prints I use my local lab, One Vision Imaging.

Hello Simon and welcome. I have been very happy with Klein Imaging in Manchester who offer online services.

If you just want to print some 4x6 to see your images in print, perhaps with a plan to choose some to print larger than Max Spielman or the like is fine or just invest in an inexpensive photo printer and do those yourself.
Fantastic thanks for the advice, I’m based just outside of Manchester so will certainly give Klein Imaging a go .

‘Best quality’ printing is a bit of a wild goose chase.

DSCL are really good and great value.

But ‘best’ might lead you to a company like Whitewall where you can spend all your pension fund on some trendy aluminium prints or something else that takes your fancy.

My only observation if I have read DCSL prices that unless you order over 300 prints you dont seem to get access to prints such as 10x8 and larger is this correct in readers experience
Where's that fiction come from?

saw it on their price list just now - had never heard of them before so its a bit disappointing to get such a response from someone on here
The cells of the table are merged - you pay the same price per print if you order 1, or 700, unlike the smaller printers where there is a cheaper per print price for bulk orders.

Afternoon all… I’m new around these parts (first post).

I’m completely new to photography, started taking street snaps in May this year.

I’m now at a point where I would like to see some of my work printed, please could give me a recommendation for the best quality online printing company?

Many thanks in advance.
Just a though. You say your completely new to photography. Have you a clue what a really good print even looks like? You should invest in a small printer to print your own and see what you get that you like. Best quality is nothing more than someone's opinion! Not to say they are all good, likely not but where your at right now you won't be able to tell. Can't get it anymore but I have a small Canon iP100 that I've printed up to 8x16 photo's with and I like it. Started with one of those small HP 4x6 printers. Didn't win any awards but was able to see my photo's right away. Went to a 4x6 Epson from there and then to my Canon. When I first started with digital I got my first computer and printer at the same time. Printer was an inexpensive HP 8.5" printer. Doubt anyone would call it a great printer but it gave me photo's I never though I'd be able to do. I think in it and the HP computer I might have had $300 max. Well not that much I don't thnk! Price I was willing to pay to move forward. Now that I think about it, I think I didn't need a computer to printwith that 4x6 HP. Seem's the memory card slipped right in it and it printed from that! There's a down side to the 4x6 printer. Your gonna at some point get a photo you want to enlarge! 8.5x11 printers can be very reasonable and give you the larger picture. My primary printer today is a 13" Canon pixma pro 9000 MKII. and still I'll print some up to 8x16 on my little iP100, it just does a good job! Fact of the matter about going digital is you need a computer to store photo's in, You have that. But if you want to send a photo of the kids to mom you either have to pay someone else to do it or do it yourself on a small printer. In the film days to print your own you had to have a place to set up a dark room! Digital ended that.

One more thing. Those 4x6's on an inexpensive printer cost probably less than the gas to go get them printed!

Last edited:
Back