quick help needed. sb600 on D60

Name
Mathew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, need some help please.

Went into jacobs in chelsea thisafternoon to buy an sb600 for my d60.

I was under the impression that I did not need an infra red sender to use it off the camera!

Is this true as I really want one but haven't got the money to buy the sensor!

Thanks guys

Maty

You would need a su800 (flash commander) to control it. Your other option is to use a sync cable, but obviously this limits how far away you can move the flash. Some of the nikon range can fire the sb600 remotly, but not the D60.

Thanks very much. Does anyone know if I can use a kenro TF005 transmitter to fire the sb600?

It does say that it is an IR control for off head flashes?

If you're using anything other than an SB-800 or SU-800 to trigger the SB-600 (assuming the Kenro would trigger it) then you'd lose ttl metering, so you'd be as well getting either a cord (SC-17, 28 or 29 or one of the Ebay clones) which would retain the ttl metering or a set of Cactus triggers, which won't, but would allow the flash to be moved further from the camera

I would have thought that you'd be able to use the built in Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) with your D60 to trigger the SB600. Set the SB600 into remote mode and then use the pop up flash on your D60 as the commander - you'll need to put the D60 in the relevant mode (have a look in the manual). That way you can use your SB600 off camera.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks guys, does anyone know how much these items will cost me? Obviously the flash is costing a bit

Dont think the D60 supports CLS......hence suggestions to use other commanders or other means of triggering

Dont think the D60 supports CLS......hence suggestions to use other commanders or other means of triggering

Correct....it doesn't, as I said above the op will need either a cable (from £25 for an ebay copy) or an SU-800 (from around £225) to retain ttl

yes its what I suggested BUT the flash will only fire in manual ie you will loose the iTTL metering. Use the on camera flash to trigger the sb600. You cannot adjust the power of the on camera flash in the normal sense, but you can set the compensation to -3 which I guess will do the same thing.

non ittl is not a big deal, take the pic and check on the screen and adjust exposure as you go.....

Can't you adjust power of popup on d60?You certainly can on the D40 using manual flash mode.

Can't you adjust power of popup on d60?You certainly can on the D40 using manual flash mode.

I couldnt see a way of using the flash manually, Someone else know how to do this?

OK found it, can set from full power down to 1/32nd.....

^^ ok can you tell me how to set up both the camera and the flash to be able to do this? was playing for hours and couldn't achieve this!!

No! it just triggers the flash which will have to be on manual.

You dont really need ttl anyway these days, take a picture and look at the result. Too dark? open up the aperture, too light, close down.....or is that just too simple?

You can also vary the distance of the flash to achieve the same result. I think these days we are all brainwashed into doing auto everything rather than just working out simpler and cheaper alternatives!

Back