Question for the guys

Edit My Images
Yes
ok my 14 yr lad has decided that today he is going to start shaving, ahem.
Do yous lot think it best for him to start off using an electric shaver, as he has got the old teenage spots, I'm thinking a wet shave might be a bit harsh.

Is there any particular knack to shaving the face, as I obviously I don't shave mine (NO comments please :LOL: )

Any advice?

btw I have had a google, I don't think I should have done! lol

I'm going back a while but when I started shaving there was such a thing as a "Youth Shaver" which was brilliant. It's an electric razor that's specifically designed for teenagers starting to shave. Although a wet shave is "the best a man can get" :D I'd recommend he waits until his skin calms down a bit before progressing to it. HTH :)

Hmmm...my poor 19 year old has terrible spots at the moment and they wont go. He wet shaves. Perhaps that's not a good idea.:|

btw I have had a google, I don't think I should have done! lol

:LOL:

If he has a few teenage spots, you're probably right, an electric may be better.

For wet shaves, it makes it a lot easier if you do it after a shower (it opens the pores), shave with the grain and not against it. Use a bit of moisturiser after and not after-shave.

I thought the electric was the best way to go, thanks Grendel.

Janice, my son uses those Clearasil pads, but because being off school for easter and out of routine he tends to slack on using them after he washes, but they do help keep them at bay. I have heard that it is best just to go straight to the doctors if the spots are a real problem as they can prescribed much better treatments, than over the counter.

If your going to wet shave use shaving oil, not gel or foam.
Quite a lot of people suffer from shaving rash when wet shaving, including myself.
I use shaving oil and a Mach3 and only shave every 2-3 days. This is the best way for me to avoid the discomfort of shaving rash.

I sometimes use an electric razor, but even though its not as harsh on the face as a blade, it can still leave the face feeling sore.

I suppose your going to have to find out the best combination for yourself by trial and error.

Quite a lot of people suffer from shaving rash when wet shaving, including myself.
I use shaving oil and a Mach3 and only shave every 2-3 days. This is the best way for me to avoid the discomfort of shaving rash.

I sometimes use an electric razor, but even though its not as harsh on the face as a blade, it can still leave the face feeling sore.

I suppose your going to have to find out the best combination for yourself by trial and error.

I'm an every 2 working days with whole weekend off. Nothing worse than having to shave in the morning :( It will fall on deaf ears but advise him to hold off for as long as he can!

The best way to avoid rash is to shave twice, as SW4 Peter said it's best after a shower. Shave the first time with the grain, add some more lather and shave the second time against the grain, I guarantee it will be nice and smooth and you won't have to shave for a couple of days. I use the new Mach 3 gel as I find it to be better than other products, including oil.

The shaving tip came from a butler btw, if you need any more useless info like how to iron a shirt properly, ask away!

:D :D :D

I have heard that it is best just to go straight to the doctors if the spots are a real problem as they can prescribed much better treatments, than over the counter.

He has used Freederm but at £9 a tube its a bit over the top.
He had such bad boils too... face, arms, legs...one on his face was SO bad his face swelled up so that he was unrecognisable.

He went to the hospital and they gave him tablets to take for the next few years. They worked, no more boils..and the spots were a bit better too.

Now the spots are really reallly bad again.........shoulders too. :(

Electric razors always gave me spots as a yoof. Wet shave all the way, new blade on a regular basis, soon as you feel it begin to blunt change it. I prefer shaving gel as well but the sister in law gave me some bodyshop shaving cream lately, it's actually very good, similar to oil but different :shrug:

Thanks for the replies.

I too have told him to wait but he's the hairiest out of his mates and they keep winding him up about it :D I tell him they are just jealous :LOL:
He has had his tache since about 12, so now it's quite thick, and now he's got quite a bit of 'bum fluff' on his chin!

I have tried to convince him that a lot of girls go for the unshaven bloke, :)

Thanks for the tip Hacker although I don't tend to get shaving rash ;) :LOL:

Janice my son only has the grotty teenage spots not as bad as your lads', he must really suffer with those :(

I would recommend the lazy ass approach of using a trimmer when you think you are getting a bit hairy...I tried shaving for a while, really couldnt be arsed with it! Wet shave was deffo the best, but I think I think I was spotless then...so not a lot of help :(

Well, since stubble :naughty: was mentioned up there somewhere, it has put a rather bizarre song in my head that I can't get rid of now, but I won't say it on here :LOL:

All this talk of stuble & shaving rash brings back bad memories of *cough* having the snip done :whistle:

Remember, when starting shaving you must either shave once a week or every day, not sporadically - every now and then etc.

All this talk of stuble & shaving rash brings back bad memories of *cough* having the snip done :whistle:

That reminds me of a story many years ago that a customer told.
When she had her first child, the midwife/nurse or whoever came into the room and said 'right, shave now' and with this she put her arm up, thinking to be shaved under the arm :LOL: . My customer said 'well I didn't know any different, I've only ever shaved under my arms and legs!' :D

BBW Have shown him what you said, he has been reading the replies with me, so thanks all.

