RØDE video mic [shotgun style]

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
I bought this to try out on my D800. I'm just filming the kids for prosperity, the sound doesn't have to be immaculate or anything. But I'm getting a humm noise on recordings. Like a low hiss. Without the mic, using the Dslr's own built in mic, there is no such hiss/humm, but the voices don't sound so good. The mic definitely improves over all sound, but how to get rid of this humming noise?

Seems like a good place for my first post :) Does it sound like mechanical whirring? As a test can you try recording with the mic off the camera body and pointed away from it? As it has it's own shock mount you shouldn't by rights get any vibration sounds from the D800, but always worth a check.

The other thing ofc is the low pass filter switch, have you tried testing it with/without that too?

Yeah, tested with the filter on. Still get the humming. I'll test it more later. There is also 3 settings within the battery compartment, for 10db and 20db, and obviously off. Would they have much to do with it? Mine is set to 10db. I figured go with the middle. I know nothing about sounds really :D

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Last night I was at a gig and shot some video, just using the on-cam mic. The result was terrible audio-wise. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I have the audio levels too high in-cam?

What PP is good for adjusting audio?

I use this mic and yes, the sound is a bit flat, but it's generally reliable. I use it with the microphone set to 2, as on 3 you get clipping quite easily and on auto, you get that rise and fall of levels as it tries to balance the speech against the ambient noise.

If there's a strong electrical signal nearby - power lines for example - it will create a hum/hiss in the background. I've made this mistake a few times until I realise my error.

You're picking up background noise from somewhere then amplifying it.

If you can get the Mic closer, you'll improve the signal to noise ratio and require less gain.

I haven't had time to re-try it much, been busy with DIY crap :/ - But ... and I must be either blind, or a complete dope - probably a bit of both :D - I cannot find an auot gain control on the D800.

Back