Quick photo viewer wanted

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Before I import things into Lightroom I like to have a quick look through and delete a fair load of pictures. For this purpose I have generally used the Windows Photos App but it's starting to p*** me off in that after a few seconds it 'enhances' the picture. I don't want it to but a quick look around the net tells me that I can't actually stop it.

Anyone know of a free down and dirty piece of software that will allow me to quickly view and delete pictures?

Last edited:
For a few £'s FastRawViewer IMO a top notch program. I did start with Faststone image Viewer (free???) but was not too happy with it.......so paid I think £15 for the aforementioned FRV

HTH :)

Last edited:
Yes that looks like it might do the trick. I have downloaded the trial version (1 month) but it only costs £17.50 to buy it.

I have been using faststone for more years than i can remember... use it all the time :)

Yes, I think I'll use Faststone. It's very much like Irfanview but I can't get Irfanview to open Fuji RAW files.

Another thumbs up for Faststone

For IrfanView you might want to try installing the PlugIns package, which includes 'CamRAW' - I can view X100T RAFs with this (not sure about more recent formats):

+1. Plugins are very much required for many other reasons including support for color management, etc. I can't understand why they are simply not an integral part of the app.

P.S. I wish there was a way to uninstall the Windows built in app. It is such a garbage

Faststone for me also, great for quick culls and some dirty edits before culling on occasion.

OK, I have decided on Faststone it does exactly what I want. Thanks all.

Yes that looks like it might do the trick. I have downloaded the trial version (1 month) but it only costs £17.50 to buy it.

I have the free version of Faststone and it opens both Fuji and Nikon raws quite happily. FastRawViewer looks a nice bit of kit though.

I would *highly* recommend installing QuickLook on any Win10 machine you come across. It replicates one of the most useful features of the OSX finder - hit space and it previews pretty much any file type.

GitHub - QL-Win/QuickLook: Bring macOS “Quick Look” feature to Windows

(You can also get it from the Windows 10 app store if you don't like GitHub)

I have the free version of Faststone and it opens both Fuji and Nikon raws quite happily. FastRawViewer looks a nice bit of kit though.

I would *highly* recommend installing QuickLook on any Win10 machine you come across. It replicates one of the most useful features of the OSX finder - hit space and it previews pretty much any file type.

GitHub - QL-Win/QuickLook: Bring macOS “Quick Look” feature to Windows

(You can also get it from the Windows 10 app store if you don't like GitHub)

I have no idea about GitHub but what you describe may be useful for me..................Windows have an App (really should be integral to the OS !) Raw file viewer BUT to install it you need to have the Windows Store installed but I don't have it.................might have been a decision I made when I installed W10 but other than re-installing W10 I cannot get Store so the GitHub alternative caught my attention as my Olympus .orf files are invisible to W10 explorer :(

PS in common with all downloads.......if it passes an AV scan , MalwareBytes & Superantispyware scans.................it should be "safe" to install/use, or there other issues to be concerned about with such 3rd party GitHub programs???

Last edited:
I don't think the Windows Store is completely free of malware either. One thing you can try is checking files here:
Nothing is completely risk-free to install, but hopefully well-known packages with good reputations to lose are somewhat safer than some others. You could always download the source code for that one, check every line, and compile it yourself. :)

PS in common with all downloads.......if it passes an AV scan , MalwareBytes & Superantispyware scans.................it should be "safe" to install/use, or there other issues to be concerned about with such 3rd party GitHub programs???

GitHub is just a repository for "stuff". It's probably safer than most sources because it's for open source code so people can take a look at what it's doing. Theorretically bad guys could try to sneak malware onto there but the repo should be fairly well controlled. It can be fiddly to install stuff but in this case I'd just the .msi from here Releases · QL-Win/QuickLook · GitHub and stay away from the nightly builds.

It's worth noting that the GitHub version does a couple of things that the MS store one doesn't probably because those actions are blocked for apps in the store.

Differences Between Distributions · QL-Win/QuickLook Wiki · GitHub

Back