Qusetion : how to carry my camera/lens?

Name
Jared
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

Im new here and new to SLR photography...I came to photography through my love of birds.

So I jumped in with both feet and got a 7D and the 400mm f5.6 prime yesterday...I've been out this morning and I cant believe the pics I've already got...sooo much better than the results I was getting with my bridge:)

So heres my question...how do I carry this camera/lens combination when in the field??

Do you guys use something other than the out of box Canon strap.. do I carry it round my neck or on the shoulder? Should I carry it round on a monopod...is this even safe? I want to stay fairly mobile for the minute.

Need some help as I'm slightly terrified of dropping it!

Thanks for any help :)

I don't have a lens as big as the 400mm so this may not be suitable for you.

I don't do much in the way of wildlife photography but do walk hills quite a bit - mainly in NW Scotland.

I find that the camera strap works fine if I put it around my neck and put an arm through it.

However, that is without a big, and I assume fairly heavy, telephoto.

I'm sure other will be along soon with more ideas.

Welcome to TP by the way.

Dave

Chuck mine on the front seat of the car...........:)

Sensible answer is that I either carry it in a long lens bag, if I take it.Carry it attached to the tripod over my shoulder or just carry it by the foot.

I was in Richmond park during the deer rut in the autumn and a lot of the guys were carrying the lens mounted on the tripod/monopod over their shoulders in the same manner as a brickie with a hod of bricks as suggested by Andrew.

andrewc said:
I often carry my camera on a monopod over my shoulder. I keep a hold on the strap and make sure the quick release head is in the locked position.

Thanks Andrew...I think I'm going to try that. How would I go about it? Does the lens collar connect directly to the monopod or do I need some special kind of head on the monopod??

Cheaper tripods such as Jessops own come with a built in head and quick release plate. The cheap should also shout 'not to be trusted' with throwing a lens and camera over your shoulder.

I have a 100-400 and attach it to a Giottos 3270B Monopod with a Manfrotto tilt head. The quick release plate screws in to the foot of the lens.

I either chuck it over my shoulder or hold the lens foot like a little handle. I also have the battery grip which has its own hand strap so sometimes use that.

As said a Black rapid or a Q strap.

I have the Q strap for my 7d with 50-500 lens on and I have been running across fields with it this afternoon.

I carry my 400/5.6 with a Black Rapid strap and it works great, I even carried a 300/2.8 (double the weight of the 400/5.6) with the BR strap with no problems. Bandolier type straps like the BR are so much more comfortable than shoulder or neck straps.

Back