Review Quick 1D mkIII auto-bracketing and software

Edit My Images
Yes
1 of the features of the mkIII that got me excited was the auto exposure bracketing of 3, 5 or 7 frames. Combined with 10fps that means you can get your 7 exposures in 7 10ths of a second – very cool!

I’ve also been experimenting with FDR as an alternative to photomatix for HDR. So enough intro – very quick conversions ( 7 braketed exposure of .6 increments) with both programs and the ‘normal’ exposure below.

1 - normal exposure
1348447430_4f6fb49577_o.jpg

2. photomatix
1348447628_11f0062038_o.jpg

3. FDR
1347554611_6a37fda6b1_o.jpg

I much prefer the tones resulting from FDR, but there is a halo that is obvious in the jg version that was not detectable in the TIF version!! More work and experimentation required!

I prefer the second one - the light levels look most natural.

The third looks over-exposed on my screen and I can't help thinking that if you just dropped the gamma a little, you'd get a pretty identical result to the second shot? :)

As perceptive as always Mr T :) OK, a more
empirical test is warranted. The following are tone mapped to the 'default# settings of each suite: Photomatix first with its default, then FDR with its three defaults, Simplex, Receptor and Cormpressor. I still find FDR gives a smoother result, less graphical if you like, although, as you say there is little between photomatix default and FDR compressor. Surprisingly, FDR returned faster results.

The caveat here is that images were converted from 7 raw by the software itsself and then Photozoom pro was used to resize to TPF jpeg limits - NO CS3 at all so there really are the rough outputs! You may notice that noise is an issue in all 4 shots, and i'm wondering whether this is as a result of using 7 files at input..........

1. Photomatix default:
1349911244_fc9d5cbf2e_o.jpg

2. FDR simplex
1349911398_2b4d06eff3_o.jpg

3. FDR receptor
1349910956_375001b375_o.jpg

4. FDR compressor
1349018971_e698bf967d_o.jpg

Hi Jonny, I prefer the first in each series (Photomatix). The contrasts levels look best, to me. The others look washed out...though I am viewing on a laptop at heavens knows what angle of screen...but even adjusting the tilt, I still prefer number 1. Mind you, I do like contrasty pics, so it's just my opinion.

You may notice that noise is an issue in all 4 shots, and i'm wondering whether this is as a result of using 7 files at input..........

Nah that's the crappy camera you're using :p :LOL:

Nah that's the crappy camera you're using :p :LOL:

lol - evil man :bat:

Hi Carole - good point re contrast. I'd work these through CS3 after conversion - i guess my point is that to me, i prefer the more neutral result from FDR as i feel its a smoother, less graphical hdr. The better test will come from less harsh lighting of landscapes, etc. Roll on dungeness :)

What is FDR Jon?

Photomatix default is still the best by far for me JR, but do keep at it - all experimentation is good. I've no idea why you're getting the noise issue, but on to more interesting things - how are you getting on with that MK3? :D

Photomatix default is still the best by far for me JR, but do keep at it - all experimentation is good. I've no idea why you're getting the noise issue, but on to more interesting things - how are you getting on with that MK3? :D

Its an absolute joy CT - the IQ straight fom camera is awesome! I'd never have guessed that an extra 2 bits per channel could make such a difference. Controls wise, it takes some 1d 'unlearning' but is intuitive. Weight wise - imagine previous 1d versions without battery - a BIG difference - closer to the 5d and very comfortable. Buffer management is similar to the 5d also, but obviously with x2 digic III's its FAST. The 1Ds mkIII is going to be a dream machine based on this :crying:

Its yet to make a debut with the swans, but looking forward to the opportunity in the next couple of weeks.

What is FDR Jon?

Hi Paul - its something i stumbled upon when i was researching native dynamic range of various sensors - i wanted to try something new and gave it a go:) site is here if you want a look: http://www.fdrtools.com/front_e.php

Its an absolute joy CT - the IQ straight fom camera is awesome! I'd never have guessed that an extra 2 bits per channel could make such a difference. Controls wise, it takes some 1d 'unlearning' but is intuitive. Weight wise - imagine previous 1d versions without battery - a BIG difference - closer to the 5d and very comfortable. Buffer management is similar to the 5d also, but obviously with x2 digic III's its FAST. The 1Ds mkIII is going to be a dream machine based on this :crying:

:(:(:(

* Dusts off crappy ISA which is doing nothing at the moment*

:D

Thanks Jon. And glad to hear you're getting on so well with the Mk III. Not that I doubted you would after seeing Ian's at WHF ;) Have you found the live view of any real use as yet?

Thanks Jon. And glad to hear you're getting on so well with the Mk III. Not that I doubted you would after seeing Ian's at WHF ;) Have you found the live view of any real use as yet?

Fantastic for macro - its funny as when this feature was discussed months ago i was scathing - shows what i know! You can magnify up to x10 on your focal point to focus (MF only, no AF in liveview as you block the AF sensor) and boy, you can see how even the slightest BREATH causes a million vibrations! Using it tethered for live view is awesome - no excuse for OOF macro now (on inanimates at least!)

Back