Question

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anybody have any idea why a wood pigeons pupil is shaped the way it is and not spherical? Cannot say I have noticed this with any other species but there may well be.

DSC_3133.jpg

Last edited:
As above ... it appears that it is in fact round but appears not to be so by reason of a black pigment on the iris ... rspb blog:-

Hi Paul, I am in regular contact with Hein van Grouw, Senior Curator, Bird Group at the Natural History Museum, so I e-mailed him. This is his reply:

Thanks for your email. Yes, wood pigeons seem to have non-circular pupils. The pupil, however is circular but due to a spot of dark pigment in the iris the pupil seems to be non-circular. I have no idea what the reason (advantage) is for this. What I do know is that several other (tropical) species, mainly Fruit Doves, have it too.

Attachments

• Pigeon.jpg
    Pigeon.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1
Many animals have irises that are not round: cats have slits, goats have squares. The reason? An evolutionary advantage selected for that shape.

Many animals have irises that are not round: cats have slits, goats have squares. The reason? An evolutionary advantage selected for that shape.

That I realise John, but like I say I have never noticed it in any other bird I have photographed or seen.

Back