Question from a noob

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
So Idont really know a lot about photography to say the least. Question is how much better will a proper camera be compared to a flagship smart phone assuming the smart phone has a proper adapter for proper lenses that is. Im assuming the proper camera will be better but I'd like to know how exactly.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi & welcome to the forum Tom (y)

A DSLR/mirrorless camera will offer a lot more flexibility, better image quality (although flagship phone pics can be excellent) better focus speeds and focus tracking for sports, etc. They are more customizable & can be used with flashes and in the studio, etc. There are a lot of things you can shoot with a phone camera but if you decide to learn to advance your photography, it's only a matter of time before you'll need the flexibility that a phone camera cannot give.

If you take a good look in the talk beginners bits of the forum then you'll find all kinds of useful information (y)

DSLR also tend to have better low light ability plus narrow depth of field for better bokeh(blurry background). For portraits longer focal lengths mean less distortion of the face.

DSLR also tend to have better low light ability plus narrow depth of field for better bokeh(blurry background). For portraits longer focal lengths mean less distortion of the face.

More settings options and much easier to shoot manual. Also, battery life, my D750 will (never tested this) probably take over 1,000 shots on one battery (after taking 500 I always have over half left)

A lot better. Night and day, no comparison better. If you're willing to spend a little money on a half decent body and one or two good quality lenses, and learn to process your shots properly, you'll get much better photos from a proper camera.

Depends on what you mean by 'proper' - are you looking to cheap point and shoot compact cameras or bridge cameras or a dslr?

High end phones might be a match for lower end cameras, but only in the best of lighting conditions. But even flagship phone sensors pale in comparison to mid range removable lens cameras. The sensors on these phones are barely bigger than your little finger nail, meaning they are really bad in low light - the smaller the sensor the more noise or grain you'll get in your images in dimly light situations - ergonomics is a huge factor too, phones aren't the most comfortable to hold and take pictures with for anything more than a few minutes at a time. With a 'proper' camera you get a lot more controls, often customizable. Physical knobs, dials and buttons and a much more extensive menu set up.

Back