Question for Canon 30D owners!

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 30D which I love but was reading another fourm with lots of American people commenting on the noise levels of this camera, even down to ISO 100. I am not noticing much noise but when I review my stock pictures some do look grainy. Not that worry as i like noise in my pictures, it is my style but wondered if other 30D users see noise are happy with camera?

Here are emples at ISO 1600 as very dull day with little light though perhaps a little high for outside.

The complaint seems to be noise from backdrop and bokeh which is evident on pictures. See people in background?

props19.jpg

props17.jpg

So has anyone here had noise issues with a Canon 30D?

Thanks

Diego.

I don't have a 30D Diego, but I have a 20D, and it uses the same sensor and processor as the 30D. I don't see any logical reason why it should be any noiser than the 20D, and the 20D is noted for it's low noise.

Those rugger shots are more than acceptable for 1600 ISO, in fact, I''d say they're excellent. Don't forget that under-exposure will also increase image noise, and it looks very dull there.

Thanks for the prompt reply. To be honest, my skill is limited and I sometimes get exposure errors and this was a dull rainy day that I had to keep upping the ISO on to get something as was shooting in TV mode for freeze the action.

It seems that the americans I have read on say things like 'man, the 30d sucks my last 7 were keepers' and then you start to question your camera thinking mmmm, is mine noisy? A lot of yanks return them for 20D as state better than the 30.

Same picture via noiseware, looks smudged and terrible -

Diego.

I use noiseware sometimes, but you have to be careful as you often get that smoothing you have there, and I agree, it looks awful. I much prefer the original and I don't find that level of noise bothersome anyway.

If the 30D is unduly noisy, then we'll start to hear about it from reliable sources, but until then, I'd trust your own judgement, and be very wary of a lot of the opinions you read on the internet. ;)

noiseware was far too harsh on that shot, i had a quick play and got the same result so thats not a good start!
i have to agree with CT though, for ISO1600 they are very good!

you've not been reading DPreview have you? i find that site to be so full of bull**** and overkeen people who seem to care more for the tehnology of the camera and to completely disregard the pictures produced, i read the entirity of an article between APS-C and full frame sensors on there and it was so bull**** ridden it was untrue, aparently the inherent photosite on a APS-C sensor is so small that the noise issues would be so great you simply couldnt make a usable picture out of it..........

which we all know to be completely untrue, the site is also full of bickering the likes of which even the house of commons would be shocked at

you've not been reading DPreview have you?

Yes. Spot on. It seems to be exactly as you decribe it with people being very critical of technical side of things and forgetting about the actual pictures. Shame. :(

But now I have found this website and its great already!

Diego.

Diego Garcia said:
Yes. Spot on. It seems to be exactly as you decribe it with people being very critical of technical side of things and forgetting about the actual pictures. Shame. :(

But now I have found this website and its great already!

Diego.

i posted a few pictures in the critique section of that site and the responses were simple "nice photos N/T" (No Text) does that class as critique?

if anyone has some spare time come see how pompus and up there own arse posters on DP review are
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&message=15088425&changemode=1

IanC_UK said:
Geez ! they are bad ! i only read the first page ! lol

i know, if someone was that rude to my guests on my wedding day (fat chance i know) then they'd find themselves going home early without any pay. that SPy guy really has an attitude problem

The 30D/20D is in the top 3 D-SLR list for low noise !!!

I was keen to have a play with mine at high ISO - having been using the D30 for low-light shots at speedway I have constantly found I've been effectively out of light once shutter speed has fallen too low at 800, as 1600 is simply unusable. Testing the new 30D today at 1600 I have to say I am deeply impressed with the quality of the images. I'll be interested to give it it's first run out at speedway on Thursday to see some "real" results.

Can you post some images please?

I hope to travel to Swindon for the Speedway some day. :)

Diego.

Diego Garcia said:
Can you post some images please?

I hope to travel to Swindon for the Speedway some day. :)

Diego.

Swindon is a nice track to watch at, but not so good for photos unless you are quite tall as it's difficult to get above the safety fence. Last time I was there I settled myself on the first bend, as high as I could get, and then moved to the back straight - again as high as possible. Staying with the M4 Reading is nice for pics - good views onto the bends and a not-too-high fence......

I don't have any speedway action shots with the 30d yet, but there are plenty taken with the old D30 on my webshots albums - notably http://community.webshots.com/user/photozone72album2 and http://community.webshots.com/user/photozone72album4. As and when I get any on the 30D they will go onto the second of those. Also http://www.ipswich-witches.com uses my pics, among others.

Thanks. Had a look at your shots, nice work. Tell me, what shutter speeds do you work with at the speedway?

Diego.

Diego Garcia said:
Thanks. Had a look at your shots, nice work. Tell me, what shutter speeds do you work with at the speedway?

Diego.

LOL - as fast as I can possibly manage, which in the evenings tends not to be that fast! Mostly I use the AV setting at the largest I can get on my lens (5.6) and that gives me a shutter speed of 1/250 - 1/125. Anything below 1/125 is very little good, although I've had one or two below that which have worked. ISO speed of 400/800, changed as the light drops.

If I had the light to be able to choose, then I'd go for something around 1/500 - fast enough for nice crisp shots without losing the feeling of speed.

Hi All
Here are a few pics taken with 30D and sigma 105 macro f2.8 @iso 1000 natural light mounted on tripod..

_MG_1890-01copy.jpg

_MG_1896-01copy.jpg

_MG_1895copy.jpg

_MG_1893-01copy.jpg

Very minor tweak on wb and resized for web plus saved in srgb nothing else done and they print out superb.

Nice! confirms my thinking that there is very little noise at "normal" ISO's - how it would perform at 3200 is another matter I guess.

Back