I saw this bit of advice in a mens mag a few years back, and since following the guide I've never had any ingrowing hairs, razor rash or cuts:

1) Shave when showering, but never first thing in the morning. It takes your face at least 20 minutes to "wake Up" and settle down after sleep.
2) Use a hot towel/flannel on the face to open the pores
3) Use a good quality oil or gel (I use King of Shaves) and really massage it into the beard. This raises the hairs and makes the shave cleaner.
4) Use a good sharp, clean blade, I use the new 5 blade Gillette, and rinse the blade in hot water after every stroke. Always follow the growth of the beard, never shave against the grain as this will encourage ingrowing hairs, and never pull the skin tight to get a better shave, again encourages ingrowing hairs.
5) Rinse face with cold water. This closes the pores immediately. Pat dry with a clean towel
6) Use a good quality aftershave balm, I use Neutrogena.

Oh, and I also use a facial scrub before shaving too, this also raises the hairs and gets a nice clean shave.

I saw this bit of advice in a mens mag a few years back, and since following the guide I've never had any ingrowing hairs, razor rash or cuts:

1) Shave when showering, but never first thing in the morning. It takes your face at least 20 minutes to "wake Up" and settle down after sleep.
2) Use a hot towel/flannel on the face to open the pores
3) Use a good quality oil or gel (I use King of Shaves) and really massage it into the beard. This raises the hairs and makes the shave cleaner.
4) Use a good sharp, clean blade, I use the new 5 blade Gillette, and rinse the blade in hot water after every stroke. Always follow the growth of the beard, never shave against the grain as this will encourage ingrowing hairs, and never pull the skin tight to get a better shave, again encourages ingrowing hairs.
5) Rinse face with cold water. This closes the pores immediately. Pat dry with a clean towel
6) Use a good quality aftershave balm, I use Neutrogena.

Oh, and I also use a facial scrub before shaving too, this also raises the hairs and gets a nice clean shave.

Flippin' 'Ek I'd never get to work if I did that :LOL:
1) Fall in bathroom
2) trip over mat into shower
3) slap gillette gel on face
4) scrape off with razor ( usually blunt from the Mrs doining her legs)
5) Still asleep so shaving with a blunt (3) blade didn't hurt
6) don't forget to stem blood with a bit of bog roll ;)

perfect solution:

shave every 4 weeks, with a beard trimmer, much like George Michael, but avoid going to public lavs....

I hate shaving, but I'm all electric and I shave every 3 or 4 days unless I have to shave in between.

Juckle, ask your lad to enjoy a few years of no shaving before he really hits that razor. Believe me when I say, winter mornings, a train to catch....... and a stubble, to shave or not to shave, now that's the question:)

He is having second thoughts now, and has decided to wait until his spots have died down a bit.
I even bought him some balm, which mindcrime had mentioned using, I would never have thought for him to use that or moisturiser etc, I've been used to 'real' men (well, except one ;) :D ) ahem, who don't go in for that sort of pampering! :p :LOL:

Thanks for all the advice though. :)

Wet shave, but go with the grain until the peach fuzz turns into proper stubble. When that happens is different for everyone, but the process is speeded up by the act of shaving itself.
Use the best razor you can get with an anti-bacterial gel such as 'King of Shaves'. Make sure to rinse the razor in hot water afterwards and leave it to dry, otherwise it'll cause more nasties.

Do we have an award for "Best Thread Of The Year"?

If not then we should, this is a winner :D

Just bought the 5 blade gillette razor on offer in Boots with a pack of 4 extra heads for half price[ish]. Used it for the first time this morning & wow it is the business- much better than the old Mach 3 that i had [the one with the battery in!!!!]

If you want a gross story, several years ago i had to have an angiogram to see if i had a problem with my ticker. When i arrived at the hospital i was given a gown [ the one with no bum in it- you know the sort] & a cheap bic razor. I was told to go into the loo & follow the instructions which meant that i had to shave at the top of my leg in the groin area because thats where they make the incision in the artery there & push a tube up to your heart. The instructions were a handrawn picture showing approximately where to shave. This was delightful with a blunt bic & NHS soap for campany. When i was on the operating table, i was told by a very stroppy nurse that i had infact shaved the wrong area & did i not know what i was doing & promtly shaved the correct area- the rest as they say is history.

The moral of the story-follow instructions to the letter & dont leave anything to interpretation.

Sorry if this has put anyone off their dinner!

Johnb

*snip*
The moral of the story-follow instructions to the letter & dont leave anything to interpretation.

Sorry if this has put anyone off their dinner!

Johnb

When I had my op done I used Immac , the nurse was impressed :D

When i was 14 i was rushed into hospital with a burst appendix, while i layed on a trolly a nurse asked my mother if i needed a shave, she rubbed the back of her hand over my cheek and replied no he's to young to shave. I don't know who was more embarrassed.:wacky:

When my dad had his heart bypass, he had to be shaved all over - and refused to do it himself, so the nurse had to :D

Decent aftershave balm is a must imo, stops any irritation or rash. Nivea for men aftershave balm is good. Saying that, i don't actually shave any more. Use a beard trimmer every 2-3days.

Back