• Cable from camera to laptop

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Card reader

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

What would you say is the best and quickest way to get your photos from camera to laptop.

There is cable from camera to laptop(although that will take your camera out of action) or whip the memory card out and pop it in a card reader.

What is the quickest?

Wifi card or tethered !

I remove the SD card from the camera and stick it in the SD card reader on my monitor which has a USB 3 connection to the computer, my cameras only have USB 2 connections.

Reactions: Nod
Depends on the camera and it depends on the card reader.

My iMac has and SD card slot which, I believe, is PCIe which means it is super quick so I use that or a USB-C card reader on my Macbook.

It doesn't help that Olympus cameras have proprietary USB cables which are stuck in the bottom of the drawer but anyway I find it easier to just pop out the memory card.

Like Paul, I have USB3 slots so use a USB3 card reader. Apart from anything else, that prevents the cat from pulling the camera off the table IF she decided the cable was a good toy.

I stick the SD card in my laptop and Bob's yer uncle;)!

Just got me the Lexar Workflow or whatever it's called (Thunderbolt version with an SD reader) it's super quick! I was using the SD slot in my iMac, but reaching around the back was annoying and started damaging my cards (sharp edges on that sucker!)

Card reader for SD cards.
Wired connection for CF cards.

Not so much to do with transfer speed as the mechanical resilience of the card.

I remove the SD card from the camera and stick it in the SD card reader

+1

Yep, and my card readers work through
Thunderbolt on my MacPro..

Just got me the Lexar Workflow or whatever it's called (Thunderbolt version with an SD reader) it's super quick! I was using the SD slot in my iMac, but reaching around the back was annoying and started damaging my cards (sharp edges on that sucker!)

Yes, it's a real pita trying to access the card slot on the back of the iMac. Why was it put there? Aesthetic reasons possibly? Still stupid.

I use my MacBook Pro's SD card reader, it's convenient and acceptably fast. I've never compared it against a USB3 or Thunderbolt card reader, would be an interesting exercise. I ingest via Photo Mechanic and can start viewing and culling as each image completes downloading. I've just been doing that minutes ago with this afternoons shoot.

Back